Hawaii Jeep - 4wd?

Old Mar 17th, 2006, 09:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hawaii Jeep - 4wd?

I just read on this board that Alamo's Jeep Wrangler's are not 4wd. Is there a way to find out whether Jeeps a company offers are 4wd or not...and does 2wd defeat the purpose of the jeep?

Old Mar 18th, 2006, 12:04 AM

They rent them for the appeal. They do not want them taken off road. Same with any of the companies. Also, I think (but cannot swear to it) that it states in the rental agreement that any damage sustained off the paved road voids any LDW coverage.
8-)
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 01:54 PM

You could call the local agency, they can tell you. I've been all over the BI and Maui, and the only place that I've found that a 4by was really needed was driving to the top of Mauna Kea (its required). Otherwise, a 4by won't get you anywhere that a conventional vehicle and a bit of hoofing will.

We rented a Wrangler at the insistance of our kids a few years ago, and for two adults and two kids, it was very impractical. It had No luggage space, and was not very comfortable, particularly on a longer trip like to Volcano NP. Plus there was no place to lock stuff up when you left the rig, and putting all of the canvas on was a major pain, which had to be done in case it rained overnight.

I was really glad to see the Wrangler go away.
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 02:51 PM

I am confuseed. you can't purchase a wrangler in2wd from chrysler, so this makes no sense and i would seriously doubt they are somehow rigged so you can't use it.
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 02:57 PM

i just called the alamo in lihue and she assured me that they are 4wd
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 04:52 AM

So all of them should be 4wd? Even at Dollar. My husband really wants a 4wd and right now Dollar has them cheap. I hope they are a 4wd because I had a great car before he made me change.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 05:14 AM

for your piece of mind do what biker did and call the local office of your particular rental company, as someone else mentioned keep in mind that it is not very practical for luggage unless you know for a fact that the only time you'll luggage will be with you is to get to and from the airport. have fun.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 11:11 AM

I've reserved a wrangler for 6 days, $219 total in Maui. I had a Sams Club discount, and also the Entertainment book has many coupons. This was the best deal I found. I am worried now about it being impractical with having to put the top on and off all the time?!!
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 12:03 PM
TheWeasel

Greenrealtor - You don't "have" to put the top on and off all the time. You could choose to leave it on and not worry about it. All the windows should zip out if you want that more natural feeling, and all that's left is basically the roof.

If you do want to take the top down, it's not all that complicated. It might seem like difficult the first time or two, but it's really not, as long as someone shows you how to do it properly.

And as others have said, I don't think there's a Jeep Wrangler made that is not 4WD, but most (if not all) rental companies will void the contract if you take them off-road, so it's all at your own risk. Plus, they suck for locking up valuables and transporting luggage.

Old Mar 24th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Wow, I turn around and suddenly my thread got new life! I found out that my Jeep - Alamo (Big Island KOA) is 4wd. They do not have 2wd at their facility.

Practicality-wise, its fine for us - its just me and my girlfriend.