Search

hawaii honeymoon

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 1998, 12:03 PM
Rajeev Tadas

hawaii honeymoon

my fiancee and i are planning our honeymoon in the islands in october 98 neither of us have ever been there, so we are planning to go for two weeks. at this point we are planning to go to the big island, oahu, and kanai. does anyone have any suggests on places to stay? since we are not "touristy" people, we would like to stay at a b&b or a plantation. also, what about the helicoptor tours. i've heard from friends that some are bad deal and a real risks.

Old Feb 18th, 1998, 10:12 AM
Melissa

Good choice! Hawaii is fabulous! If you are not "touristy" - stay away from Oahu. Too many tourists, too expensive, and Waikiki is like New York City on the beach. I absolutely LOVED Kauai. Kauai has a wide range of accommodations - and quite a few B&B's and plantation-style cottages. If you go to Kauai - a helicopter ride is a must. That's the only way to see the beautiful canyons and the Napali Coast. And don't settle for the 50-60 minute ride - that's just a tease. You'll want to take the 90 minute ride. I guess there are some "questionable" outfits, but do a little research and go with one of the better companies. A couple of good books on Kauai are: my first recommendation is "The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook" and my second is "Kauai Underground". I went with "Jack Harter Helicopters" - excellent safety record, great pilots, two-way radios, and you can open the windows for picture taking. Hope you have a great honeymoon!

Old Feb 19th, 1998, 12:11 PM
Mike

I can't help you with accomodations since my wife and I stayed at the big resorts on Kauai, Maui, and the Big Island. But, I went on the helicopter trips on both Kauai and the Big Island. The were two of the highlights of the visits to those islands. I went with Jack Harter on the Big Island and Blue Hawaiian on the Big Island. On the Big island go on the "Big Island Spectacular". It's a little expensive, but worth every cent. They give you a video of your flight complete with narration by the pilot and music. They did an excellent job. Another recommendation would be to take a cruise along the Na Pali coast. You'll see scenery you will never forget. Awesome.

Old Feb 19th, 1998, 12:16 PM
Mike

Sorry about my mistake in the last message. I took Jack Harter on Kauai. Also, we bought a book about the Big Island before we went called "Hawaii: The Big Island Revealed, The Ultimate Guidebook" by Andrew Doughty & Harriett Friedman. It is published by Wizard Publications, 1997. This book was worth it's price in gold. No exaggerations either. It is by far the best guidebook on any travel destination I have come across. You'll enhance your stay on the Big Island tremendously if you buy and read the book.

Old Feb 22nd, 1998, 05:24 AM
Tia

I live on the Oahu which is the busiest of all islands. If you don't want the "touristy" areas such as Waikiki, you can still find relaxation on Oahu if you head for the North Shore. Waikiki is on the southeast shore, lots of hotels and tourist, but the North Shore is more serene. The Turtle Bay Hilton is on the north shore; very nice hotel right on the beach with a relaxing and fun atmosphere (golf course, water activities, etc.). There are both hotel style rooms and cabanas at the Turtle Bay Hilton hotel. Also on the North shore is the Polynesian Cultural Center (a must to visit!). It would also be enjoyable for you to plan a dinner at a luau, such as Germaine's Luau. A lot of this info can be found at your hotel travel desk in the lobby. Any more questions about Oahu, feel free to email me. Enjoy your stay!