Reload this Page >

How to travel in luxury :San Fransico, Napa, Yosemite, 17 mile Drive

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 1998, 10:55 AM
Lee

Message: My husband and I are planning to visit San Francisco early September. We have booked the Ritz Carlton in SF, then we want to visit Napa. We'll try to get a reservation in Auberge du Soleil. Is 1 night enough to see Napa ? If we rent a car and drive down to 17 mile drive which is the best place to stay (most exclusive). Coming from a cement jungle like Hong Kong we really look forward to see things like the coast , woods and wakening up to the sounds of birds.Any comments on the Post Ranch Inn,Big Sur? I understand Yosemite is very nice but how far to drive from SF and should we stay overnight and if so, where? We can only stay in California for about 1 week before New York and Europe. We are in our mid 30's and both attended American Universities but we have not been back in the States at least 10 years now. We just spend 2 months driving in France and spend some time in Bordeaux adn St. Emillion visiting the vineyards of Mouton Rothschild,Chateau Margaux, Chateau Cos Destournel and this trip we plan to see the California vineyards.Any suggestions on restaurants, hotels please.If in case we fell in love with San Francisco and would like to spend more time are there any nice service apartments or apts/house for rent? By the way,any one knows of car rental company in San Francisco that rents luxury car?Something like the Beverly Hills Car Rental in L.A. Want to rent a FAST car before we are too old to climb in, not to mention driving one...
Please send me via email if you can
[email protected]
Thanks for the help
Lee

Old Aug 2nd, 1998, 08:25 PM
Help!Let us know where you think is the BEST

We are waiting for people to share their experience on what they think is the BEST in SF, 17 Mile Drive, Napa, even New York, London, Paris . I can also advise on THE BEST in Asia which I am familiar with if anyone is interesed. Thanks
Please refer to previous message.
Lee

Old Aug 3rd, 1998, 02:49 AM
sreichel

Lee,

Make sure you reserve a room in the concierge level at the Ritz for an exceptional level of service. Our stay there was memorable. I strongly recommend the Dining Room at the Ritz as your number one dining choice, followed by Fleur de Lys. It's roughly a 4 1/2 to 5 hour drive to Yosemite. I would stay at the Ahwanhnee if you can get reservations. Reserve a room in the main hotel instead of one of the cabins. They told us when we made our reservations that the two were identical, but as it turned out, the cabins are not are conditioned and we couldn't keep the windows open because of all the smoke drifting into the cabin from the campsites. The food at the Ahwahnee is passable and the setting is very romantic.
In wine country, try dining at Tra Vigne in St. Helena. It's wonderful. Also, get a reservation for a tour of Opus 1. Have a great trip.

Shelly

Old Aug 3rd, 1998, 07:42 AM
Meg

I second the recommendation for Tra Vigne in Napa - excellent food, and great wine, of course. We enjoyed the Silver Oak Winery. You can call 707/944-8808 for reservations which are required. There were only 6 people in the group we toured with. For a place to stay in Big Sur, try Las Ventanas. I've never stayed there, but am told it's THE BEST. They have a website - it looks incredible. There are a lot of great bed and breakfasts in the Carmel/Pacific Grove area. I think September is peak travel time there, so you may have trouble getting a reservation - CALL NOW! I love the drive on Hwy. 1 south of Carmel to San Simeon - it's just incredible. Have a good trip.

Old Aug 3rd, 1998, 08:46 AM
kam

Yosemite is fully booked by now--the Ahwanhnee goes first and reservations must be made about a year ahead. Probably the top location in Monterey/Carmel/17 mile drive is the Lodge at Pebble Beach. I am one of a minority that doesn't find Big Sur a good place to stay! But drive down and have lunch at Nepenthe. You might have more fun just renting a convertible---be careful about fast cars--and remember the CHP!

Old Aug 3rd, 1998, 11:37 AM
kat

Lots of questions -- I'll address some of them:

In San Francisco, the Ritz Carlton is delightfully, especially, as noted by an earlier poster,the concierge level. The only place in town I would recommend over the Ritz is The Sherman House is is a very different experience with only 14 or so rooms with VERY high level of service and no public areas (e.g., bar, restaurant, grounds not open to the public).

Yosemite is grand. It also is a bit of a drive and crowded at this time of year. You indicate also an interest in Big Sur and my inclination would be to favor Big Sur over Yosemite. Rather than the Post Ranch, I'd steer you to the Ventana Inn at Big Sur, much more luxe, private and sophisticated than Post Ranch. In Big Sur, the best restaurant is at Ventana Inn; the restaurant at Post Ranch is runner up. There are no others, really. However, near Carmel there's the Rio Bravo at Four Corners . . . imaginative, casual and delicious.

In Monterey/Pacific Grove/17-Mile-Drive area, I recommend the Inn at Spanish Bay. Don't miss Point Lobos -- spellbinding, timeless, gorgeous.

In Wine Country, Auberge du Soleil is my preferred choise; if you can't get accommodations consider Kenwood Inn or Meadowood. The best restaurant in the area (if not in the United States) is The French Laundry (difficult to get reservations). Other recommended restaurants: Terra, Tra Vigne (very noisy), Auberge du Soleil, Mustards Grill.

Old Aug 5th, 1998, 02:22 AM
Lee

Thank you for all the tips and help regarding our trip. Much appreciated.
Lee