Hawaii- Can't decide which islands to include

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to hawaii with my husband for 7 nights in June. We have been before but not for about 20 years so I dont know what has changed. We are not interested in Honolulu and want the most upscale and luxurious accomodations we can find. Peaceful is good. Will probably rent a car to explore and I am assuming we will spend at least part of the time in Maui. I am trying to decide where to spend the other half of the time.
Suggestions?
We want nice beaches, natural beauty. We are not golfers and not really hikers.
Old May 16th, 2013, 12:24 PM

spend the whole 7 nights on Maui.
Old May 16th, 2013, 01:38 PM

Here is a nice guide to the beaches in Hawaii with different ratings for each beach. http://www.hawaiigaga.com/hawaii-best-beaches.aspx Hopefully, you'll be a pro about the beaches in Hawaii. Have fun by the way!
Old May 16th, 2013, 02:47 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Spend it all on Maui, 7 days will fly by.
Old May 16th, 2013, 06:26 PM

With 7 nights, I'd also spend it all on one island, either Maui or Kauai for me.
Old May 16th, 2013, 07:46 PM

Four Seasons Hualalai is the best hotel in Hawaii. On The Big Island of Hawaii.
Old May 17th, 2013, 10:00 AM

You could sample more than one hotel on Maui. Three top lodgings are Four Seasons Wailea, The Ritz at Kapalua, and Travaasa Hana. There's also Four Seasons Lanai.

With only a week, you don't want to spend boring time in airports going between islands.

You need a rental car everywhere except Honolulu proper. Reserve on immediately; June is busy.
Old May 20th, 2013, 09:30 PM

With seven nights, pick one island. Don't rule out Oahu, either. You don't have to stay in Honolulu; there are options elsewhere on the island that might work for you.
Old May 20th, 2013, 09:30 PM

With seven nights, pick one island. Don't rule out Oahu, either. You don't have to stay in Honolulu; there are options elsewhere on the island that might work for you.
Old May 20th, 2013, 10:01 PM

The Fairmont Orchid and the Mauna Lani resorts on the Big Island are very nice. One of them offers private places right at the beach, I think the Orchid.
Old May 21st, 2013, 05:26 AM

The nicest hotel in Hawaii is the Four Seasons on the Big Island. It is a magical place. If I was going to spend one week in Hawaii, that is where I would go.
Old May 21st, 2013, 01:03 PM

These are my top choices for luxury resorts and I also agree to stay on one island for the whole week. You can probably do some research to see which one is right for you. If you think you'll be bored, you can always just switch hotels on the same island (for example: Maui - Four Seasons Wailea then Ritz Carlton Kapalua) but even so...I'd stick to one for true relaxation.

Four Seasons Hualalai on BI
Four Seasons Wailea on Maui
Ritz Carlton Kapalua on Maui
Four Seasons (either one) on Lanai
St. Regis Princeville on Kauai
Grand Hyatt Poipu on Kauai
Andaz Wailea on Maui (I do not think this hotel is open yet but it's supposed to this year)

I know you said no Oahu but if you were considering it then:
Halekulani
Royal Hawaiian
Turtle Bay on North Shore - I don't think it's up to par with the rest but their beach cottages and villas are lovely!
Old May 21st, 2013, 06:54 PM

We spent 5 days on Maui and 2 on Kauai. Both very different and both very beautiful. We would've enjoyed more time on Kauai. I agree with everyone else...the week will fly by.

Grand Hyatt Poipu on Kauai was very nice.
Old May 22nd, 2013, 08:12 AM

We spent 5 days on Maui and 2 on Kauai. Both very different and both very beautiful. We would've enjoyed more time on Kauai.

We've been on each of Oahu, Maui and Kauai on multiple occasions. In my opinion, the west portion of Maui is not beautiful, although it has many things going for it. Upcountry is beautiful, the road to Hana is beautiful, but the west half, not so much, other than IN the resorts. Kauai is much more tropically beautiful than Maui everywhere you turn. The south part of Kauai is very very nice, but the north part is what you think of when you picture tropical Hawaii. Lush does not say enough. The beaches are fantastic (as are some of the beaches in the south). Also charming (except for Princeville, which is a planned community that could be in Boca Raton it's very "faceless").
Old Jun 1st, 2013, 05:25 PM

agree stay put! Too much time wasted packing, unpacking, driving, flying waiting, etc.when you only have 7 nights. Mauna Kea Resort on the Big Island is awesome and the best beach in all of Hawaii IMHO. The Fairmont Orchid is also great. the Four Seasons, I understand is quite luxurious but have not stayed there. Popular with the movie stars...Kauai - St. Regis in Princeville or Grand Hyatt in Poipu.....
Old Jun 1st, 2013, 07:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Luxury? Expensive? Definitely the Four Seasons Wailea
Old Jun 1st, 2013, 07:46 PM

We loved the Wailea area on Maui; we went there for our honeymoon. It's upscale, luxurious, relaxing, nice beaches - all the things you're looking for.
Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 09:38 AM

a week on maui is epic! stay put....the consensus speaks truth...not enough time to wind down and gear up for another isle. really savor one island. 20 years has advanced all islands in development and style yet Maui and Kauai still cling to the old ways as best we can. More elbow room, ease of flow and quiet. Wailea is good with amenities galore on site at which ever hotel and near by. Kihea/Wailea Not very elegant in regards to sumptuous green valleys or great scenery but seems like you want to minimally venture(?) Day jaunts to Kula, up to the summit, Paia and Makawao just to cruise are pretty choice! Hana's a challenge well worth the full day cruise. If you said you are nature buffs or crave a ton of pristine reefs and ocean endeavors, i'd advocate for Kauai. WAY more slow motion savor and authentic...have a great trip!
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 07:51 PM

Just pick 1 island. There is so much to see on all of them you will regret wasting the time to travel from one to the other. A week on Maui or the Big Island are my 2 top picks.

On the Big Island try staying on the Kohala Coastline, as it's pretty central to shopping, dining, beaches and activities. I stayed in a condo at Mauna Lani Point last year and loved it - they had great ocean views (www.maunalanipoint.com) and a full kitchen, so I could have breakfast on the lanai every morning!

On Maui, stay on the west side. I have been in a number of the properties here and Kaanapali Alii is great, but on a bus stretch of Kaanapali beach or if you want to stay in town there is a little 10-unit condo right on baby beach called Puunoa Beach Estates (very high end condos).

Have a great trip!