Reload this Page >

Anchorage in March-what to wear?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 09:43 PM
Erin

I am going to spend a week in Anchorage, Alaska in March. I live in Atlanta, GA, so obviously, most of my wardrobe is centered around staying cool in the heat. Should I spend lots of money on a really thick winter coat that I may never need again, or a thinner waterproof coat and wear lots of layers underneath? I will also need warm, waterproof boots and pants. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks!

Old Oct 3rd, 2000, 11:17 AM
GOL

Cold. Snow. It will most likely be below freezing. Last March Temp.s in Anchorage: mean/hi/lo were 6/15/-6, 18/24/5 and 34/44/24 on 3 random dates.
source: wundergound.com

Sunrise / Sunset
3/1 - 8:01 / 6:22
3/15 - 7:17 / 6:59
3/30 - 6:30 / 7:38
source: sunrisesunset.com

I assume you won't spend all your time in Anchorage. Don't spend lots of money, wait for the late winter sales. Where else will you go in the state?

Old Oct 3rd, 2000, 12:30 PM
michelle

Erin, I'm here in Anchorage. Think about footwear, as there will probably be slushy snow on the ground. March is not exactly the prettiest time of year to come, but it will still be nice. I'm also going to assume you will not spend all your time in Anchorage. Bring a few fleece layers, a good windbreaker(gortex shell) and jeans. If you need something else there's an REI and Nordstroms here so you can buy whatever you need. Buying a big winter coat for March is probably unnecessary. A nice fleece jkt with a sweater will probaly suit you fine.