Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

have you ever relocated as the result of an enjoyable trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2007, 03:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

business reasons aside, have you ever relocated to somewhere as the result of a trip you took there, and decided you liked it so much you simply had to move there and be one with the vibe and scenery?
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 05:04 AM

Not sure if I count this as a trip "epiphany" but when I attended college in San Antonio, I was close enough to start visiting a friend who was in college in Austin. After several weekends of visits I really loved the area, but didn't actually get to move here until about 6 years later. Now we live just north of metro Austin and plan to stay until we die!
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 06:03 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Yes. I moved to Seattle after vacationing here one time.
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 07:47 AM

Yes! After visiting my brother in the SF Bay Area for a few days, I moved the following week-end! I was young, and jobs in my area of business were readily available back then. That was 30 years ago. Still love it, and it's now my home.
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 07:54 AM

We haven't relocated but we dream of living in Albuquerque/Santa Fe area. About 20 years ago we took a trip to the area and fell in love with the views, the people, the weather, and the food. Since then, we have been there many, many times. If we want a relaxing weekend we head for the area. 20 years ago we should have bought property. Now, the value of the property is so high we can only afford to dream of relocating. We were there last weekend so we're still in a dream state.
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 08:01 AM

One year I skied in Steamboat Springs, CO. The next winter I moved there to be a ski bum.
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 09:02 AM

My parents moved near Pismo Beach, CA in the mid 70's. I would call from the freezing valley and ask what the temperature was during winter. When my dad would say 70 degrees I would groan.

We moved nearby (finally) and have been here for 14 years now. Maybe I shouldn't tell anybody?
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Don

Seattle. My wife and I went to a technical conference in Seattle in 1996 and just loved the place. We took one-week vacations here in '97 and '98 just to confirm our initial impressions of the place, then finally made the decision to move in late '98.

Been here ever since, and we'll likely stay here forever unless that lottery ticket comes in and we decide to retire in Tuscany.
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 11:27 AM

Yep, my car broke down in Albuquerque in 1976 and I was stuck here for a few days.

Went home (CT), quit my job and moved! Still here 30 years later!
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 12:09 PM

A guy I work with visited Hawaii from Maine over 10 years ago and never left! Married a local girl and has never missed the snow.
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 01:20 PM

My sister met and later married our taxi driver in Bermuda ... she moved from Vermont!
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 02:56 PM

Come on out, themerle - property prices are still pretty reasonable in Albuquerque!

Lee Ann
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 05:23 AM

Hmmm..
I was living in LA and went to visit a friend in NYC..stayed..a looong time.
My husband and I were living in Fl and went to Portland Oregon for a visit. Went back to Fl , put the house on the market and moved to Portland a few months later.
Last October we went to Buenos Aires to visit ( we had heard many people were moving to Argentina)..when we got home we started the paperwork and moved to Buenos Aires in April.
This past month we finally moved into our mostly finished restored 94 year old apartment in a lovely part of town.
We think we will stay here for a long time...we will be careful what cities we choose to visit ..you never know ~
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 06:11 AM
LN

We haven't experienced it but friends of ours have. They took a 4 week cruise through the Dismal Swamp in NC and VA and loved it. They saw a house that was everything they wanted, so they headed back to DC, put their house on the market, sold it in a day, and are now moving close to Elizabeth City NC this week. This was truly a life-changing trip and everything has happened within 3 months!!
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 06:50 AM

Sort of. We were living in Palm Beach, Florida, and had friends up in Gainesville, Fl. We are all part of a medieval re-enactment group (www.amtgard.com), and there are several events held in Gainesville every year, which we attended. We realized we wanted to buy a house, and couldn't afford one in south Florida. We loved the trees and hills in Gainesville, as well as having many friends there and affordable housing, so I found a job up there, and we moved.
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 08:58 AM

I have vacationed in several spots as 'research' for towns I thought I might want to move - New Brunfels, TX, Santa Fe, Sedona, Asheville, Scottsdale. As a result, i think i would be happy in Scottsdale (at least in winter), Sedona (but who can afford it?) or Santa Fe (a bit worried about he elevation; so will my cat be able to adjust to the elevation?) Timeframe: 26 months and counting every day!!! (Then I'll have 5 years in with the State of PA and can get a pension - not enough to really retire but since I am 3 years into it, might as well try for the 5). Anyone have any advice for any of these options? I am 53, single, love arts and travel and am like a fish out of water in Central PA!
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 09:30 AM
dmlove

I never did, but I met a woman on the beach in Aruba who came on vacation and NEVER LEFT!