Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Hawaii for a 10 year anniversary- which island?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2006, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mother has a 10 yr. anniversary in 2007. I didn't know until recently that she would really like to visit Hawaii. Her husband likes to take 4 day vacations, so I reminded her that (from Houston) it is a long flight so they would both be too rushed and tired going for anything less than one week. I don't know much about Hawaii but my mom and her husband will not be swimming, snorkeling,etc. They would enjoy walks on the beach, possibly local tours, and they both like US history so they would probably enjoy seeing the Pearl Harbor site (USS Arizona?) What islands would best suit a couple with these interests? If anything materializes I know my mom will do in-depth research, just looking for some tentative ideas from posters.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 07:15 AM

Maui during whale season. Great sightseeing. Old Hawaiian history. Beautiful
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 08:17 AM

If your mom & her husband are into history, and since you said that they would like to see Pearl Harbor, then Oahu would be the place. For a week (or less) one island is all they should try to do unless they take a day trip, like to the BI to see the volcano, for example.

Honolulu has so many historic places to see - the Iolani Palace has a daily tour for about $20 a person and it's a great tour. Then there's Queen Emma's Summer Home, Bishop Museum, the Arizona Memorial (and the Mighty Mo). Chinatown is a fun stroll with lots of little shops. The Moana and the Royal Hawaiian hotels have free tours which is a fun way to hear about the early days of Waikiki.

The Bus runs all over the place for a few bucks, a pass can be bought at any ABC store (they're EVERYWHERE!) making it a very efficient and economical way to get around. Car rentals in Honolulu are difficult to deal with for an entire trip due to lack of public parking and steep fees for parking. But rental cars are fun for a day or two to get out and explore the other parts of the island - which should be part of their trip so they get a better feel for Oahu and all that it has to offer.

Also - staying in Honolulu provides the most in the way of easy-to-get-to shopping, dining, etc.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

thanks,bashful. If they definitely decide to go, it is nice to know that they can use public transportation. What area of Honolulu has good moderate accomodations? I just noticed you mentioned the Moana and Royal Hawaiian. Are they pretty expensive?
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 12:45 PM

Lots of Oahu info:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34812564

They are better off renting a car the entire time. By the time they pay for shuttles, cabs, buses & tours they can do on their own, they won't save any $$ by not renting a car. Plus they will have spent hours on or waiting for slow public transportation.

Many of the Waikiki hotels offer 5th night free. So they ought to take advantage of that if they can.

There are many hotels & condos in Waikiki. Some of the condos have free parking.

This is the official Oahu Visitors Bureau site. They will send a free brochure. The brochure & their website have over 400 websites of restaurants, hotels, attractions, etc.

www.visit-oahu.com

Other sites:

www.mauihawaii.org

www.visitmaui.com free brochure

www.bigisland.org free brochure

www.kauaidiscovery.com free brochure

www.kauai-hawaii.com
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 01:58 PM

There are moderate hotels all over Waikiki - most of the "Ohana" hotels (which are owned by the more expensive Outrigger) are moderately priced and decent places to stay. Also try some of the Aqua Resorts. You could check out orbitz.com or the visitor center.com and get an idea of what's out there and for what price.

I would disagree with Dusty, though, about the rental car, but it really is a thing of preference - I've done both and find it just wasn't worth the aggravation (and expense - ALL the hotels charge fees of about $15 PER DAY for parking)of trying to find parking. The Bus is efficient and not costly at all, plus you get to meet locals and that's a great benefit, IMO. Also renting one for a day or two and exploring the island is fun with out having to stress about parking & fees. But if your folks prefer a rental car for their whole trip, go for it.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

I know that my Mom and her husband will definitely want to visit Pearl Harbor site/memorial and also go to a luau sp? If they stay on Waikiki beach would these places be easy to get to by car. Let me just say that neither one of them feels very comfortable driving in unfamiliar places. Also could they see the highlights and not be exhausted if they went for 7 days?
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 01:04 PM

Seven days is about right to tour & see most attractions on Oahu.

The island is small, so staying in Waikiki would be OK to see the island.

Just a note about parking at hotels & condos in Waikiki:

The going rate for hotel parking is about $10-$18 per day depending on the hotel.

But there are several condos that include free parking or parking for as little as $6 a day. I've seen condos for as little as $100 a day including parking.

Some condos do not have parking so be careful when you reserve lodging.

Polynesian Cultural Center on Oahu has the best Polynesian entertainment in all of Hawaii.

As far as driving on the island, in and around Honolulu is like many other big cities during rush hour. Outside of Honolulu it is easy. There are only a few highways that go around or through the island.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 01:07 PM

The luaus will provide transportation--I know that Paradise Cove does, so I assume Germaine's will as well. Otherwise, they can take in the luau at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel, which is not the same but it's convenient!

As for wearing them out....here's a great trip report by kopp, who visited earlier this year with her parents.

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34811047
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 02:03 PM

This definately sounds like an Oahu trip to me.

Have them stay in Waikiki Beach on the main strip. That way they can literally stay in paradise, not hearing any noise but the ocean waves, and walk 100 feet and be within all the range of shopping sightseeing.

The strip is active until after midnight with everyone out walking and socializing.

From there, all the tourist attractions have buses leaving, or you can hop on the bus or a cab to things like Pearl Harbour, Diamond Head park etc.

There is so much to do in super clean and polite Waikiki, that they will have no problems keeping busy or sitting on the beach.

This whole beach area has a boardwalk along the beach and the shopping area which is great for strolls at night.

For a little romance and less hectic hotel setting, I would recommend either the Royal Hawaiin (the pink palace of the pacific) or the Sheraton Moana Surfrider.

Other than those 2 hotels, most of the others in the area are more or less your average bustling hotels that you would find in any city.

Since they love history, you might want to pick up a copy of Mitcheners "Hawaii" as a gift to them before their trip.

It is a great book that weaves history with fictional charaters, and is a great introduction to the islands rich history.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the replies. Everyone has provided really valuable info and I will pass it along to my mom and her husband. It sounds like Waikiki would be a convenient location and close to restaurants as well. I know some people think it is too hectic but for the amount of time they have to be on vacation it is important to be close to the daily conveniences.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 07:06 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
For a nice but not expensive hotel (yes the Royal Hawaiian and Moana ARE expensive!) try... the Hawaiiana Hotel or The Breakers. They are next door to each other on BeachWalk near Fort de Russey park.

There are lots of transportation options, they could do tours that pick them up at their hotel. I have never rented a car in Waikiki/Honolulu and get around just fine.

There is a Waikiki hotel shuttle bus that comes in from the airport for less than $10 pp.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 07:08 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
www.shangrilahawaii.org

is one tour I really enjoyed! it is a private estate out near Diamond Head. you meet at the Honolulu Academy of the Arts (get there by bus or taxi) for an introduction, then are taken by small van out to the property. i believe tickets are $25 and it is popular so reserve ahead.