Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Havasu Falls/Grand Canyon - Horse rentals?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2023, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone!

After several years of postponemets due to Covid, our group is finally getting to go to Havasu Falls from our reservation back in 2020.

However, my buddy recently messed up his ankle and we're looking into options.

Has anyone rented a horse from the trailhead down to at least the village? I know horses aren't allowed at the campground. Or know of any tour operators in the area who provide horses for rental?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by ci8090; Feb 1st, 2023 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Added tag
Old Feb 11th, 2023, 10:22 PM

Havasu Falls/Grand Canyon - Horse rentals? -- no longer available

Congratulations -- and regrets to your injured friend. I assume you know all about the new registration procedure (starting with a required stop at Grand Canyon Caverns), as well as Covid mask requirements and such.

As of 2018 or maybe 2019, saddle horses were no longer available. The Havasupai outlawed all tour operators in 2019, so there's no help there. Pack mules are available for carrying bags, but not people.

It may or may not be possible to arrange for helicopter transportation. Pre-Covid, helicopter flights were available four days a week in peak season (less in the colder months). It's not clear if such flights will be available again. You'll need to check directly with the tribe. Be aware that, even if available, flights are subject to cancellation without notice, meaning you'll need to be prepared to hike if necessary.

There is now an official tribe Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/HavasupaiTribeTourismOfficial (the many other Facebook pages about the Havasupai are unofficial). This is in addition to the official websites --https://www.theofficialhavasupaitribe.com/ and the associated sites for camping and lodge reservations. The last time I checked, it wasn't known if or when helicopter flights would resume.

Old Feb 13th, 2023, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Igott, appreciate the response. We’re looking into the helicopter rides.

For future reference, AirWest is the operator and they’re currently running although there are no reservations allowed