Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Has anyone stayed at the Riverside Tower or Grand Union?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 08:19 AM
Aileen

We're looking for clean, safe accomadation. We also don't want to spend a great ammount. I was wondering if anyone had stayed at the above properties. They were listed with HotelKingdom.com
The Ramada Milford and Malibu were also listed.
Thanks

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 08:27 AM
Some Help

What state are you talking about?

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 09:12 AM
Owe O'Neill

I presume this is NYC. The Grand Union is close to the Herald Square Hotel and also the Wolcott. It's presentable enough on the outside and has a very nice lobby. I asked an exiting guest their opinion and they described it as clean and comfortable but very basic and a very small room. This is typical in such a price range (under $130). The Ramada Milford is also known as the Milford Plaza and it gets consistently horrible reviews on this forum. I have heard from a NYC hotel industry friend that this is widespread knowledge about the Milford in the industry. Better reviews have appeared about the Edison, also in that general price range or a few $$ higher. I stayed at Radio City Apartments a few summer ago before moving to this area and was very pleased with the cost/value ratio. The decor is outdated and worn - brings to mind a 70's era Travel Lodge or something of that ilk, but it was clean, comfortable quiet, had a reasonable sized room and was in an ideal location on 49th Street just a few blocks east of the Theatre district.

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 09:22 AM
Caitlin

Malibu Studios is probably not what you're looking for, though it's clean and safe (and very cheap). The rooms are the size of walk-in closets (literally, there's barely room to put a suitcase), the bathrooms are shared, and there are no amenities--no phones, no TVs, no towels. It's just a step up from a hostel.

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 10:00 AM
Aileen

Yes I meant New York City...sorry, I should have been more clear.
Thanks for the info. I'm not really bothered if it's small, but clean and safe and with our own bathroom.