have laptop will travel

Search

have laptop will travel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
have laptop will travel

Hi there comming to America in July/Aug and for the first time will be bringing my laptop with me. Can anyone give me advice as how to get online....what isp to use etc....can you point me to their websites so that i may get to know how to get online...by the way i have wifi
thanks
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

x
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 12:10 PM

Check aol.com or msn.com.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 12:32 PM

Nearly anywhere you look you can pick up a free AOL trial disc to download and dial up from anywhere. I know they have them at the post office if you have trouble finding one.
That would probably be the easiest and cheapest way to get on line. They are usually for a 45 or 60 day free trial period, just be sure to cancel it at the end of the period or they will charge your credit card. Make good notes when you activate as to how and when you need to cancel.

It may be possible to just google AOL and find a site on line to download the free trial without picking up a disc. Just don't activate it until you are ready to use it so you don't use up your free days.

Once you are on AOL, you can also go to webmail or anyone else and get your emails from your regular server.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 12:39 PM

Are you staying in a hotel?
If the hotel offers high speed or wireless connections you do not need an ISP.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 12:57 PM

I used http://www.maglobe.com/ when I needed access from Toronto last year. I am continuing to use their service when traveling until my hours run out.

They have local access numbers in a lot more communities than most of the services. And around the world.

Keith
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

thanks all for the info

ade
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 01:05 PM

If you have wireless capability, you can have free internet at jsut about any Starbucks. Some McDonalds are getting into the act as well. Many hotels offer wireless or have high-speed ethernet capability in the rooms. Many airports are either totally wireless capable or have some areas. American Airines Lounges are all wireless capable. You don't have to get in, just get close enough to the front door. For that one you will have to pay, but it's available. Other airline lounges have the same capabilities as well, but I can't tell you which ones exactly. Some will have it for free, some will charge, per hour per day, per stay. Some cities are wireless in entire neighborhoods.

There is nothing you have to study, look at. Once you get to a hotspot, open your laptop and it should recognize the fact that you are there. Click on your browser and if the spot is free it will automatically go to your home page and you could surf just like at home. If there is a charge a screen will show up that will tell you the different payment options, and once you input your credit card, again you could surf just like at home.

Here is a good site to give you some idea where there are hot-spots available, but don't forget, hundreds new spots are added everyday.

http://www.wi-fihotspotlist.com/browse/us/

Have a good trip!
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 01:43 PM

TxTravelPro makes a good point about hotel services. If you are staying at any major chains it may be worth looking to join their free member "clubs". Some hotels charge a small fortune for their high speed hook up. But I know that I joined Wyndham by Request for free, because now when I stay at a Wyndham or Summerhill Suites I get totally free high speed hookup, normally I think it's $12 a day. So when I stayed a month at a Summerfield Suites in LA, I got $360 worth of service free!