Worried about crime on Road to Hana..help!

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 08:48 PM
Lisa

Worried about crime on Road to Hana..help!

I have read a lot about the various car break-ins on the roas to Hana. I have heard evrything from people breaking into locked trunks...to people going thru the side panel to open trunk by latch. I have heard to keep your doors open, but put stuff in trunk. (But then they can get into the trunk anyways via the inside of car). UGH! We are planning a 2 day trip to Hana and WILL have luggage. If we stop at an area, we don't want our luggage stolen. What is the BEST style of rental car to get, in order to prevent those crimes from happening.
Info much appreciated!
Thanks.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 04:45 AM
s

I think you're being paranoid, no offense. Crimes can happen anywhere, just be aware of your surroundings. Really, what are the odds that you'll get robbed? Just try to enjoy the trip. You won't enjoy it if you're worried about this.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 04:46 AM
Ann

I lived in Hawaii for several years. The locals have been robbing rental cars for a long time. I don't think there's a car they CAN'T get into!

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 05:25 AM
joan

We did a 3 day trip to Hana with a rented convertible with luggage also. We put everything in the trunk except our lunch cooler and guidebook, stopped a few times along the way, then checked into our rental home. After we unloaded we explored the area a little more thoroughly. We saved the next day for our longer hikes, but really, just don't worry. It won't do any good, and the odds are you'll be just fine! Enjoy! Where are you staying, by the way?

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 06:19 AM
Dick

You probably would only be at risk if you stoped at a trailhead along the way and went hiking. Local kids watch to see who looks like they will be away from their car for an extended period.

If you are just in and out of your car for short sightseeing you should be fine.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 08:31 AM
x

Ann-IF the locals are breaking into rental cars all the time what are the police etc. doing about it??? IMO, this is disgusting. Hawaii depends on tourism and the locals are robbing the tourists blind. There is NO excuse for this crap!

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 09:39 AM
Dick

x,

The local kids know that even if they are arrested.....the chances that a tourist will return for a court proceeding is slim.

Car break-ins are non violent low priority crime.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 01:18 PM
Lenore

Crime happens in every state, whether it's a tourist state or not. We were also worried about theft, thanks to all the warnings and paranoia from posters on this site. However, we never saw any type of crime. You just have to be aware of your surroundings and act accordingly. Have a good trip!

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 01:44 AM
com

Breakins are rampant in HI although I don't know the Hana road situation, which would make getaways hard. I rarely stop along there, but you can get an idea by looking for areas of broken glass in the parking spots - very common normally.

A recent article in HI newspaper (can't find online at the moment) outlined how car related thefts are astronomical, and most recently involve identity theft only (no items taken, and you only notice your life is upended a year later, taking years to correct).

It's very high in HI due to number of tourists, the worst "ice" (meth drug) problem in the nation, and the most bleeding heart judicial system around (accountable to nobody).

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 05:32 PM
p.

Lenore sums it up well. I'd add a suggestion to take the minimum of credit cards with you on vacation (anywhere come to that) and keep them & drivers license etc with you at all times. Never had a problem with this myself & our last rental on Maui was a Jeep !

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 05:44 PM
bb

sounds pretty dangerous. stay home.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 08:08 AM
dave

Common sense can go a long way in easing your worries. As for the road to Hana, most of the stops along the road are pulloffs to the side with cars going past every few seconds. Not an easy place to break into a car especially if one doesn't want to be seen. However, if you hike back from the road for more than 15 minutes, common sense says that you are an easier target. I'd see the stuff near the road without worry, and after dropping off your luggage, feel free to go back to the more remote areas for exploring. As was posted above, the Hana road makes for a tricky getaway for a thief, so I wouldn't worry there. Driving down side roads where locals can just walk away after a break in presents more risk, but again, the Hana road would not be my biggest concern for theft. Enjoy, but be smart.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 06:23 PM
Lori

Hey Lisa,
my husband and I did the road to Hana this past May. We stopped many times to hike at trailheads along the road. Never had a problem. There is so much traffic along the road to Hana that I can't imagine it being much of a problem. I guess the thing I'd be more concerned about is do you have what it takes to do the road to Hana? I mean, if you're worried about crime in HAWAII, how much of a nervous wreck are you going to be after you've done your 300th curve and hear there's another couple hundred to go?