Search

Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2005, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hawaii

My fiance and I are considering Hawaii for our honeymoon this summer.
Can anyone recommend places to stay that might have more of a "small island" feel? For example, last summer we went to Nantucket and loved it, especially being able to ride our bikes around aimlessly in the afternoons and walking into town for dinner in the evenings. From my research it seems like in the Hanalei area in Kauai rhis might be possible, but I may be way off...hard to know for sure unless you've been there! We are really open to any islands and any type of accomodations (condo, house rental, or hotel). Would appreciate your input...
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 07:10 PM

Hana in Maui would be perfect
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 02:19 AM

The Napili/Kaupalua area in Maui would fit that bill. Like the above post, I think Maui would be the best island.
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 04:54 AM

Yes, Hanalei on Kauai would fit that criteria.

Hana is tiny - even compared to the towns on Nantucket and the swimming/snorkeling conditions there are often nomimal at best (if that is important to you).

Though I think that Ka'anapali would be too developed for the feeling you are looking for, Napili/Kapalua would indeed work for you.

Still think your orignal idea of Hanalei may be the best though.

Ken
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 05:20 AM

There are some beach cottages for rent on Hanalei Bay and you could walk into town for meals and shopping. That's a trip I'd like to make someday...

Where did you stay in Nantucket? That's ANOTHER trip I'd love to make.
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 06:29 AM

I would pick Hanalei. Its gorgeous and there are condo and cottage options available.
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 08:42 AM

I've been to all of the places mentioned, including Nantucket. I agree with your decision about Hanalei being the choice...what a terrific choice!
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 10:38 AM

jmc223,
Hanalei would work. It is lovely. We stayed there for two weeks this summer and after a few days we felt like we were residents and did all the things that you mention in your post that you did in Nantucket. There are no condos in Hanalei, but plenty of rentals. We used Na Pali Properties and liked them. There are lots of condos in Princeville and further up the road past Hanalei in Haena there is the Hanalei Colony Resort. The rentals in Hanalei book up quickly, so I would act soon.

-Bill
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

iamq,

looks like you mentioned in another post that you stayed at plantation cottage, but i couldn't find a review of it by you. Sounds like you enjoyed it though. How was the location? Is it within walking distance to beach, town?
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

and thanks to everyone for your input. you have been extremely helpful.
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 04:14 PM

Congrats! If you are still interested...my vote is for Kauai. You can't go wrong. The Hanalei area is so cute. DH and I are headed there in 14 days (I am counting) for the 3rd time. We prefer to stay in a more central location so we can visit both the north and south shores quite easily. (We stay in Kapaa.) But, even so, I think the Hanalei area has more of what you are looking for. The best part about being there is exploring, IMHO. So many different beaches that offer different things. If you are active types the hiking is fabulous. We are also doing a zipline and ATV rentals this time, I will post when we get back. (I got these last two good ideas on this forum.)
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 05:47 PM

jmc223,

Glad to help. Here is the link to my trip report that has a review of the plantation cottage and a link to my photos which has pictures of the house in it.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34659561

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bquarr...en%3as,1%3af,0

It is on a flag lot on an acre of land behind another rental that fronts Weke Road, so you don't have a great view of the bay from the house, but the views of the surrounding palm trees, the Wilcox estate and distant hills make up for it. It is a 2 minute walk to the beach pavillion and 5 minute walk to town. Hope this helps.

-Bill