Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Has anyone ever eaten at Scoma's in San Francisco?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2000, 12:18 PM
Patrick

Curious about any experiences had at this restaurant.

Old Sep 6th, 2000, 12:46 PM
Janice

We ate at Scoma's in 1998 on the recommendation of manager's of our accommodation. Way too touristy for me and EXPENSIVE for uninspired large portions of seafood. I had crab on linguine (swimming in butter (I hope). There are really so many other restaurants in S.F. that are so much better. This year we ate at Rose Pistola on Columbus in North Beach and 3 of the 4 of us had fish (done different ways) and everyone thought their meal was really good and interestingly prepared (Ligurian Italian, so I read later). We all shared appetizers (fava bean salad, grilled prawns, chopped salad) and they were all very good.

Old Sep 6th, 2000, 12:47 PM
Dungeness Crab

Sure, several times at the original and once at the Scoma's on the boat in Sausalito (the most recent experience was a few years ago, though). I remember it as being good but not great, somewhat crowded, a bit noisy, and seemingly catering more to tourists than locals. I'd liken it somewhat to Anthony's Pier IV in Boston. I suppose if one really wants to dine right on the water it's a reasonable choice - but there are so many better restaurants in San Francisco.

Old Sep 6th, 2000, 06:28 PM
Sal

There is a restaurant we enjoy on the water in SF. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the exact name. It's something like McCormick & ?. I do remember that it is in Ghiradelli Square and we always have a good meal with a great view of the Wharf. Maybe someone can recall the name from this description.

Old Sep 6th, 2000, 07:05 PM
Susan

It's McCormick & Schmicks (SP?) Very good food. One just opened here in Chicago, also on the water, but I didn't find it comparable to the quality of the one in SF.

Old Sep 6th, 2000, 07:11 PM
Susan

I take it back -- I think the one here in Chicago is Smith & Wollenski's.

No wonder it didn't compare!

Old Sep 7th, 2000, 10:47 AM
Barb

The Ghiradelli Square restaurant is McCormick & Kuleto's. I haven't been there, but it gets excellent reviews and is more of a beautiful setting than Scomas. However, I like Scomas, was just there last weekend and my husband had an excellent fresh Halibut filet with garlic mashed potatoes. The meals generally come with pasta and fresh steamed vegetables. I had a crab louie that had a very generous portion of crab. They do not take reservations so the wait can be a hassle. In the wharf area, I would stick with those 2 restaurants. The other seafood places are exceptionally touristy and mediocre.

Old Sep 7th, 2000, 09:09 PM
Don'tBotherWith

Reasons to eat at Scomas:

1. You like to sit and stand around with dozens of others for an empty table (they don't take reservations).
2. You like noisy crowds while dining.
3. You like average food that is overpriced.
4. You are a tourist and don't know any better.
5. You don't know to come to Fodor's and get better recommendatins.

Have a great time in San Francisco; it's a fun place!

Old Sep 18th, 2000, 11:06 AM
opinion

Don't bother eating there - way too touristy. Excellent nearby restaurants: Emma's - restaurant in the same building as the San Remo hotel on Mason (corner Chestnut I think). Also ate at Rose Pistola on Columbus - excellent.Rught across the street is Osteria Del Forno - also very good. Good luck!

Old Sep 18th, 2000, 11:41 AM
kam

My recommendation at Fisherman's Wharf would be Alioto's, although they are all very touristy. McCormick and Kuleto's is very good in Ghirardelli Square, Aqua is tops, and the Hayes Street Grill has great seafood and French fries not to be missed! Try looking at sfgate.com for others, but I wouldn't recommend Scoma's.

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 06:33 PM
Kev

Forget Scoma's.

Old Mar 21st, 2004, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Friends who live in the area have suggested meeting us at Scoma's when we visit SF. Both families have two teens. Is there another restaurant with similar atmosphere but better food that you would recommend? A place that offers reservations would be a plus! Should we suggest Alioto's or McCormick's?
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 09:23 AM

What an interesting post. It shows one of the benefits of registration. In the old days anyone could have used the same name. Now I am the ONLY "Patrick" posting here, but I'm sure this three and a half year old post wasn't mine, especially since on September 6, 2000 I was in Montpelier, France!
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 09:25 AM

I think you need to look at some comments that are more current. Your post was on a 3 plus year old thread.

Touristy place near Fisherman's Wharf with great views is The Mandarin. You are in SF and chinese is very appropriate. Not the greatest chinese but it is still very popular.

I'd google Scomas for current comments as well. Maybe Chowhound. Chowhound site has its own google search engine for its site.

LMF
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 11:19 AM

A friend of mine went to Scoma's last week with a family of seven. She says: "Forget Scoma's".

Guess the message hasn't changed in three years!

I'd suggest forgetting eating at Fisherman's Wharf altogether and go "around the block" to North Beach and all those wonderful Italian restaurants!

Otherwise, for seafood, all the teens (and adults too!) would love Farallon's, which is in the Union Square area. Expensive, but probably not that much more than Scoma's.
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 05:21 PM

OMG Scomas....I havent been there in ages but we had such a great experience...I know some people think its touristy and expensive but personally hello!!!! SF is a tourist area and everything is expensive lol...however, we had a great time and the waiter kept coming over to us asking us if we wanted more cheese...like every 3 min or so he was trying to give us cheese...said it put hair on your chest...dunno about that but anybody who gives u more than a spoonful is ok in my book hehe

Lynn
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 05:36 PM

No Scoma's,Aliotos & Mc Cormicks. ET has a good idea about North Beach-you might like Rose Pistola Dreamer. Or perhaps I Fratelli
at Hyde and Green?
Italian, cable cars, great SF 'hood!
R5