Reload this Page >

Hawaii in Feb - first timer, need help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 09:12 AM
Jesse

I've never been to Hawaii and am thinking of using my FF miles to fly there - perhaps February. I'm going with my wife, and have only just started doing research. We're looking for a romantic get-away, but also a somewhat active one, as we're not the type to lie around on the beach. We'll probably go for about a week. Any basic advice? Which island, which "side" of the island, any suggestions on where to stay, is 1 week enough, etc. I'd be grateful for any answers, and advice...

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 09:19 AM
Tom

1 week can be enough, depending on your travel schedule and how many islands you're going to.
I would say a minimum of 7 days in Hawaii though (unless you live on the West Coast cities that fly there directly).
Also, which island(s) do you have in mind?
Whatever the case, I envy you your first trip. Be a little more specific about what you want, where you want to go, things you like to do. But you have to see Pearl Harbor. Even if you hate history, it's a stunning place. After that, options are wide open.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 09:36 AM
dave

Try Maui for a blend of activity with a relaxed atmosphere. In February there will be many humpback whales in the area. Lots of activities both around the beach and non-beach. Oahu would be o.k. for its shows and nightlife, but you have to deal with the city scene which is hardly relaxing at times. So much depends on your own personal interest, its hard to recommend specifics, but those of us stuck on the mainland will be jealous no matter what island you choose. With only 7 nights, I highly recommend choosing just one. You won't run out of things to do.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 09:47 AM
Leslie

Jesse - yes, a week is fine. The minimum I would say, to make the airfare or consumption of significant FF miles worth your while. You can find romantic and beautiful on any of these so you could consider what sights and other issues appeal. I can't post too much text, so will break this into several.

In one week's time, I'd recommend one island, two maximum. Here are some things to consider from among the 4 principal islands. See what items appeal to you:

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 09:48 AM
Leslie

Oahu - Waikiki is much like Miami Beach, quite congested and citylike. Would possibly disappoint as it is very developed. On the other hand, the north shore has lots of beautiful areas (but dangerous surf in winter) plus the Polynesian Cultural Center which is a wonderful place for an all day visit and the rest of the island has much to offer to get away from Waikiki and Honolulu. Also, if your FF miles only get you as far as Honolulu, then you'll incur inter-island airfare to get to any others. Can go horseback riding on the beach at the Turtle Bay Hilton (not a fancy resort but great location). Waimea Bay and Waimea Falls Park are at north shore. Beautiful beaches at Lanakai and Kailua. Snorkeling in Hanamuu Bay. Hiking to Diamond Head crater.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 09:49 AM
Leslie

Kauai - very green and the most consistently "Hawaiian" feeling island, my favorite. But, again, in winter gets lot of rain. There is great hiking, river kayaking, The Wailua River, Fern Grotto, Waimea Canyon are great. The Na Pali Coast is beautiful seen by boat or helicopter. I would recommend you stay in the Poipu Beach area at that time of year, rather than north shore, but do go to visit north shore.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 09:50 AM
Leslie

Maui – has an inactive volcano crater which is fascinating, especially at sunrise. Also, bicycling rides one-way down hill are offered, with transport back up to your car. Half day snorkeling trips to Molokini aboard a catamaran make for an easy, safe and fun snorkeling experience. The drive to Hana and the Seven Sacred Pools is gorgeous with many waterfalls enroute. But both the volcano trip and the Hana trip can make for long tiring days. If you don’t want to bother with these, then I hardly feel Maui is worth visiting. Recommendation: Stay in the Kapalua, Napili or Kanapaali areas. Many resorts on the Wailea Coast but I find this area too arid and less picturesque. Great snorkeling at Napili Bay. Whale watching expeditions out of Lahaina Harbor in winter.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 09:51 AM
Leslie

Hawaii – The Big Island - has the only active volcano. Hawaii Volcanoes National Park is a must see here, so if you really want to see lava flow, this island would be a must see. Recommend staying somewhere on the Kohala Coast and flying into Kona. Skip Hilo. There is also great snorkeling, hiking and horseback riding plus archeological sites.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 10:39 AM
julie

One week is great, two is better! For one week, do only one island. I'd recommend either Kauai or the Big Island. Both have lots of activities (hiking, snorkeling on both, on the big island there is the volcano and the observatory as well to name just a few activities). I've been to Kauai in January twice and never experienced significant rain. We stayed on the south shore, in Poipu. We're going again in February 2003.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 11:17 AM
Kristi

I am going to Kauai in February. There are so many nice house to rent starting at 900.00 and up for the week and going up, up, up. I think they are a great deal. Just do a search and you'll get lots of sites. The hard thing is making up your mind. We better not wait too long or the one we like will not be available.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 11:19 AM
helen

We live on Oahu and still enjoy it after all of these years. It is the most crowded of all of the islands but also has some of the most memorable places. Waikiki is one of the best beaches in the world - there is not a beach on any other islands to compare. An added bonus is the ambience added by Diamond Head in the background. Pearl Harbor is a sobering reminder of the sacrifices made for freedom. The Polynesian Cultural Center makes a worthwhile contribution to your appreciation of Hawaiian and Polynesian culture.

The Big Island has tremendous resorts on the Kona side and the Volcanoes National Park on the Hilo side. Waipio Valley is a nice side trip. Stay on the Kona side and drive around to Hilo. Whales are in Hawaiian waters during February and you can see them from all islands but Maui offers the best close-ups. Haleakala is a must-see on that island.

Kauai is the least developed and great for just lying on the beach. Unless you want to hike the mountains and valleys of Kauai an active vacationer will run out of things to do on Kauai.

In February the only place to stay is on the leeward side of each island. That is where most hotels and resorts are clustered anyway. In fact leeward is generally better throughout the year. The only exception would be Princeville, which is spectacular, during the summer months.