best island for vacation with adult children

Old Nov 26th, 2017, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best island for vacation with adult children

Doing some preliminary exploration of the idea of renting a house in Hawaii this summer for our extended family to share. We've never been (planned vacation ten years ago got disrupted by broken foot). at the time I was focused on Kauai. Some of our family would be coming from New Mexico and some from Philadelphia. I would want to find something away from large cities (not Honolulu for example), that would be close to a beach, but with other adventures, activities as well. The other issue though is ease of flying in - it looks like Honolulu is the cheapest airfares, but maybe not the kind of getaway I was hoping for. your suggestions re which island, and which part of the island you would recommend for such a family vacation would be most appreciated. Thanks
Old Nov 27th, 2017, 01:17 AM

You can get what you are looking for on any of the islands. There is only one large city in Hawaii (Honolulu), so it isn't hard to avoid that. But Oahu has areas away from Honolulu (the North shore for example) that offer what you want. All of the islands offer adventure-type activities.

Spend some time with a good guidebook (or several) to get a sense of which island appeals to you most.
Old Nov 27th, 2017, 12:11 PM

Agreeing with Kathie above, you can find what you described on any of the islands (including Oahu but outside Honolulu/Waikiki).
Old Nov 27th, 2017, 03:04 PM

Summer on Kauai's north shore is gorgeous. I'd book a home in/near Hanalei, or if you don't mind being a bit more remote, Haena. Second choice would be the south Kohala coast on the Big Island, the least developed of the main islands, and where you'll find the best snorkeling in the State. Plus an active volcano.
Old Nov 30th, 2017, 09:34 AM

Your choice of location will depend on what type of vacation you are looking for. If this is your only / first trip to Hawaii - or will be for a long time - Oahu is almost a "must do". To visit Pearl Harbor, Honolulu, Waikiki, the North Shore, Dole Plantation, Polynesian Cultural Center, luau...plus so much more.

Be forewarned: Honolulu is a large, busy modern city. You can walk into the front door of a swanky chain store you'd find on Rodeo Drive...and out to the beach. It's cool and fun, but for us the novelty wears off fast. Everything(for the most part) is expensive in Hawaii. In Honolulu tourist areas, some things even more so.

If you are looking for a much more relaxed, mostly resort and beach vacation with a little sightseeing...Maui or Kauai.

If you are looking for a lot of adventuring, don't mind driving or even staying in two separate locations, the Big Island. Plus, if you want to see an active volcano...this is the only place to do it. Big island has some nice beaches (not as many as Maui or Oahu) and a hugely diverse climate and topography. It's our favorite and where we have a condo. I have cousins in Honolulu who wouldn't move to Kona if you paid them (it would pay them...it's so expensive on Oahu!) because they love the city life.

So, like with everywhere, it's about what you want...give us some more ideas of what you are looking for in the perfect Hawaiian vacation!?
Old Nov 30th, 2017, 12:03 PM

Only you can choose the island. The "Dummies" series has a quick read on Hawaii.

Kauai's most gorgeous north is lovely in summer, but there's not a lot to do other than just enjoy the ocean and the beauty. (Least good snorkeling off Kauai).

Turtle Bay on Oahu's north shore might suit. You could go into Honolulu now and then. There are condos at Ko Olina on the eastern shore.

Maui is developed, but less so than Oahu. Road to Hana is a taste of Kauai. Haleakala is a taste of Big Island's volcanoes. Stay South Maui or West Maui.

We have sometimes 'floated through' HNL, flying on to another island after two hours within TSA security. Same on return.
Old Nov 30th, 2017, 12:23 PM

I'd stay on the North Shore of Kauai in summer, maybe a couple of condos in Princeville or a house in Hanalei. The water will be very calm there that time of year. Plenty of stuff to do like take a boat tour of the Na Pali coast, visit Waimea Canyon and Koke'e State park with plenty of hiking, mini golf in Kapa'a and also a bike path to ride rental bikes, etc. Also with the exception of the Marriott in Lihue, no high rise buildings.
Old Nov 30th, 2017, 01:32 PM

Maui near Lahaina is my recommendation. .. shops and restaurants as well as water sports, great resorts, vrbo, and natural beauty...
Old Dec 4th, 2017, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

thanks so much all - good food for thought
Old Dec 4th, 2017, 07:34 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
DW and I are going to Maui in May. Our DD and SIL are going to be there at the same time but we are staying in separate lodging in Kihei. Hawaii will be my 50th state to visit.
In several years we may fly to Honolulu to see Pearl Harbor etc. I am looking forward to finding a few geocaches in Hawaii. I have found caches in the 49 other states and DC in the past 12 years.
Old Dec 5th, 2017, 09:59 AM

In my humble opinion its Oahu all the way. So much to do and see there, been to the other Islands and was bored silly, always go back to Oahu now and stay in Waikiki. I dont see how you could go wrong given your needs. There are a half dozen EMPTY beautiful beaches within 30 minutes of amazing driving from Waikiki and you come home afterwards to good restaurants, amazing shopping and markets.

Where to go in Hawaii is a very personal thing, but I've found if you like a little city action, Oahu will fit your need every time.

And, you can always take a cheap flight to one of the other Islands just for the day and return late at night so you can experience it.
Old Dec 5th, 2017, 07:44 PM

PS - if you do end up in Oahu, make sure you check out Hanauma Bay, one of the most beautiful snorkeling areas I've ever been to and perfect for the kids. They rent all the equipment right there and there is a mandatory video you must attend to gain access to the beach which illustrates all the creatures in the waters and the do's and dont's while swimming the reef.
Old Dec 6th, 2017, 04:41 AM

As you can see, there is no wrong answer on where to go in Hawaii - but the RIGHT answer for you is based on YOU.

We've snorkeled at Hanauma Bay and prefer a couple other locations over this. Mostly due to the insane crowds on Oahu.

What is better to me? Molokini Crater off Maui - undescribable - Kealakekua Bay o Big Island...but these are my preferences.

Do your homework. As I mentioned earlier in the thread - if this is a once only trip to Hawaii, Oahu has to be in the mix. It's an important and fun place. But, if you can't take a large modern, crowded city, a few days there (carefully planned) might be enough. If you can't stand "doing nothing" many parts of the neighbor islands could bore you.
Old Dec 6th, 2017, 04:23 PM

Hello Laurasmgarden, agree with some recommendation here that you should read a little about different islands of Hawaii & see which one you are most excited.

Also agree that Oahu should be part of the trip since there are lots of major sights that TJM had mentioned..

Did you consider flying into Oahu & stay there part of the trip & going to another island for the second half of the trip?

We visited Oahu 25 years ago the 1st time we visited Hawaii. Yes, when you first got there, my first impression is another American city. But it grows on me as I got to explore around Oahu. Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head, Beach on the North side...

7 years ago, we visited Maui with our 3 children & we had a great time! We stayed at a Marriot time share condo at Kaanapali Beach - near Lahaina (as previously recommended). Lots of activities to do in Maui & beautiful beaches! We also did a Triology sail tour to watch the dolphin & visit Lanai island. Paia is also a must- cute little artsy town, very picturesque.

Enjoy planning!