Hawaii - Big Island vs Kauai

Aug 7th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Hawaii - Big Island vs Kauai

Hi Everyone,

I'm planning a trip to Hawaii for October, and am trying to decide between BI and Kauai. From everything I've read, Kauai seems to have more natural beauty, but the BI seems to have more variety in terms of activities, etc. Also, the BI has the active volcano (and where else do I get to see that?).

I'll have about 6 days there, and am not sure if it is feasible to spend a couple of days in BI (focusing on the volcano national park) and then spend the rest of my time in Kauai.

Any suggestions?
Aug 7th, 2006, 12:20 PM

I would definitely do both. The Big Island has the volcanos, and that is worth seeing, but Kauai has so much natural beauty. I could spend days on Kauai, riding in the western mountains, floating through old sugar plantations, snorkelling...
Aug 7th, 2006, 12:32 PM

With six days, I'd bit pick one...The Big Island.

-Bill
Aug 7th, 2006, 12:45 PM

Jeezus. What I meant to say was, I'd pick one.
Aug 7th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks - on BI, do you guys recommend staying on the Hilo side or the Kona side, or maybe in the Volcano National Park? I will be renting a car while I'm there, so does where I stay make a significant difference?

Aug 7th, 2006, 06:21 PM
P_M

I'm also planning a trip to the BI around that time and I have been told the weather is a lot better in Kona. They say that Hilo is the rainiest city in the US. Also I'm told the snorkeling is a lot better in the Kona area. Our plan is 5 days in Kona and 2 at Volcano.
Aug 8th, 2006, 04:13 AM

With 6 days you could do both. If you stick with one, would do BI and definitely stay on Kona side. Much less rain and quieter IMO.
Aug 8th, 2006, 06:04 AM
Kal

Agree with imaq...The Big Island and use all 6 days to do it up right.
Aug 8th, 2006, 06:08 AM

Cal,

It's iamq! And I'm so glad we finally agree on something other than how awful Kaua'i is. :-"

-Bill

Aug 8th, 2006, 06:25 AM
Kal

ooops...still haven't had a full cuppa the ol' Flogers coffee.
My buddy retired to The Big Island so it has to be better than Kauai.
Aug 8th, 2006, 07:17 AM

The inter-island flights are generally under an hour and under $50 one-way. We're going to Hawaii in 2 weeks (woohoooooo!) and decided on two full days on BI followed by five days in Oahu. We really wanted to hike the volcano, but had more interest in Oahu. I'd vote for doing both.
Aug 8th, 2006, 07:31 AM
MaureenB

I'm never a fan of moving much place-to-place while vacationing, so I'd suggest you stay on one of the islands for the 6 days. They are both beautiful, and you can't go wrong, really, with either one of them.
Have you looked at weather stats for each? Because we had two weeks in Hawaii (the state) one January, where it rained everyday in Kauai, but was dry when we moved down to the Big Island.
For several years, our family of four has spent two weeks on the Big Island alone. After visiting nearly every other island, we decided the BI is our favorite for its variety, more local and less-crowded feeling. But I will say that I miss the lushness of Kauai.
If you go to the Big Island, I'd say you stay near Kona, but be sure to travel up north and even to Hilo if you want. There's so much variety on the island.

Aug 8th, 2006, 09:08 AM

I personally think 6 days is not enough time to do 2 Islands, between packing and traveling.
We did 7 days on Kauai,2 nights near Waipio,1 night in Volcano and another full day of sightseeing before heading back to the Mainland.
Aug 8th, 2006, 09:11 AM
pat

The BI. You might think of flying into Hilo, staying a couple of days to see the volcano, then driving to Kona, (Where yes, the weather is nicer) and flying home from Kona. The BI is my favorite!
Aug 8th, 2006, 05:14 PM

Kal, Billy, have you guys been partaking of the spirits while posting?
Hmmmmmm?
8-)
Aug 8th, 2006, 05:21 PM
iceeu2

jammer....my friend bbq is a tea totaler!

Now, Kal........well???????????

Aug 8th, 2006, 05:50 PM

BTW i2, I will be on Kauai in mid March for at least a month. I think I'll fly on an open ticket.
8-)
Aug 8th, 2006, 06:43 PM

Jamal,

I'm on a natural high.

And I'm natually gifted with the wit that you see evidence of here.

Open ticket? That means you'll still be there when I arrive on July 30?

-Bill
Aug 8th, 2006, 08:27 PM
sistahlou

UnwedUnfed, pay no attention to these merry pranksters. They are a service organization.

Are you talking 6 days 5 nights? or 6 days 7 nights? Consider travel time as there are not a lot of direct flights from BI to Kauai and you may have to go thru Honolulu.

You realize the BI is Big....size of Connecticutt I've heard. So you could do a one night drivein to volcano and cross your fingers that it is flowing that day, which may or may not happen and then head to the airport, or you could hunker down and see the island for what it is, and it is spectacular.
Or you could just suffer thru Kauai the whole time, which many here have done time and time again. If your answer is 5 nights, I'd say you are pushin it rather thin trying to see 2 islands and pick and drop off cars. I notice this is your first post. Good luck planning!

Aug 8th, 2006, 11:20 PM

Very possible, Billy. It all depends on how long I can put up with the chickens, lousy weather, bugs, terrible restaurants, lack of anything to do, bugs, chickens, crazy drivers, frequent muggers, etc. Did I mention chickens?

Unwed..........definitely only one island on a six day trip.

8-)