Search

Oahu Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oahu Itinerary

We have been planning this combined, business, pleasure trip for a year or better! It's coming up in July '05.

Will be arriving from Maui on a Thurs., leaving the following Wed. (9:30PM flight).
Staying at HHV.
DH has meetings on Sun.@3:15-4:30; Mon.@8:00-9-15AM;11:15AM-2:00PM.

Tues., I hope to do the Dim Sum Chinatown tour with PakePorkChop (AM to Noonish, I suppose).

Other things I want to include, if able are:

Polynesian Cultural Center & Luau
Diamond Head Hike
Pearl Harbor
Pali Drive
Punchbowl
International Marketplace
Aloha Swap Meet
Byodo-In-Temple
Iolani Palace
Bishop Museum
Doris Duke's Shangri-la

Hanauma Bay Snorkel
Sharks Cove Snorkel
Ko-Olina Resort
Lanikai
Circle the island (snorkel if able)
Kayak to the sunken island from Kane'ohe Bay

Drive Tantalus & Round Top to Pu'uUalaka'a
St. Wayside Pk.
Kualoa Nursery & Gardens (Mac nut farm)
Catch a couple waves in out-rigger canoe from Wakiki Beach.
Kapena Falls Hike
Manoa Falls Trail

We will have a rental car.

Can anyone with experience help me with planning an itinerary that will optimize the things listed above?

SureRestaurants:
Duke's
Shorebird's
Roy's

I know the Atlantis sub is right there at HHV, but with mixed reviews and so much other I'd like to do, probably will skip it.
Likewise, the Pineapple Plantation, Haiku Stairs.
I really don't think I'm going to have much time to snorkel, which I really want to do. I almost want to skip PH for it, but would feel unpatriotic!

Any help will be appreciated! Belle.
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

I really don't see how we can include the kayak of the sunken island(time wise), but if someone else can see it, please respond! Belle.
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 06:17 PM

Get a good Oahu map so you can plot the things you want to do on the map.

Here is a list of my tips which includes websites to get brochures, maps, etc.

List of things to do on Oahu
These are some hints/suggestions for things to do and see on Oahu.

Arizona Memorial: (free) get there early, preferably by 8am. Opens at 7:30am. If you get there after 10am the lines can get long and you may spend 1-2 hours in line. Battleship USS Missouri and Submarine USS Bowfin are in the same area. These are about $15 each so you can go or skip them. Look for coupons in brochures for two for one. You can take pictures of them from Arizona Visitors Center and the Arizona tour ferry. Go on the lawn behind the Visitor's Center. You can also walk around the Bowfin Memorial area for free without taking the tour. Its worth the time. The Swap Meet is only a couple blocks from here at Aloha Stadium.

Polynesian Cultural Center (PCC): www.polynesia.com General Admission about $40, but I prefer the buffet package ($55) or the luau buffet package ($75). The evening 'Horizon' show is the best Polynesian show in all of Hawaii. It comes with all ticket price options. The higher priced ticket packages get the better seating for 'Horizons'. Also the earlier you get there, the better the seating is for 'Horizons'. The Ali'i Luau Show that is part of the luau package is also a good Polynesian show. IMAX, Canoe Pageant, Samoa and Tonga villages and Canoe ride are the best other attractions (these are included with any type ticket). Plan on this as an all day event. Get there by 1pm (earlier if possible), leave around 9:30pm. When I take visitors, I try to keep on this schedule: IMAX 1:30, Canoe Pageant 2:30, Samoa 3:00, Tonga 4:00, Canoe Ride around 4:30, regular buffet or Ali'i luau buffet 5pm and 'Horizons' at 7:30. The other villages are nice also, but there is not enough time for all of them. You will have time to do some shopping or looking around between the buffet or luau and 'Horizons'. Closed on Sundays. You can go back for free for two days. Check with PCC employees for instructions before leaving the Center if you want the extra days.

Diamond Head Summit: Drive right into the crater and hike to the top. ($5 per carload or $1 each if you walk into the crater). I prefer to drive in. Awesome 360 degree view from the summit. Best time is around 8am or around 4pm. In between it can get hot walking to the top. Takes about 1 - 1 1/2 hours roundtrip.

Punchbowl (National Cemetery of the Pacific): (free) While you are there, drive to the overlook area. Short walk to the summit that overlooks the entire city. If you have time, take the Mt. Tantalus/Round Top drive through a rain forest. Stop at the Puu Ualakaa State Wayside about 2/3 of the way to the top of the mountain. It has an awesome view of the city from Waikiki to Pearl Harbor. Punchbowl is near the bottom of Mt. Tantalus.

Hanauma Bay: Snorkel. Its for any age. You can rent snorkeling equipment there or some places in Waikiki or bring your own. Closed on Tuesdays. Try to get there as early as possible. If you drive, the parking lot gets filled up by 9:00 or 10:00. ($1 for parking, $5 for each person). You can reserve snorkel tours with several companies. They provide equipment, transportation, etc. They seem to have better equipment than the park does. You can also take the city bus. But the first city bus doesn't leave Waikiki until 8:30 am. Website: http://www.co.honolulu.hi.us/parks/f...ay/welcome.htm

Byodo-In-Temple (Valley of the Temples): $2 each. Just past Kaneohe.

Chinaman's Hat: (free) Kualoa Regional Park is just past Byodo-In-Temple. Nice for pictures, picnic, swimming.

Swap Meet: You can buy almost any souvenirs here much cheaper than anywhere else. All items are new. Vendors wrap around the stadium twice. Located at Aloha Stadium near Arizona Memorial. Open Wed, Sat, Sun.

Hilo Hattie's: Nice place to shop. Higher prices than swap meet, but not too much more on many items. Has good selection of clothing, candies and souvenirs. Check brochures for coupons. Can take free Hilo Hattie's shuttle from Waikiki.

Ala Moana Beach Park: (free) Nice beach. Great sunset location in the winter. Walk all the way out to the end of Magic Island. Great view of Waikiki, Diamond Head, Ala Wai Boat Harbor (shown in opening scene of Gilligan's Island).

Hike to Manoa Falls: (Free) You can drive right up to the trailhead and park for free. Or you can pay a few bucks in a nearby lot to have someone "watch" your car. One mile one way. Short hike through a rain forest also bamboo there. Treetops restaurant there (at the previous Paradise Park site) has a good Chinese buffet.

Hike to Makapuu Point Lighthouse: (free) Great view from here. Easy one mile hike. In winter months (mid-November to mid-April) it's great for whale watching.

Other Hiking on Oahu:
http://www.hawaiitrails.org/
http://www.backyardoahu.com/
http://home.hawaii.rr.com/oahuhikingtrails/home.html
http://oahuhiking.com/

North Shore Beaches: Haleiwa, Banzai Pipeline (Ehukai Beach), Waimea Beach, Sunset Beach, Shark's Cove & Chun's Reef. Chun's Reef has sea turtles. Other nice stops for pictures in the area. Can be huge waves in winter. Good snorkeling at Shark's Cove and Chun's Reef in the summer.

Other beaches: There are close to 100 beaches on Oahu. Besides North Shore and Waikiki beaches these are some of the better ones: Makaha Beach (west shore), Waimanalo Beach, Lanikai Beach, Sandy Beach, Hanauma Bay and Kailua Beach (east/Windward side), Ala Moana Beach Park (south shore). All public beaches are free except Haunama Bay.

Dole Pineapple Plantation: On H-2 just past Wahiawa. Can visit on the way to or back from the North Shore. Nice gift shop to browse, but expensive. Go behind the center for pineapple exhibits and carp feeding pond.

Kualoa Ranch: Several movies have been set here: (Jurassic Park, Mighty Joe Young and others), ATV rides, horseback riding, tours. Located across from Kualoa Regional Park.

Waikiki: Beaches, shopping, dining, nightclubs, shows, some museums. Wide range in dining prices. $3-4 breakfasts, $6-10 lunch buffets, $20-$25 fine dining and anywhere in between. Best Waikiki shows: Creation: A Polynesian Journey, John Hirokawa's Magic of Polynesia, Society of Seven, Blue Hawaii (Elvis impersonator), many more to chose from. Many Waikiki shows offer cocktail show along with the dinner show. They seat you after everyone else has eaten. Regular price of shows around $40-$60. Cocktail show about $25-$35. There are several short free hula shows and other demonstrations in Waikiki daily. Check the brochures for location, days and times. Check brochures for coupons for shows/dining/shopping, etc.

Downtown Area: Aloha Tower (take elevator to the top, nice view), Chinatown, Hawaii Maritime Center, Iolani Palace, Bishop Museum, other museums.

Botanical Gardens: Oahu has many botanical gardens. Most are free, the others charge a few bucks. Haiku Garden in Kaneohe is nice and is a nice stop if you are taking an island driving tour. Located near Byodo-In-Temple (Valley of the Temples). Check brochures or get info on-line. Search: oahu botanical gardens

Other: Sea Life Park, Zoo, Aquarium, Dinner cruise, whale watching cruise, submarine tours, parasailing, helicopter tours, horseback riding, Hawaiian Waters Adventure Park, scuba, surfing lessons, other luau shows (Germaine's, Paradise Cove). Many other attractions, things to do. Check the brochures.

Brochures: (free) Can be found in the airport baggage claim area or at hundreds of news stands throughout Waikiki, in hotels, in stores, and at some attractions. These are excellent "things to do and see" guide books (maps, attractions, beaches, dining, night clubs, etc.). There are a lot of coupons in these for dining, shopping, etc. The best brochures are: 'This Week on Oahu', 'Oahu Gold', '101 Things Oahu', 'The BEST of Oahu'. Some of these brochures can also be found for other islands (Maui, Kauai, Big Island) unique to that island. Most of these brochures also have on-line versions.

Websites:
www.thisweek.com 'This Week On Oahu' They will send up-to-date brochures for a few bucks. Also This Week Maui, Kauai, Big Island.
www.spotlighthawaii.com 'Oahu Gold' They will send up-to-date brochures for a few bucks. Also Maui Gold, Big Island Gold, Kauai Gold.
www.gohawaii.com This is the official site for Hawaii Visitors and Convention Bureau. They will send a free brochure.
www.101thingstodo.com
www.visit-oahu.com Oahu Visitors Bureau, for free brochure 1-877-525-6248 (toll free)
www.hawaii.com Good site for comparing hotel locations, prices, etc.
www.hawaiiweb.com
www.alternative-hawaii.com
www.hawaii-hotels.com Compare hotels
www.bookit.com Compare hotels
www.alohafriends.com
www.honoluluadvertiser.com one of two main Honolulu newspapers, has dining & entertainment guides, TGIF calendar
www.starbulletin.com one of two main Honolulu newspapers, also has dining & entertainment

Automobiles: Oahu is the only island that you can get around by bus. Oahu has a good bus system, but a rental vehicle gets around a lot better. Parking in Waikiki can be a problem at times. If you plan on renting a car, make sure your hotel allows parking at the hotel or in a nearby lot or garage. Get the parking pass at the hotel registration area. Probably $8-$14/day to park at the hotel. You can get city bus passes at any ABC store in Waikiki for $20 for 4 days. Or you can pay $2.00 per trip. There are also many shuttles, tour buses and vans and trolleys that go to many places (some are free).

Internet Search Engines: Use Yahoo, Google, Dogpile or any other search engine to find information on any thing else on Oahu (or other island) that may interest you. Type in: hiking hawaii, hiking oahu, bed and breakfast oahu, condominiums oahu, botanical gardens oahu, oahu hotels or any other terms that will get you information.

Hotels: Most hotels (or hotel chains) have their own 800 numbers and/or websites: www.outrigger.com www.sheraton.com www.ohanahotels.com, etc. Or you can use a search engine to find the website or use the search engine's yellow pages for the phone number.

Entertainment Book
Entertainment books for Hawaii and many other locations can be purchased online at www.entertainment.com. They cost around $35-$40 plus shipping or if you wait until mid-March, the price is reduced to about $25 (or less) with free shipping. Expires November 1.
Coupons include half price tickets for John Hirokawa's Magic Show. Hundreds of other coupons for reduce price luaus, shopping, dining, movies, attractions, etc. The Hawaii book also has many mainland coupons for hotels, car rentals, Universal Studios, Sea World, etc.

Phone Cards: If you don't have a cell phone, the best phone cards right now can be found at Costco or Sam's Club. Right now they are only $.03/m, 24 hours a day, seven days a week with no monthly charge. Can be used from pay phones ($.25 or eight units surcharge from pay phone), hotels, homes.
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 07:10 PM

Don't skip PH, its an amazing experience. We went about 8 years ago, ..you can skip the tour of the Missouri unless you love battleships...the men in my family love to tour them everywhere we go! i guess its the NAvy roots.. But from the 14 year old up after visiting PH, we felt an amazing renewed sence of appreciation for America, even before 9/11. Its a unique experience. We are going next week, as we added a new member to our vacation.. He will want to do the Missouri though too!!!! Have fun! hawaii is an experience you will want to repeat, no matter what you choose to do!
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 07:12 PM

I wouldn't skip Pearl Harbor or Punchbowl Crater. These were the only 2 things worth seeing on the island. We were shocked how it was so commercialized. Not "paradise" at all.
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

We aren't planning to do the Missouri nor the Bowfin...been there done that elsewhere. But Pearl Harbor is different...more reverent from what I here.

dusty: Yes, I've taken note of your wonderfully compressed travel guide on other posts! Thank you for the info!
However, what I'm trying to do here is get a TIMELINE, not suggestions of more things to do...I already have too much for the short time I'll be there!

However, I did glean one additional suggestion from your post. To do Diamond Head at 4PM, instead of the AM. Trouble was, everyone has been recommending doing EVERYING (at least the snorkeling, kayaking and PH,... sites that may have a line) in the AM.

Maybe we can get it in on the 1st day there..Our flight in is 10:30, get checked in, lunch somewhere, then do Diamond Head?....I had thought maybe one of the Drives(PunchBowl or Pali or Tantalus), but don't know how much time each of those would involve??
Belle.
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 08:04 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I very much enjoyed the tour through the Honolulu Academy of the Arts out to Doris Duke's ShangriLa. Be sure to get tickets ahead of time, they are small groups and only a few each day. Your ticket also gives you admission to the art museum.

There's a website or call 1-866-DUKETIX $25
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

suze: How much time was involved, both in travel and the actual tour? Thanks Belle.
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 09:39 PM

The drive up Tantalus is about 45 minutes to one hour including a stop at the State Wayside. Punchbowl at the bottom will add another 1/2 hour or so. The bottom is just off H-1.

You could also do it when you do the Chinatown tour as it is close to downtown Honolulu. Or you could add it to a circle island tour or on the way back from Arizona Memorial and swap meet.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 03:55 AM

An ambitous itinerary!

I can help by keeping the tour short and
sweet (I have trouble doing that) and getting you on your way to other destinations.

Just let me know the date.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 04:51 AM
iceeu2

OSB, don't plan anything until later in the afternoon on the day you do the tour with PPC. Especially, if he accompanys you to lunch.

He is so interesting and easy to talk to, you will still have questions even if he does cut his tour short. And now that we know that "deah heart" can talk the purty southuhn language...., well you just need to plan longer than noon!

Old Jun 6th, 2005, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

PCC: Oh No! I want "the whole nine yards" ! Your tour and Hanauma Bay, Diamond Head are my 'top billing' events! Belle.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

PCC: I sent you an e-mail last night about the date. Did you get it?

dusty: OK, so that gives me something to 'chew on'! But I thought Chinatown was walkable from HHV...is this not so??

If YOU were going to cut something from my list, what would it be and why?
Thanks again, Belle.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 07:02 PM

the good news...

I had five deah ladies yesterday, all college classmates from Portland, Oregon, Jewish but not kosher, so we made our way through Pork City, Hawaii without much difficulty.

Alert and Attention, everyone! China is about Pork City! If you are observant or Orthodox, contact me first so that we can design a tour that will be Lawful!

Today, we had thirty-four people. Well over our optimum size of twelve. so I am aware that we are definetly into our summer travel season.

My recommendation is that if you have a group of six or more people, arrange a tour on your own seperate day for your own group.

I can be reached at [email protected],
[email protected], or (808) 227-6008.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 07:13 PM

You gotta do a bit of shopping at the Crazy Shirts outlet! Lots of great stuff at really good prices.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 08:17 PM

Chinatown is about 3 miles from HHV. It is in downtown Honolulu near Aloha Tower.

The lookout on Punchbowl faces downtown. It is about 3/4 mile from downtown.

Here is a good site for good driving/walking tours of Oahu. It has several tours. Each tour has several pages.

You can combine some of them in order to see/do some things.

http://honolulu.hawaii.edu/tours/

It has a Circle Island Tour, a Windward & East Island Tour, Downtown Tour, Waikiki Walking Tour.

I would add a few things (that are on my list of things to do) and subtract a few things. No need to go to so many botanical gardens unless you have ten days or more.

Old Jun 8th, 2005, 04:59 AM

I agree with charting things out on a map and estimating how much can be done each day. Sometimes I even re-prioritize AFTER I get there on a day by day basis. You must remain flexible and plan on some relaxation time. I do not feel that you have to do Pearl Harbor to be patriotic. I found it to be a LONG half day and a very choppy boat ride. Probably wouldn't do it again...
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 07:19 AM

Where is Kapena falls? Its it better than the Sacred Falls hike?
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 12:17 PM

Sacred Falls is closed. Eight people were killed there in 1999 and the state has closed the trail since.

KAPENA FALLS TRAIL is hidden in the residential area of Honolulu. This was a sacred bathing area for royalty in ancient Hawaiian times and there are still petroglyphs created during these times on rocks in the area including one of a canine image who is believed to be the guardian spirit of the falls. Locals who believe in the guardian canine spirit will only jump into the waterfall pool only after they test to see if the spirit is not home. This is done by tossing a ti leaf into the water. If the leaf floats, the pool is safe, but if it sinks, they postpone swimming to another day.

Be aware that all naturally existing water sources can contain Leptospirosis or other micro-organisms so be cautious if you have open skin cuts. The highest jumping point is 60-feet but there are also lower jumping points. Be cautious jumping and never jump in head first.

Driving & Hike Directions: To get to a parking area near Kapena falls you should be driving south on Pali Hwy (61). Stop and park at the lookout area overlooking the Japanese pagoda. Lock your car and do not leave any valuables in it. This is a high car theft area and you will probably see broken car window glass at the lookout from prior car break in?s.

It only takes about three minutes to get to the falls from your parked car. To get to the trail walk north along the highway wall. Look on the left for an opening and a sign posted warning of Leptospirosis.

Enter the trail there and in about a minute you are at the falls. Keep an eye out for ancient Hawaiian petroglyphs in the area.