Hawaii Corona Virus Response

Old Mar 17th, 2020, 09:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hawaii Corona Virus Response

Hawaii's Gov. Ige gave a press conference today. Here's the summary:

He is requesting that all discretionary travel to Hawaii within the next 30 days be postponed. Those who do enter the state (via cruise ship or flight) will be subject to temperature scanning. He mandated that all bars, entertainment venues, and tourist attractions be closed. Restaurants will only be able to sell food for call-ahead takeout.

Foodland is instituting special hours for only kupuna to shop (during the first hour the store is open).
Old Mar 18th, 2020, 03:10 AM

Sounds like what is being done here too. Time to stay home.
Old Mar 18th, 2020, 04:33 AM

The OUter Banks is closed to only emergency personnel and homeowners.

We are at our beach place in Pawley's Island and going home tomorrow. Many of the restaurants are closed and more as of today. We live in a retirement community which is locked down to visitors. No communal dining--pickup meals or have them delivered to you. We live in a cottage outside the main building so are even more separated.
Old Mar 18th, 2020, 11:10 AM

Good luck Gretchen, LA area is pretty much the same. I have been trying to figure out how to get groceries delivered today tomorrow or Friday. Not needing any virus related items either, just bread, butter, ice cream and other essential items. The two largest grocery store chains are already not delivering and am trying to get ahold of Target's delivery partner. Next try, Amazon.
Old Mar 18th, 2020, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by jamie99
Good luck Gretchen, LA area is pretty much the same. I have been trying to figure out how to get groceries delivered today tomorrow or Friday. Not needing any virus related items either, just bread, butter, ice cream and other essential items. The two largest grocery store chains are already not delivering and am trying to get ahold of Target's delivery partner. Next try, Amazon.
I agree ice cream is essential but not sure how successful delivery would be. I managed to pick up some yogurt and ice cream at a Grocery Outlet near me a few days ago. It wasn't crazy busy at about 4pm. They had a one per person limit on fresh milk.

Next Door has some people posting about where they are finding things in the stores, but by the time people get there, it's gone! Crazy.

Old Mar 18th, 2020, 07:42 PM

Thanks for posting this info, Songdoc. Things are shut down I the Seattle area. We are "sheltering in place" meaning we are pretty much confined to our house.
Old Mar 19th, 2020, 07:20 AM

Store here in Boynton Beach was fully stocked yesterday, including paper towels and tp. We're good for quite awhile now. (we also have an RV, so raided it yesterday -- paper towels, Clorox wipes, tp, hand soap, Purell, NyQuil, all the essentials for a quarantine). We're in a golf community, and we're on lockdown - the only thing open is food delivery for those who are really in need of it. It's very spread out here, so we can go for a walk or bike ride within the community.
Old Mar 20th, 2020, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

We are now under a curfew on Kauai. Those in charge are being EXTRA careful because there are only (9) ICU beds on the entire island. They will likely institute a 14-day quarantine for ALL people arriving in Hawaii -- including residents!

Very few people are even out walking. Now that the farmer's markets have all been cancelled they have set up a drive-through farmer's market. For a set fee you can buy a box of vegetables or fruit. It helps the farmers, as well as those who don't want to go into stores.

I am fostering two kittens. When I take them back to the shelter for their check-ups, I will leave them outside the car door and a gloved staff-member will pick them up and return them.

Old Mar 20th, 2020, 09:28 PM

Amazon has only limited delivery slots her near Sacramento, and sometimes it's a wait of 4 or 5 days and odd hours for deliveries. There's now a feel for some time slots.
Old Mar 21st, 2020, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

The mandatory 14-day quarantine for ALL people arriving in Hawaii -- including residents -- has just been approved. Failure to comply will be punishable by a $5,000 fine and jail time.
The pool where I live has closed, and I am guessing most, if not all, will follow suit.