Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Have the tourists returned to San Francisco?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 04:09 PM
amy

How long are the lines for the cable cars and other attractions? Is it necessary to make reservations for Alcatraz in advance?

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 05:39 PM
sharon

Funny you should ask. I was just going to post the question, "where are the tourists?"

I on the Hyde Street cable car line and this is the most deserted this area has felt since I moved here in 1996.

Where are you tourists?

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 05:42 PM
sharon

Oops. That was supposed to say that I LIVE on the Hyde Street cable car line.

I guess I also neglected to answer your questions. From what I hear, "advance reservations recommended" has take on a whole new meaning here in San Francisco. Advance now equals a few hours ahead, rather than a few weeks ahead. Kinda fun for us locals... but kinda scary for the restaurants and hotels.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 06:29 PM
amy

I'll be there next month. Hope things get better soon.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 09:40 PM
Owen O'Neill

I was there for a three day weekend last month (my first time in many years). Had a great time and hope to get back there again for a few days in August on a Seattle bound trip. I didn't go to many touristy areas on this trip but did notice that crowds seemed light...