Search

hawaii itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2016, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hawaii itinerary

we are travelling from florida so it is a long way to make many different trips to hawaii . Last summer we went to oahu and maui in 12 days.

I know it will be a bit rushed but wondering if its too much to fly to kauii - stay for 5 nights, then fly to hilo , stay in volcano area for two nights, drive to kona and stay 4 nights then fly back from kona.

We also were thinking of doing kauii this trip and the big island on another trip.

thank you
Old Jun 5th, 2016, 09:13 AM

Well with about 20 trips from Boston under our belt - yes it is a long commute. We have done whirlwind trips staying on various sides of the island. We have done luxury resort destination trips, where the tariff makes you want to just hunker down. One year I wanted to try 4S on Maui and husband wanted to try GW so we stayed five nights there, went to Hana for 3 nights and returned to 4S which was the hands down winner. I've also hunkered down in a plantation house for two week in Hanalei and our upcoming trip we are hunkered down for 14 sleeps in Kohola Coast.

Yes it will be a whirlwind. But why not get a taste of both islands, so long as you are looking for that type of journey. Understand the first night is bascally getting to your lodging and crashing shortly thereafter. I search high and low to get the shortest commute and the earliest arrival. I find my lodgings (now always private rentals) and figure what I want to see in each area. This helps me decide how to schedule inter island flights. I either enjoy the island I'm on and move late afternoon, or take the earliest flight to jumpstart my next destination.

Volcano Village has some great rentals. I like staying there to enjoy early mornings at the park and late evenings to see the glow after the daytrippers have gone.(the gates are open 24/7 unless the Senate screws up) That leaves you the mid day hours to explore Puna or Hilo area, whichever calls you. BTW Pele is acting up so lava could be flowing - or not. I have started to search for a VV rental for a night to double book in case the lava is making a show.

Also when scheduling interisland flights, I have found people very insistent with flying in to one side and out the other. Well we haven't done that for our three visits to the BI. Our first trip we stayed 4 nights in Hawi and 4 nights in VV. We flew in and out of Kona because we had a late flight out so after checking out of VV we had a whole day to return the northern route, explore some and have a sunset dinner at 4S before heading to the airport.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old Jun 5th, 2016, 09:14 AM

11 nights, that's works. Stay 5 nights in Princeville Kauai, 2 at a BB near Hilo, then 4 nights at a 4 to 5 resort near Waikoloa

Places to stay- Good budget
St Regis
Mauna Kea

Lo Budget
Private Rental N Shore Condo
Hapuna Price

* no recs for Hilo, as I never stay there
Old Jun 5th, 2016, 09:26 AM

One thing to consider on your dates is I think that Hilo still goes by the old blue walls and close up much of everything on Sundays. It may have changed but could be important in your timing.
Old Jun 5th, 2016, 11:29 AM

My one trip to Big Island we spent 5 nights and it was not nearly enough, it was very rushed. We stayed in Kona (I would pick Kohaa instead, better beaches and usually no vog) and visited VNP for a day, took boat trip to Kealakekua Bay, Place of Refuge and black sand beach and drove around. We got to see but not really experience a fair amount but only scratched the surface.
I would stick to one island plus you often get better rates on condo and car rental if booking for a week or more.
When is your trip?
Old Jun 5th, 2016, 12:45 PM

We go to Kauai every year. I wouldn't recommend Princeville unless you are going for golf. The hotels in Princeville are on cliffs, so no easy access to the beach. If you want to be right on the beach, I'd recommend the Poipu area. It is also much closer to the airport than Princeville. You will want to drive to the north shore one day, no matter where you stay.
Old Jun 16th, 2016, 04:58 PM

These are the least convenient of the islands to pair for a trip as flights between the two stop at either Maui or Oahu.

I agree with Kathie about staying in Princeville. We have been visiting family on Kauai for 10 years and find we like the Poipu area best.
Old Jul 10th, 2016, 06:20 PM

princeville is very different than Poipu but that being said I like both but prefer Poipu and we have been to Kauai at least 12 times. Our next trip will include 4 days in Princeville and 7 days in Poipu. I presume you are gong in the summer or fall. Winter on Northshore isn't as nice as the water is quite violent compared to southshore and Poipu area. Hanalei beach (northshore) is a a very fun place in the summer and early fall but not winter. Enjoy your trip