COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Hawaii in Sept/Oct

Old May 25th, 1999, 08:01 AM
Barbara

Hawaii in Sept/Oct

Will be celebrating our 25th next year and are planning a two week trip to the islands. Comments and suggestions would be appreciated, expecially regarding the weather. Thanks in advance.

Old May 26th, 1999, 04:59 AM
sam

Hi Barbara, My wife an I just spent 10 days on Kauai. We went through a Travel agent and got a package deal that included Air, Rental Car (a convertible) and a beach front condo at the Kaha Lani on the east side of the island. The weather was mid 60's to mid 70's and wonderful. According to the locals it is the same in Sept. (We're considering a 2nd trip.) We found out that you can book inter-island day trips on our last day but It was our 1st trip and we had a full agenda on Kauai as it was.. There is a web site www.kauai101.com that gives a lot of suggestions as to things to do.
good luck and enjoy your time..
Sam Houston

Old Jun 3rd, 1999, 03:37 PM
Ruth Hatfield

Barbara: Sept/Oct is one of the hottest times of the year in Hawaii. We were on Maui late Sept/early Oct about four years ago, and there were no trades that trip, didn't even feel like Hawaii, and we baked. Would be interested in other people's experiences that time of year. I've been in Feb, May and July; they were all great! Of course, you can get odd weather at any time, but now I am leary of traveling there at that time of year.

Old Jun 3rd, 1999, 03:42 PM
Jon

The hottest months in Hawaii are June-July-August. It rains a little in the winter. So your plan to go in September or October would be a wonderful time.
There is not enough to do on Kauai for two weeks (at least not if you are like me and my wife and like to see or do something different each day and eat at a different wonderful restaurant each evening). So I'd suggest that you spend most or all of your trip on Maui. The Kaanapali (West)side of Maui is the prettiest and has the most activities, so stay at the Hyatt or Sheraton on Kaanapali Beach.

LOTS more info about Maui restaurants, hotels, activities, sights, etc, at this web site:
http://www.mauihawaii.org
(note it ends in org, not com)
Jon

Old Jun 3rd, 1999, 04:25 PM
Ruth

With all due respect to Jon, the "Fodor's 98" guide to Hawaii lists in their "Climate in Hawai'i" section that the hottest months in Hawaii are August & September with an average high of 88 degrees, with July & October coming in second at 87 degrees. Lisa Legarde's "Frommer's Maui" (copyright 1996) states in the "When to Go" section that September & October are the hottest months of the year on Maui.

Before my 1995 October trip to Maui, when it was around 90 degrees in Lahaina and Wailea, with no tradewinds, it never occurred to me that "Fall" in Hawaii could be that hot. Now if you don't mind really hot weather, then you have no problem. I think the lack of tradewinds may have been just a freak thing, and it would have been much more pleasant, I'm sure, had they been blowing. Actually, I would never turn down a trip to Hawaii but I might choose the cooler parts of the islands if I went in the fall.

Old Jun 3rd, 1999, 04:25 PM
Ruth

With all due respect to Jon, the "Fodor's 98" guide to Hawaii lists in their "Climate in Hawai'i" section that the hottest months in Hawaii are August & September with an average high of 88 degrees, with July & October coming in second at 87 degrees. Lisa Legarde's "Frommer's Maui" (copyright 1996) states in the "When to Go" section that September & October are the hottest months of the year on Maui.

Before my 1995 October trip to Maui, when it was around 90 degrees in Lahaina and Wailea, with no tradewinds, it never occurred to me that "Fall" in Hawaii could be that hot. Now if you don't mind really hot weather, then you have no problem. I think the lack of tradewinds may have been just a freak thing, and it would have been much more pleasant, I'm sure, had they been blowing. Actually, I would never turn down a trip to Hawaii but I might choose the cooler parts of the islands if I went in the fall.

Old Jun 3rd, 1999, 04:27 PM
Ruth

Before my 1995 October trip to Maui, when it was around 90 degrees in Lahaina and Wailea, with no tradewinds, it never occurred to me that "Fall" in Hawaii could be that hot. Now if you don't mind really hot weather, then you have no problem. I think the lack of tradewinds may have been just a freak thing, and it would have been much more pleasant, I'm sure, had they been blowing. Actually, I would never turn down a trip to Hawaii but I might choose the cooler parts of the islands if I went in the fall. Whenever you go, Barbara, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. Best of luck!