Hawaii For Honeymoon Questions

Old Aug 9th, 2004, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hawaii For Honeymoon Questions

Hi. We are going to Hawaii for 12 days for our honeymoon in late October. I have lurked here for a while garnering information. Everybody seems so nice.

We have booked a flight to Honolulu redeeming my fiance's FF miles. The flight is scheduled to arrive at 9PM and I have booked a flight from Honolulu to Kahului at 9:45PM. Is this cutting it too close? I asked the CSR when I booked and she didn't think so. She said we would be arriving at the same terminal we would be departing from and Northwest would transfer our luggage to Aloha Airlines.

I booked the House of Fountains B&B on Maui for 5 days, the Island Home B&B on Kauai for 4 days, and a hotel on Waikiki beach for 2 days. Has anybody stayed at either of the B&Bs? Maybe it's just us but we do not understand the propensity to stay at a resort for $400 when most B&Bs are around $100. I can't see us using the amenities (pool, spa) when there is a beautiful island to explore.

I want to snorkel on a good number of days. Is the weather in Hawaii during the fall/winter worse than the spring/summer? Will the water be rougher on the beaches or for boat tours?

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 09:33 AM

Unless it has changed, flights from the mainland arrive at a different terminal than the interisland flights. At least we have always switched terminals everytime we landed in Honolulu. There is a shuttle available but I think you are cutting it too close. You will have to go thru security at the interisland terminal too. I would look into catching a later flight.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 10:20 AM

You might want to check, but I am told Aloha Airlines flies into the smaller interisland terminal.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 10:24 AM

The Hawaiian winter starts around November. You may see sizeable [read: avoid contact at all costs] waves on the windward sides of the islands, north and west. The southern sides should be plenty calm for swimming and snorkeling.
If you have no interest in resort amenities you are smart not to pay for them. Hawaii has indescribable natural beauty. I wish the same for your honeymoon and marriage. Or, at least adventure.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 10:35 AM

mich_traveler - what airline are you scheduled to fly to Maui on? I just looked in Sabre for flights from Honolulu to Kahului every day from October 22nd to 31st, and the last flights of the day on Hawaiian are at 7:10pm, and Aloha (with code share on United) is at 7:15pm.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 10:36 AM

Aloha Airlines does fly into the interisland terminal, which is different from the terminal you will be arriving in.

While they are right next to each other, you do have to go through security again, and 45 minutes may not be enough time. I have had to stand in line to go through security for almost an hour just to make an inter-island flight.

It sounds like you are taking one of the last flights for the day. While the crowds should be less at that time of day, it would be quite an inconvenience if you didn't make your flight.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 10:56 AM

OK, so I re-read your original message, and you're scheduled to fly on Aloha to Kahului. I called Aloha Airlines, and they said the same thing. No flights from HNL to OGG after 7:15 pm, unless for some really unusual reason, they put on a special flight, and she needs to know the date to check on that. Even the morning flights aren't at 9:45am, so I suggest you call the airline yourself and ask about your flight. One more thing, even if there IS a flight at 9:45pm, Aloha says One hour and 15 minutes are needed to make a connection. Sorry.

Aloha Airlines: 800-367-5250
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the information.

kamahinaohoku, I am home now so I can look at the paperwork. We fly into Honolulu at 5:50PM on NWA 97 and I have reserved a flight to Kahului on Aloha Airlines 232 at 7:30PM. I guess we have 1hr. 45 minutes, not 45 minutes. Do you think we are safe if there are no delays? The 7:30 flight is the latest one. Sorry about the confusion.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 07:45 AM

Mich_traveler - considering the time of the day, you shouldn't have any problems with the connection. Phew, you had me worried there for a while. Have a wonderful time.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

kamahina,

That makes me feel better. Sorry about the extra work. I just get a little excited since we have never been to Hawaii beforer.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 01:38 PM

I stayed at the House of Fountains B&B on Maui in Aug of 2001 and thought it was quite nice. Our room was comfortable, breakfast was delicious and the hostess was very kind. It is a short drive to the beach and Lahaina. We spent very little time at the B&B though. There is so much to see on Maui!
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 03:15 PM

okay wait... you're from michigan and you don't want to use the pool?

I hate only using my pool 3 months out of the year here in michigan..

I am going to hawaii (I think) and the pool with swim up bar is the most important thing!
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 05:07 PM
Kal

I bought my wife an Olympic-sized swimming pool...she only swims in it once every four years.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 05:14 PM

You do not have to go through security again in Honolulu upon arrival unloess you are claiming your bags and then checking in again. If the mainland airline transfers your luggage to your interisland carrier you can just walk over to the terminal; there are no security checkpoints.