Search

Hawaii loves cash

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 01:21 PM
Rose

Hawaii loves cash

I am planning our first trip to Hawaii and what is surprising to me that many places recommended in the guidebooks seems to accept credit card but when I check their websites or call them directly for more information they asked for payments made in cash, travelers checks or personal checks. This is something new to us. We traveled to Europe, Africa, Asia and we never had this problem. Is this something unique to Hawaii? I am not talking only about small BnBs but resorts like Paniolo Hale on Kauai.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 02:12 PM
xxx3

There are 2 major reasons for preferring cash: to avoid paying the transaction fee to the credit card company, or to hide income from the IRS.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 02:19 PM
Faina

I was asked to pay cash in Toronto hotel. Credit card companies charge them a fee (% of $$ amount) so they do all they can to get cash. I was asked upon check-in if I can go to an ATM to get cash to pay Yeah, right! When I mentioned their ad in AAA book they took my MasterCard with no further problems.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 02:24 PM
xxx3

I bet they did. The credit card companies would have a fit if they found out that the hotels were discouraging people from using the card.

Am Ex even sends out a little form to cardholders once in a while, asking if they're had any business discourage them from using their Am Ex card (i.e., asking them to use cash or another card). Am Ex charges businesses a higher transaction fee than MC or Visa.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 06:36 AM
Dick

I'm just curious...did the Toronto hotel want a credit card impring..in addition to the cash?

Another reason they like cash is that guests have more recourse (if they have problems) if they have paid by credit card.

Would guess it's harder to get you money back if you sent in cash deposit and then have to cancel.

A B&B is one thing,,,,,but a city hotel that requires cash is too odd for me. perhaps you stumbled int an "hourly rate" hotel in error.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 10:33 AM
JPM

Faina, anytime someone ask you to pay cash when they clearly accept a credit card, ask for a 3% discount! This is usually the fee they pay to a CC company. Why do they pay it? To get the extra business that comes in from people wanting to use a CC. So if they want the business, they should also be willing to give the discount. Gas Stations do this all the time, many even have it posted on their signs "3% discount for Cash".

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 10:43 AM
Faina

Dick, no, it was not the situation where I'd be charged twice And no, it was not the kind of hotel which rents by an hour... at least no red lights there! It was approx. 15-room hotel run by a family with hired cleaning help. Over the phone I gave the CC number, and asked for cash only once upon arrival. No further problems. I did report them to some Toronto hotel association or something, it was several years ago, never got an answer Anyway, it did not spoil my stay, and I'd love to go back!

JPM, thank you, but I still think it's safer to use a credit card - it's like having insurance in case of a dispute.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 10:48 AM
Karl

Rose I think you were using condo operators yes? that would make me leary using cash but checks they just want to be able to secure their business without credit disputes if someone decides to not show. They are small businesses though Rose. I suspect a condo in Africa has some kind of corporate support that is why you were not asked it. I certainly would not send cash to anyone the risk in the mail is a problem all by itself. Never had anyone ask for cash in Hawaii.

As for American Express guide books tell you that it is rarely accepted on Kauai.