Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Has anyone else found the Zagat suggested $$ pp misleading?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 07:53 AM
Ellen

No matter how much they put, my bill is always at least $20 more per person. It is embarrasing when you quote a price to a guest and it ends up being way more than you said. Example: Les Halles Steakhouse. In Zagats for $42 pp, including 1 drink. Apps start at $7, entrees are in the $17 to $30 range. Desserts $7. Coffee $3. If you order the cheapest entree on the menu (chicken, not steak), with tax and tip, it comes to $42, without a drink. Add in 2 glasses of wine and you are way over the top. Oh, and of course this is ala carte. Veggies & potatoes are extra. Of course you could stick to a burger, and then their pricing would be accurate. Anyone else finding this?

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 08:21 AM
Frank

Ellen: I fully agree! I gave up on Zagat's prices years ago. The reviews are useful but the prices are a joke. Of course the actual prices at the restaurants are even more laughable.

I find that in Manhattan you have to search out the deals and believe me they are out there. Had lunch at Shun Lee Palace for $10 a person during their anniversary celebration this past winter, ate at the grand opening of Guastavinos for 50% off. Le Bernardin is frequently on Idine dining discounts at 20% off, ditto the 21 Club. The Times Card offers a similar program of 20% discounts at many Manhattan restaurants, including An American Place, Mr. K's, Cocco Pazzo, Le Madri, Alfredo's of Rome, Nirvana, Sardi's, Shaan, Tuscan Square, Merchants, etc. You have to beat them at their own game and take advantage of the deals as they become available.

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 08:40 AM
m

i have also been dissappointed with many of their very high rated restaurants (23+). They tend to be trendy, 'in' places that are almost impossible to get reservations and when you finally do, it's not worth the trouble or $$.

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 11:26 AM
Tom

Not only the price differences, but do they ever rate any restaurant as poor?

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 01:24 PM
Howard

In answer to Tom, Zagat's does report when a restaurant has gotten mixed reviews. However, it does not include restaurants that most reviewers criticize. Like most published rating organizations, they undoubtedly feel that they shouldn't waste the space with places that they do not recommend!

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 04:18 PM
charles

Zagats used to have very good reviews. It was the greatest restaurant guide ever. Now, it's almost completely hit or miss, which is to say unreliable, which is to say useless for anything but addresses and phone numbers.

Their prices, however, have always been wrong. Around $20 under is reasonable for the expensive ones, but I'd express it as a % - they are usually a third under.

Hopefully another guide will come along and replace it.

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 06:09 PM
Elizabeth

This is interesting. I am sure you are right. I haven't checked. I use the book for finding places of the type or location I want, and realize I use the $$ business in a relative kind of way. I also do value the write-ups, I find that using a small number of words they clue me in on the essence of the place.

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 07:04 PM
Donna

I've found Zagat's $$ to be accurate most of the time. You must take into account that highly rated Zagat's establishments are often, SOMETIMES, receive the benefit of incredibly increased business, whereupon the prices go up accordingly (often with substantial "attitude" and suffering friendliness, service, and quality of food and presentation).