Reload this Page >

Hawaii Jan 2000, Where to stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 1999, 07:14 AM
J

A very very special person and I are going to Hawaii for a week, around the second week of January.

"Cost no Object", which island is best (want warmer), which hotel/resort is best, what should our itinerary be? I'm NOT trying to impress her, I just want a GREAT time.

Thanks.

Old Sep 10th, 1999, 06:49 AM
Liz

Go online to Conde Nast Traveler and look at their gold list. Best hotels are Four Seasons Maui, Hyatt Kauai, Halekulani Honolulu, Manale Bay and Lodge on Lanai and many more on each island.

Old Sep 11th, 1999, 07:17 AM
Jennifer

We were there in July and went to Kauai and then Maui. We really enjoyed seeing two different islands as they were very different. Kauai was very green & beautiful, but the down side was that we stayed on the north shore and it rained every day. (I don't think we would have had that problem if we had stayed in the south side.) We did a lot of hiking and adventuring. In Maui, it was more of a night life and touristy place. It had the Hard Rock Cafes, etc. It was sunny and beautiful every day that we were there.

Pick up some travel books on Hawaii to really get a feel for what each island has to offer and that should help a lot. We did not like the Hawaii for Dummies book, but got a lot out of the "Hawaii - Off the Beaten Path".

Good luck.

Old Sep 15th, 1999, 06:48 AM
J

Thinking of Mauna Lani @ the big island. Based on descriptions of the islands and resorts, this seems most attractive. What itinerary is recommended for a fun, different, romantic trip? We like doing a variety of things and consistently change our plans (read: unpredictable). We had a fantastic weekend in Paris last month, and spent most of the time in our hotel (Crillon), at restaurants, and shops. Only tourist things we did were eat at Jules Verne (Tour Eiffel), an hour at the Louvre, midnight Taxi tour of Paris, and a Crazy Horse show. This was her first trip there.

So..
Is this hotel located in a dry (we'll be there in January) area? Is it going to be sunny enough to spend some time on the beach? Which spots should we not miss? Ideas please?

This person means the world to me, and while we can't be together all the time, I want the time spent unforgettable.

Thanks

Old Sep 15th, 1999, 12:28 PM
Bart

Mauna Lani's the place. We've been to Hawaii about 8 times and have included 4 or 5 days on BI, specifically Mauna Lani the last 2 trips. My wife now compares all hotels to the Mauna Lani. We've been in February and the weather is fine. The ocean may be a bit cool(75) but the beach is great and the pool is warmer.
One of the best restaurants on ther island- The Canoe House is on sight.
Don't wait too long- There are lots of sporting(Professional) events in Hawaii in Jan and Feb. The Mauna Lani gets booked- so don't miss out.
If money is really no object and ask about the private bungalows. 24 hour valet, maid and cook and all for the bargain price of $3500/ night. Kevin Costner stayed there during the filming of Waterworld- now you know why the picture was a $ flop.
If you have any other specific questions email me.

Old Sep 15th, 1999, 08:25 PM
nj

I've stayed at several of Zagat's highest rated Hawaiian properties, and I think their rankings are pretty accurate in this case: Overall rating of 29: Lodge at Koele (Lanai); 28: Four Seasons Maui, Mauna Lani (Hawaii), Halekulani (Oahu) and Manele Bay (Lanai); 27: Grand Wailea (Maui), Ritz Maui, Mauna Kea (Hawaii).
Highest room ratings are: 29: Koele, Ihilani (Oahu); 28: Manele Bay, Halekulani, 4Seasons, Grand Wailea; 27: Mauna Lani, Hyatt Kauai, Princeville, Ritz Maui.
Conde Nast's 1999 survey: Overall ratings in readers poll: Koele 90.1, 4S Maui 89.2, Hyatt Kauai 88.2, Halekulani 87.2, Mauna Kea 87.2,Kea Lani (Maui) 87.2, Ritz Maui 86.9, Orchid Big Island (former Ritz) 86.9, Mauna Lani 86.7, Grand Wailea 83.2.
(For reference, the Crillon was rated at 75.8 in CN this year (but was 83.3 last year)).
Of course it depends what you're after as to what will make your trip satisfying. Lanai is very quiet, esp at night. I find the Big Island pretty low key...if there several days a bit too much so for my taste. But if your trip is going to be primarily focused on spending quality time with your travelling companion, the world beyond your resort may not bear any significance. I prefer Maui as a happy medium and the weather in the Wailea area is among the best in the islands. It's obviously a multifactorial decision, however.

Old Sep 16th, 1999, 06:50 PM
Kelly

Just thought I'd put in my vote for the Big Island. Mauna Lani Bay is great, but we much prefered the Orchid (formerly the Ritz) right next door. We walked over and ate at The Canoe House (magical), but we really felt that The Orchid was much more luxurious (unless you go for those bungalows) and up-to-date. It was the most romantic week of my life! I've also heard that for pure luxury, Kona Village is amazing...no phones, tv's, etc...just each other. You can hardly go wrong!

Old Sep 16th, 1999, 07:00 PM
Kelly

Just noticed your post about a BI itinerary, so I thought I'd throw in another few cents...The beauty of the BI is that very few things are touristy, IMHO. Great hiking, from easy to difficult. The Volcano is a no-brainer. Don't miss Akaka Falls, a very easy, paved hike just outside Hilo. Waipio Valley, either the lookout or hike down into it if you're adventurous. All the Hamakua Coast sites are more off-the-beaten-path" types and truly beautiful. Hapuna Beach is gorgeous, as is Mauna Kea (just get there early) and both are close to Mauna Lani. All the best restaurants are right in the area, but pricey, take your pick. If you go into town (Kailua-Kona) try Huggo's. Not super fancy, but great atmosphere right on the water, great place watch the sunset.