Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Advice for Chicago visit in mid-to-late Nov.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 1999, 08:00 PM
Nigel Doran

Thanks for the advice on the climate in Chicago at this time.
The tickets are now bought (British Airways non-stop 747, weekend departure including all taxes and charges for $420-ish) and we're ready to plan the holiday in more detail.
Will there still be boat trips at this time? Does it get dark early? Any good websites I should visit? And any recommendations on a good hotel (a chain like Westin, Hyatt etc. is O K) for around $100 discounted rate? F Y I, interests include theatre, architecture, food, wildlife/environment, beer and wine.

Thanks.

Old Aug 4th, 1999, 05:07 AM
Brian in Atlanta

You won't be able to get a Westin or Hyatt that's centrally located for US$100.

Consider the Best Western Inn of Chicago. It's a highrise that's very central and is a great value. Check it out at www.bestwestern.com. Also do a search on this site as it has been recommended by a number of posters in the past.

If it's full, there's a Motel 6 next door. It's also a highrise and a bit more basic, but also comfortable.

Old Aug 4th, 1999, 05:16 AM
Troy

I stayed at the Palmer House Hilton for $125 last November. Bring a jacket. Check out the Blueman Group. I dont remember the name of the the theater but the Chamber of Commerce should or search the web. Seeing a Blueman Group show is an experience that can not be duplicated or really explained. It involves audience participation. To describe it in 2 adjectives would be "talented" and "wacky".

Old Aug 4th, 1999, 05:55 AM
Kim

Hello Nigel,

I live in the Chicago area so I can't speak as to hotels. In November it will start getting dark at 5:00 p.m. and could be quite cold - but there could also be a warm snap. There are architecture tours in Chicago - Frank Lloyd Wright's studio is in Oak Park. I haven't seen Blue Man Group yet, although I have heard that it is good and would like to go there too. There is a lot of theater in Chicago. Once you get here, pick up a Reader, which will list all of the entertainment options for you - not just theater, but also music and restaurants. An off beat play that has been running for awhile an is popular is "Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind" at the NeoFuturitarium. It's 30 plays in 60 minutes. The audience gets a list of the plays and shouts out the number of the play they want to see next. They are a mixture of funny, sad, thought provoking, and just plain weird - but it's all great fun. The charge to get in (if I remember correctly) is $4 plus the roll of a die - so anywhere from $5 to $10. Also, just around the corner on Clark street is a funky little bar called the Hop Leaf which has one of the best beer selections in Chicago and a great jukebox. Food: are you looking for Chicago style food, the best restaurant... For Chicago food there's pizza, italian beef, and hot dogs (red hots) piled high with pickles, tomato, onion, hot peppers, etc. Bacino's is great pizza, a lot of people like Gino's East or Pizzeria Uno or Due. I don't have a favorite place for hot dogs and my favorite Italian beef is in the suburbs. We like P.S. Bangkok for Thai food. For Italian we like La Dona, which is right next to the Hop Leaf. I'd be happy to give you more info if I can.

Old Aug 4th, 1999, 06:27 AM
kristi

November is a little late to be out on Lake Michigan but you may still find some boats that go out if they are heated. There are a couple of good web sites with Chicago info www.metromix.com and www.chicago.digitalcity.com. You can find information on food, entertainment, boat rides, etc. and I think there is a link to Ticketmaster where you can order theater tickets in advance.

Blue Man Group, which a previous poster recommended, is at the Briar Street Theater. There is a web site at www.blueman.com. I haven't seen it but one of my co-workers has been several times and highly recommends it.

You don't say when exactly you are visiting but be advised that November 25 is a holdiay, Thanksgiving, here in the US and a lot of places are closed. The day after Thanksgiving is the kick off of the Christmas shopping season, so if you are looking for shopping bargains, that is the day to shop.

Chicago has a lot of wonderful restaurants. A trip here wouldn't be complete without trying stuffed/deep dish pizza. Everyone has their favorites, mine are Pizzeria Uno, Edwardo's and Giordano's. Gino's is very popular but you end up waiting a long time when there are so many other great places.

If you have any other questions, feel free to email direct.

Old Aug 4th, 1999, 06:29 AM
marilyn

Nigel, I'm sure you will enjoy Chicago even though the weather may or may not cooperate. No, I don't think there will still be boat trips, though I'm not absolutely positive. The Raphael would be my hotel recommendation, a small hotel near Water Tower Place which might have a discounted rate, I'm not sure. A good web site would be http://www.chicagotribune.com

This is the local newspaper's site and has full info on entertainment, events, restaurants, etc.

Old Aug 5th, 1999, 10:12 AM
TroyMan

For a great price on a great hotel do what I did. Go to Priceline.com and indicate Chicago, pick the downtown zone, indicate that you want only 4 star or above and put your price in. I got the Westin River North for only $98. a night. This is a very high class hotel (bathrobes and the works). You simply can't beat Priceline because you can name your price and all they can do is say yes or no. Go for it.

Old Aug 7th, 1999, 12:34 PM
raeona

Priceline sounds like a good starting place. If it doesn't work for you, here's another A-OK on the Best Western Inn of Chicago. Rooms are smallish, but it's quite pleasant and fits the pocketbook. Don't forget the Second City comedy revue -- from whence sprang so much of America's top comic talent. It will be dark not quite as early as it probably is in the UK. If your visit does run through our Thanksgiving holiday, either manage to get yourself invited to someone's home -- (sorry, I'm too far away or would offer!) -- for a turkey feast with all the trimmings, or plan on a fairly pricey restaurant meal. The day after thanksgiving, there usually is a lighting ceremony, turning on the thousands of little lights strung thru the trees on Michigan Ave. This has become a bigger deal every year, but it turns the boulevard into a fairyland. Your wildlife interest might lead you to the Lincoln Park Zoo, one of the best in the country and one of the last free zoos -- if you luck into a pleasant, mild day, take advantage of it and head for the zoo. Enjoy your visit!

Old Aug 7th, 1999, 12:36 PM
raeona

Ooops, I forgot. In addition to the "architecture" boat tours, which I think someone mentioned, but I'm sure don't run that late in the year, the Archicenter hosts walking tours of notable downtown architecture sites.

Old Sep 14th, 1999, 06:25 AM
MJ Eraci

Nigel,

The climate could be pretty cold so bring some warm clothes. I live here so I am not sure about hotels but I stayed at the Westin on Michigan Avenue for a wedding and it was great. Our rate was about $120 a nite. There are tons of great places to eat and go out. The local free paper is the Reader and I think the website is www.chireader.com or pick one up when you get to town. There are many plays etc which will be listed. I just saw B.S. which is an improv performance which makes fun of E.R. Only $12 and pretty funny. It is at the Ivanhoe on Wellington/Clark St.
Some areas or neighborhoods you may want to visit, Lincoln Park, Wrigleyville (home of the Cubs) Public transportation is pretty easy (the EL).
Enjoy your trip.

Old Sep 14th, 1999, 07:40 PM
anna

There's a Christmas parade downtown sometime in November before Thanksgiving but I don't remember when. The lights are usually strung by the second weekend in November. I don't advise shopping downtown on the day after Thanksgiving. WAY too crowded for my tastes.

Old Sep 16th, 1999, 08:37 PM
Sally

If you want to stay in a fun, unique, and new hotel with a GREAT location, try the House of Blues Hotel. I got a great special rate by calling the hotel directly. Check out the web site at hob.com