Hawaii Honeymoon Help!

Old Jul 14th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hawaii Honeymoon Help!

Okay, I know nothing about Hawaii, so I'm counting on you guys!

We're getting married in a year, and were considering a honeymoon in Hawaii!

We'll be mid 20's, laid back, just like to hang out, have a beach, some nice views, and decent food. We don't need luxury as we're trying to keep it affordable.
We're not positive of a budget, but let's say it's about $2,500 for week without the flight.

Could anyone help with which island we may prefer??
Possible places to stay?
Is it better to try to find a villa/home or just go through a hotel/resort?

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 12:01 PM

laid back - north shore kauai. either a condo in Princeville or a beachhouse in Hanalei.

try
vrbo.com
napaliprop.com
kauaivacationrentals.com
cyberrentals.com
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 12:06 PM

What time of year?
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 12:08 PM

good question, I assumed that 'getting married in a year" meant say in the next 10-14 months, but winter weather and surf conditions should always be considered.
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 12:40 PM

we did Kauai for 2 at the 5* Grand Hyatt Resort oceanfront suite for a week with car and flight from San Diego for less than $1200 per person.
This was an incredible resort and the island is stunning.
Found it on expedia.com on a package deal.
We just bought tickets on Hawaiian Air for $330 rt from SD/HNL so we are hanging there this Sept.
Alaska Air is flying to Hawaii in October so flights and package deals will open up and be cheaper for us who love the islands.
aloha
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 12:44 PM

Fro, I assume that, too, but just in case, because you were recommending Kauai north, I thought the poster ought to know about the differences in weather conditions etc. between north and south at different times of year.
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 05:13 PM

Is the 2500.00 for the week you budget just for the room?

We would need to know your room budget to really recommend places.
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Yes, sorry! It will be the end of June, beginning of July of 2011!!

Thank you so much!!!
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

And yes, the 2500 for the week is just the room/hotel/condo/etc.!
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 05:49 AM

So many deals to Hawaii and if I could get $2500 for 2 of us with luxurious accomadations, flight and car it seems that $2,500.00 is way generous for just a week in Kauai.
We were upgraded to first class too!
North shore has way more rain but very lush and gorgeous vs. Poipu area is nice and sunny.

We renewed our vows in Kauai and it was stunning ceremony and all the friends/locals came out and we had a plumeria rain of petals.

Where are you flying out of?
Have you plugged in your dates on a package deal on expedia to get an idea how much, since $2500 you can pay for 2 of you with everything.
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

I haven't done a package thing yet, I just kind of figured it's too far away to get a good glimpse of what would be available.
We're flying out of Boston!

We'd like a place near the beach or on the beach!

I guess I just have no idea which island to even look into?!
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 07:25 AM

I just plugged in on expedia.com the flight/car/hotel for June 2011 for a week in HNL/Waikiki for a week from BOS to HNL.

Royal Hawaiian resort 5* is $2300 pp
Moana Surfrider 4* resort $1900 pp
Hilton Hawaiian Village 4* $1650 pp

This is all with round trip air, car rental for the week and room.
All of these gorgeous hotels are oceanfront.
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Wow! Thank you!!!!!

If we like to explore (off the resort), and walk around, shop, eat outside places, which island is best for us?
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 09:09 AM

Each island has its own vibe and since you have never been to Hawaii, I would suggest O'ahu.

Great for 20's somethings with the nightlife, beaches, food, resorts and shopping.

Hilton Hawaiian Village has been renovated and rooms are $159 a night.great resort and oceanfront on Waikiki.
This is a great resort and solid 4*.

I like Maui but that could be for your second anniversary!
Kauai is lovely too but being your in your 20's, its just too dead at night.

You can order a free Hawaii guidebook..google it.
might be gohawaii.com
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 09:12 AM

http://gohawaii.com/visitor-guide
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much KSUCAT...you've been so helpful, I really appreciate it!
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 11:45 AM

My husband & I went to Kauai May 5-12, 2007. We stayed 4 nights in Princeville, which is the North Shore, at the Sealodge Condos. We stayed in the D7 unit. The Sealodge is situated on a bluff so you are looking out at the ocean. It was absolutely beautiful and we loved the North Shore! We felt "secluded" on the North Shore, in a good way, as opposed to the "busier" South Shore.

Here are a few websites for the Sealodge:
http://www.hestara.com/index.html
http://www.summitpacificinc.com/sealodge.html
http://www.kauai-vacations-ahh.com/k...odge-kauai.htm

After staying on the North Shore, we then moved to the South Shore for 3 nights. We stayed in Poipu at the Kuhio Shores in unit 213. Not ON the beach but right on the ocean!
Here is the website: http://www.kuhio-shores.com/
http://www.kuhio-shores.com/KS213.html

Also here is a link to a map of Kauai so you can get an idea of the North/South Shore and other areas of interest.
http://www.summitpacificinc.com/kauai_map.html

Another tip: I recommend buying this book: http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Kauai...d_bxgy_b_img_b
The Ultimate Kauai book is an absolute must! It has everything you could possibly want to know about the island. One of my favorite insider information in the book was the directions on how to get to Secret Beach. This beach is unbelievably beautiful and can be seen from the Kilauea Lighthouse. It is a 15 minute hike to get to the beach and my husband & I wouldn't have known about if it weren't for this book! That is just one tip and there is so much information in these books! This book is also available for the other Hawaiian islands as well if you choose another island.

I absolutely love Kauai and my husband & I are going back this September! We are already counting the days! Check out this condo: http://www.hestara.com/c8.htm This is where we are staying this September. This Sealodge condo is very popular and books up really quickly! We are staying in this condo in September. I really like Hestara...all that is required is $250 to reserve and the remainder of the balance is due 30 days before your trip.

As for your flight...I personally love the flight that is offered by US Airways. My husband & I fly from Austin, TX so the US Airways flight goes from Austin to Phoenix then Phoenix to Lihue(Kauai). I checked the US Airways website and put in a flight from Boston going to Kauai and it takes the same route: Boston to Phoenix then Phoenix to Lihue(Kauai).

As for opinions about the other Hawaiian islands...well my husband & I have been to Oahu(2005) and Kauai(2007). We went to Oahu for our honeymoon and the island was beautiful (of course it was!) & we did the typical things such as laying on the beach, snorkeling, parasailing, hiked to the top of Diamond Head, Pearl Harbor and a luau at the Polynesian Culture Center. Although we had a great honeymoon, for us, overall Oahu is too congested/commercialized especially (as one would expect) around the Waikiki area. For us, after seeing Kauai, nothing could compare to it. Kauai is almost, for me, indescribable. It is a mystical island...the lushness,
the beauty, it's just too good to be true! I have read so many posts & replies on this board and a lot of people are a fan of Oahu but I'm missing what they are seeing. This is just my opinion. I only wish I had "known" about Kauai when it was my honeymoon.

I check this board very frequently so if you have any other questions just reply back on this post and I will get back to you. I love helping people with information about Kauai!
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 09:21 PM

Lots of info:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...trip-to-hi.cfm

For a free Hawaii brochure & one for each of the islands:

1-800-GOHAWAII