Reload this Page >

Has anyone stayed at King George in San Francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2000, 07:07 AM
Sheila

I made my reservations at King George on Mason @ Geary finally after a long search of booked up hotels. Has anyone stayed here before that can offer information? Also I would love recommendations for restaurants not to be missed. We have tickets for alcatraz and are planning a tour of Napa Valley. This is my first trip to San Francisco so I would appreciate any advise. Also is there a place to buy theatre tickets at a good price the day of the show? Thanks

Old Sep 22nd, 2000, 08:55 PM
deke

There's a 1/2 price tickets booth in Union Square. Usually has some good offerings (a few topline shows plus cabaret, small theater groups, and dance events). I think it opens at 11. Cash only for those half-price tix.

King George is nice, nothing great but good for the price, in pricey Sf.

Some good restaurants: E&O trading co. for a reasonably priced asian-fusion lunch. harbor village in the embarcadero 4 for good dim sum.

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 05:25 PM
cherie

I stayed ther last March because my meeting hotel was booked. Would much rather have stayed at the Hilton in the very next block. The room was TINY and depressing and overlooked walls and airconditiong units. The closet was so tiny that I had to hand my clothes on the closet doors which covered the TV. I could touch my toes to the restroom without vacating the bed. No thanks. The staff was somewhat tough-appearing but nice. Oh yeah, the elevator worked-sometimes. Have you tried the Chancellor up the hill on Powell? It was small but the rooms were nicer. And sometimes you can get a good rate at the Sheraton Palace.

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 11:35 AM
Josh

My wife and I just stayed at the King George this past August. Overall we were pleased. The location is great and the service is excelelnt. For the two of us, the size of the room was fine, and the hotel had complimentary gym mmbereship to 2 excellenet gyms (1 with a pool) right up the street. The only down note was that the walls were a bit thin, and for some reason at night the heat came up. I would also note that the hotel is in the theater district, and that area was a little too touristy for me - - when we go back, I think we would likely try to stay in North Beach atthe Hotel Boheme. However, I don't think you will be unhappy with the King george - - on the whoole you make out well. One final note - - be careful with budget hotels - someare in the Tenderloin, which is seedy and not where you want to be.

Old Oct 3rd, 2000, 07:30 AM
Sheila

I am going to keep my reservations at the King George this time as reservations have been hard to find for the upcoming weekend. I will report back next week. I have my tickets for Beach Blanket Babylon and Alcatraz. If anyone has restaurant recommendations, please let me know. Thanks for everyone's advise.

Old Oct 3rd, 2000, 07:46 AM
Melissa

Sheila
We went to a great Blues club when we were there in April last year. I think it was called something like Biscuits & Blues and was very close to Union Sq. The music and atmosphere was great and so was the food. I would highly recommend a visit.

Old Oct 3rd, 2000, 11:34 AM
Tom

Will you be there on a Sunday afternoon? If yes, stop by the Cafe Trieste in North Beach. A great Italian coffee house / cafe with a not to be missed "open mike" of family and neighbors singing the afternoon away.