Search

Hawaii advise

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 03:37 PM
amy

Hawaii advise

I am getting married in August 2002 and planning to take a 10 day honeymoon to Hawaii, I was thinking that I wanted to go to The Big Islad, Kauai, and Maui each for three nights. Do you think that I will be spreading myself thin and won't be able to see everything the islands have to offer? Or, do you think it is doable as I want to see as much as I can while in Hawaii.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 04:01 PM
Susan

That sounds like a lot of packing and unpacking, checking in and checking out for a relaxing honeymoon, especially when all three islands are not that terribly different. I'd suggest eliminating either Kauai or Maui, depending on what you are planning on doing.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 04:07 PM
ryan

Amy,
This issue has come up several times over the last few months.

My advice has been, it depends on your own personality. Does it take you more than a few days to grow used to a place? Would you rather see a little of three islands or much more of two?

How much time did to plan on devoting to just relaxing on the beach versus touring around? with 3 days in each, relaxation time will be limited.

Personally, it takes me a few days to get the feel of a place and start to unwind. I hate the hassle of checking out, returning the rental car, waiting for a flight, getting the rental car, checking into a new hotel. With three days in each spot I probably wouldn't even unpack my bag.

I don't know how big of a wedding you are having, but when I got married in April 2000, my wife and I were drained by the end. We spent the first four days of our honeymoon relaxing by the beach and pool. You may be much more tired than you realize, especially if you have a long flight to Hawaii.

Personally, I'd say stick to Maui, and then either the BI or Kauai. In 10 days, three will be tough.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 04:44 PM
Huh?

Now come on Susan, have you ever actually been to Hawaii, or are you just shooting from the hip here?

I really can't ever recall reading/hearing anyone (here at Fodor's or in person) say that the 3 islands mentioned are all quite similar.

I've been to all the islands, most several times, and I just can't understand how anyone could come to such a conclusion.
The social atmosphere is VERY different on the three.
The landscape from Big Island to Kauai is night and day different.
The activities available on the three are quite different.
The lodging and shopping options on Maui are markedly greater than on the other two.

Why do you think so many people consternate so much about which islands to visit? If they were all so similar it wouldn't matter.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 04:46 PM
Lisa

I agree that 3 islands may be too much. My fiancee and I are planning our honeymoon right now, as well, and considered the same thing. However, it looks like we may just do one island - Maui. It's got great beaches and isn't too secluded so we can have lots of variety for dining, etc. And we want to tour the island to enjoy the nature and scenery.

A couple of people have told us Kaui may not be the best island for a first-time visitor. Unless all you want to do is sit on the beach, there aren't as many activities on Kaui compared to Maui. The Big Island seems ok, but some say the beaches aren't as nice and it's not as lush as the other islands.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 04:51 PM
amy

Huh?
What would you suggest? What are your fave island?

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 04:52 PM
Susan

Well, if she were going to Europe for 10 days and was never to return and wanted to see London, Paris and Amsterdam, I'd say it was worth the packing and unpacking. On the other hand, if she plans to sit on a beautiful beach one day, she can do that on all three islands. If she wants to take a hike through a rain forest, she can do so on all three islands. If she wants to go snorkeling, windsurfing, scuba-diving, she can do so on all three islands. Get my point? Depends on what she wants to do.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 05:18 PM
whirlwind

We honeymooned in 1980 for one day in Waikiki, three in Maui and three in Kauai. It was a whirlwind, and the moral is: you can't have your cake and eat it too. You would be more relaxed by going two places for five night each. Years later, we moved to Hawaii and lived there for many years. By the way, Waikiki, which was a place we did not want to visit on our honeymoon, turned out to be one of our favorite places as kamaaina! Look, the big Island is huge--why not save it for separate adventure later? Good luck...

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 05:25 PM
Huh?

OK, I see what you're trying to say, Susan, but that's a little like saying "What's the difference whether you vacation in Hawaii, North Dakota, or Cancun...they all have McDonald's, outdoor parks, and night clubs".

Amy: if you want the best advice as to what will make YOUR honeymoon best for YOUR tastes and goals, we'd need to know things like: whether you plan to hike/snorkel/bike or just sun/eat/sleep/shop; whether or not you've been to tropical vacation spots before; whether you have a strong or minimal interest in seeing things like Volcanoes National Park on BI (which is BI's most unique asset); whether you are active vacationers or whether you like a slow, relaxing pace; whether you think you'll have a chance to revisit Hawaii within the next several years, etc.
Most honeymooners would be burned out trying to see three islands in 10 days. I know a few hyperactive souls who like to vacation that way, but that's not most people.
In general, for a honeymoon, I'd recommend 2 islands, not knowing anything about your personality. The specific islands depend on the above issues.
There are literally hundreds of answers to this question in the archives (look thru the text search).