Search

Hawaii June 30th through July 10th - 3 Islands with a 19 and 16 year old

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hawaii June 30th through July 10th - 3 Islands with a 19 and 16 year old

Hi,

I know with the number of days we will be there, a lot of people recommend 1 Island. We've chosen to do 3. First 2 days on Oahu, 4 days on Kauai and 4 on the Big Island. We have timeshares and couldn't get anything on Maui. Anything anyone can suggest as a can't miss will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Oct 19th, 2011, 02:17 PM

The Big Island is just that: BIG. What to do depends on where you are staying, what activities you most want to do while there, and how much time you want to spend driving around.

If you are staying in Kona, it's a three-hour drive to Volcanoes National Park, for example.
Old Oct 19th, 2011, 02:40 PM

If you enjoy visiting airports and car rental agencies and waiting for checkin after 3 or 4pm, it sounds like a plan. Keep trying, maybe Maui will open up and you can visit that airport too!
Old Oct 19th, 2011, 02:57 PM

That is an ambitious itinerary. I'd have chose two islands, not three.

The packing, airports, car rental, checking in are going to be tiring.
Old Oct 19th, 2011, 03:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
With 10 days, I would do two islands. Do Oahu and Big Island with your boys.
Old Oct 19th, 2011, 03:16 PM

Ok, I'm back with thoughts now. Sorry if I was abrupt.
Oahu: I would spend the time checking out Pearl Harbour and Chinatown and the hotel including a stellar meal.
Kauai: I would spend a day exploring the northshore, a day exploring Polihale and the canyon and the rest enjoying the area near the time share. Knowing where the timeshare is would prove helpful.
BI: I would try to visit Volcano Village, Place of Refuge and Hawi to the end of the road. Again, where you are staying would prove helpful.

Some people like to pack it all in and have a whirlwind experience. I have read trip reports that I thought would be impossible and turned into grande adventures. Different strokes. And from my experience, there are no bad choices in hawaii.
Old Oct 19th, 2011, 03:16 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I totally agree. It is a long flight to Oahu and you will be tired. Only 2 days there is sort of 'why bother'. Then you lose more than 1/2 a day every time you change islands. Depending on the locations of your timeshares, it could end up taking most of a day to arrive at your next accommodations.

I'd pick 2 islands -- any two.
Old May 24th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Sorry for the late reply, thanks for the info.....we realize it's an ambitious schedule, but want to see what we can, we haven't been there in over 20 years, the kids never, we'll sleep when we get home....will be hectic, but ultimately, it'll still be Hawaii....doing a tour of Oahu, including the Arizona......have lined up surf lessons on the Big Island, and we're staying in Princeville on Kauai, so the North Shore is a definite....thanks again.
Old May 24th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

To HR_Puffin.....we are staying in the Wyndham at Waikiki Beach Walk in Honolulu....in Kona, at Wyndham Royal Sea Cliff and at Wyndham Ka `Eo Kai in Princeville....
Old May 24th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Quick question, are there any Brady Bunch style Luaus? We're looking for the dancing and fire.....thanks...
Old May 24th, 2012, 09:20 AM

Pretty sure the Waikoloa Beach Marriott has a good "fire" show:
"A traditional imu ceremony begins the evening revealing the delicious contents of the underground oven. After an amazing spread of delicious and authentic Hawaiian food you are left to sit back and enjoy the amazing Polynesian revue that will take you on a tour of Tahiti, New Zealand, Hawaii and Samoa and ends with the spellbinding Samoan Fire dance!"
The Hilton, right down the road, doesn't specify flames:
"Hilton Waikoloa Village is proud to present an unforgettable Big Island Luau - Legends of the Pacific. A dinner show, brought to you by Tihati Productions, is entertaining for all ages. The evening starts with interactive demonstrations and Polynesian tattoo artists. Then enjoy the exotic Polynesian dances and music of the Pacific Rim, highlighted by an expansive Waikoloa luau buffet. Experience the traditional imu presentation - the native underground oven, featuring roasted kalua pig and taste many island favorites. The sampling of island foods is perfectly accompanied by Hawaiian and Pacific acts by professional performers."
Old May 24th, 2012, 09:21 AM

oops, forgot to paste this one, in Kona:
The Royal Kona Luau offers Spectacular oceanfront views, beautiful Hawaiian sunsets and the sound of waves against the lava rocks provide a stunning backdrop for the Royal Kona Resort Luau. Enjoy an evening of feasting, music and dance as the performers including Hula Dancers and Fire Dancers tribute to the fascinating legends and journeys of the South Pacific and Hawaii.
Old May 24th, 2012, 10:13 AM

Brady Bunch Luau? Just thinking of Vincent Price in the lava tubes/caves gives me the SHIVERS.

I don't know anything about sylvia's suggestions, and I have not gone to this one, but I think it might fit the bill, It is an generational long standing luau, and if you don't want to do the whole umu dinner thing, they allow a certain amount of guests to enjoy the show for what is comparably a nominal fee. Real aloha in an interesting setting about 40 minutes? from your lodging on Kauai.

http://www.smithskauai.com/luau.html

HR no longer has a screen name here, but I do and would offer these suggestions.

Kauai : Just enjoy the North Shore and Kapaa. So much to see and do in that general area, including the many wonderful beaches, the lighthouse, the town of Hanalei, the pier at Hanalei at sunset with locals and tourists alike. Although I love all sides of the island, I wouldn't try to fit it all in, but if I did, I would do one long day visiting the other side including Waimea and Polihale. If you don't take that day to explore the other side, you might do surfing with Titus Kinimakas' surf school, although you may have to drive down towards Kapaa to catch a wave. He is full hawaiian and one of the old big wave school surfers and his school is highly regarded.
http://www.hawaiianschoolofsurfing.com/

Hawaii: Given 4 days, I would spend one snorkling and visiting Place of Refuge. I would spend another touring the Kohala beaches, and I would spend a third driving up to Hawi and hiking down Pololu would be a treat. Take the mountain road one way and the ocean road the other way. Although I love the other side, with just 4 days, that is a whole lot of driving, especially for those in the back seat. I might just skip it. . . unless there is a lava event, then toss out all plans and try to get a nights lodging last minute near the night viewing area. Of course a whilrwind BIG day of hundreds of miles of driving is possible to get a glimpse, but only you will know, and can decide when you get there. That is why I suggest possibly doing the surf lessons on Kauai which is a managable size. However I have no knowledge of the surfing conditions and schools in Kona that time of year.

Safe journey
Old May 24th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick reply!
Old May 24th, 2012, 10:27 AM

On Oahu - spend one day - going early to snorkel at Hanauma Bay (20 minute drive from Waikiki/Hono - http://www1.honolulu.gov/parks/facility/hanaumabay/ ) and continue on driving around to Kailua. If you are up for more driving/sight seeing - keep heading up the east side of the island to Turtle Bay and over to Haleiwa - or take the tunnel roads back to Honolulu/Waikiki.

For BI - I would try to fly into Hilo - see Akaka Falls - spend a night or two up at the Volcano (about 20 minutes up the hill from Hilo) - and then enjoy a beautiful, scenic drive over to Kona - stopping along the way.

For Kauai - if you like cruising - as I do - one day - head down from North Shore early - stop in Poipu for breakfast, then drive over to the Grand Canyon of the Pacific/Waimea - and come back down - and have a late lunch in Waimea town - and enjoy your leisurly drive back to the North Shore. Back seaters can sleep if they like.

And when going from one island to another - you can see stuff before you check in, so don't worry about waiting to check in at your hotel/condo.
Old May 24th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, some great ideas here, much appreciated!
Old May 24th, 2012, 10:44 AM

And if you are going to spend 4 days at the place on Kona side - again suggest you get up early - drive to the Volcano (stop at City of Refuge and other places on the way), enjoy the Volcano area - and then drive down to Hilo - and north to Akaka Falls, and on up to Waimea town for dinner/hamburgers. From Hilo North to Waimea - the road is fairly straight - as it is once you get down to the west coast side coast around the Mauna Kea.
Old May 24th, 2012, 11:03 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
With such a short time on Oahu, I wouldn't go to Chinatown myself. With a 1/2 day devoted to seeing Pearl Harbor, then getting to and from the airport, etc. I'd just stay around Waikiki teh rest of your very short stay. Go to the beach, maybe walk DiamondHead, if by any luck you are there on a Saturday morning go to the KCC farmers market, see some free music & dance in the evenings, have a nice dinner overlooking the beach, like that.
Old May 24th, 2012, 01:40 PM

I agree with Tomsd that if everyone is up for a very long day, a circle tour of the island can be great, including things he mentioned.

I also agree with Suze that with just 2 days on Oahu, unless the boys are hankering to see the north shore, which won't have the mind blowing winter surf, staying put is a good thing.

Enjoy
Old May 26th, 2012, 05:10 PM

We have just returned from 16 days in Hawaii. We visited four islands. Although we spent an average of 4 days on each, I have to say that at least two of those could be discounted for inter-island travel time.
In hind sight three islands would have been sufficient but we too coming from Australia wanted to see as much as we could. We certainly did not do everything we wanted, so perhaps we can visit again far into the future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -