Trip to Lake Havasu and Grand Canyon

May 29th, 2003, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Trip to Lake Havasu and Grand Canyon

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are leaving Friday June 6th and driving from Seattle to Lake Havasu AZ. I have never been there before and would love some suggestions of things to do. We are hoping to arrive Sunday in Lake Havasu and spend a week with some friends we are meeting. We are both camping in trailers. We are planning to stay a week at the campground and spend time swimming, jet skiing, fishing, etc. A week seems like a ling time though so I thought maybe there were some neat places nearby that we could do day trips to in the car. Any input would be appreciated!

After a week there we are driving to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon and camping for 5 days. I also need some help here. I think we are going to drive to Sedona and spend a day and maybe Flagstaff but we weren't sure what else there was to do ands how much time we should plan on spending at the GC itself. We would be up for some hiking but nothing super strenuous. We are both in good shape but don't do a lot of difficult hikes normally.

The last thing is the driving. Is there anything good to see on the way down from Seattle to Lake Havasu? What about on the way from Lake Havasu to the GC? How long should it take to drive from Lake Havasu to the South Rim? How about from the South Rim to Sedona and Flagstaff?

Sorry to be so long winded and to ask so many questions, I just want to make the most of our time. Thanks so much!

Heidi
May 29th, 2003, 07:53 PM

Do a search here on "Lake Havasu" We are spending one night there between Grand Canyon and San Diego and I asked a few questions here this winter - got some really funny answers - check it out.
May 29th, 2003, 10:18 PM

Hi Hiedi,

From Seattle to Lake Havasu is 1355 miles and it will take almost the three days you have to get there pulling a trailer.

A fun day trip from Lake Havasu would be to take Old Route 66 and go to Oatman, AZ which is a living ghost town. This place is a fun tourist trap with burro's that roam the main street. They stop the traffic on the main highway and stage gunfights. From Lake Havasu to Oatman is 55 miles.

http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/az/oatman.html

On the same day trip or on another day you might want to go to Laughlin if you are interested in gambling. It's the way Las Vegas use to be about 20 or 30 years ago.

If you are a real Route 66 history buff you might be interested in the museum in Kingman which would be on your way to the Grand Canyon.

http://www.route66usa.com/arizona.html

I would plan on at least a couple of days at the S. Rim riding the shuttle buses to all the stops and maybe walking along the rim. Take a day and make all the scenic overlook stops along Hwy 64 to Desert View and then go on to Cameron. This is a scenic drive. Then head south on Hwy 89 towards Flagstaff. Take the Hwy 395 loop and explore Wupakti Nationl Monument and Sunset Crater before reaching Flagstaff.

Another day trip from the Grand Canyon you might like taking a trip up to Glen Canyon National Recreational Area and Lake Powell near Page, AZ. If you plan ahead you could take a half day boat trip on the lake to Rainbow Bridge National Monument. From the S. Rim to Page, AZ is 137 miles.

If you need a scenic way back home and have a few days let me know.

Utahtea

May 30th, 2003, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Hi Utahtea,

Thanks for all of the great information, I really appreciate it! I would love to get the information from you on a scenic drive home. We will be leaving the GC on Friday morning and will have all day Friday, Saturday, and Sunday to get home.

I booked us an all day river rafting trip one day that starts at Lake Powell. Hopefully that will be fun. I figured we'd do that one day, then hit Sedona one day and that leaves us 2.5 days left to explore the GC. If we get to see enough the day we arrive we might try the scenic drive you suggested to Flagstaff.

As far as Lake Havasu goes I think we will spend a day seeing Oatman, and then Laughlin sounds like fun too. That only leaves us with 4 full days left and I think we can entertain ourselves fishing and swimming.

Thanks again for the great information and I will look forward to receiving your information on a good route home.

Heidi
May 31st, 2003, 12:52 AM

Hi Hiedi,

Three days isn't a lot of time considering you have so far to go with a trailer.

If it were me I would leave the Grand Canyon going east on Hwy 64 and then take Hwy 89 north past Lake Powell. This is a beautiful drive. Stay on Hwy 89 to Mt. Carmel Junction and then take Hwy 9 into Zion National Park. There is restriction on the tunnel and you will have to pay the $10 to stop traffic so you can drive thought the tunnel. It's not really that big of a deal. I would recommend making reservations at Watchman campground which has electrical hookups in Zion NP and spend the night here. From here I would take the interstates home. You might even consider leaving the Grand Canyon a night earlier and spend two nights at Zion.

Have you made reservations for the Grand Canyon yet? If you want to stay in the park then you better make them as soon as possible. We already have ours for August.

Utahtea

Jun 4th, 2003, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Utahtea,

Thanks for all of the great advice. Yes we are camping at Trailer Village at the South Rim and already have resevations. Wouldn't we need to have a reservation to camp at Zion though?

Heidi