Hostess gifts - given or received

Oct 10th, 2001, 11:52 AM
Frank Bithell

Hostess gifts - given or received

We are from England and are soon to visit friends in USA. To help us choose thoughtful gifts for our host/hostess we would like to have replies that give suggestions or recall memorable successes.

Oct 10th, 2001, 12:02 PM
kam

A friend once brought me several good English detective novels. Maybe teas that are unusual and not available here in the U.S. It's not easy! Just visited good friends and brought them California wine and a piece of studio glass made here in the Bay area. How about a rare vintage Port or Madiera or a very unusual Scotch whisky or something antique from the Silver Vaults. Pretty old china egg cups are very hard to come by here.

Oct 10th, 2001, 12:30 PM
Merilee

First let me say I always enjoy visiting your country...that said here are my suggestions...if they like to drink tea I recommend tea from Fortnum & Mason (Royal Blend is great) and/or Harrod's also...These two stores also have the nicest mini specialty cakes packed in secure containers...the ones I bought made it home...There's a book store across the street from Fortnum & Mason ( I just can't recall it at this moment) that has (or did have) cookbooks that aren't available here...One of the other items I brought home that my friends and family loved getting were bottles of Babycham - the sparkling cider...I have also brought home Christmas "poppers" that I bought at "Woolies" and everyone loved them also...I know you can buy poppers here but these were different and everyone liked seeing the Woolworth's label again...and finally you have some great glossy women's magazines that come with free gifts that my friends loved - such as Red...there are some newsstands in New York City that sell them but at about three times the price.

Oct 10th, 2001, 01:11 PM
Calif Girl

It is really hard to get Bitter Lemon bottles here on the WC. I would like a nice, chilled bottle as a hostess gift.
Why don't you come over to my place for dinner?

Oct 10th, 2001, 02:29 PM
xxx

One store that we don't have over here in the US that I absolutely love is Lush. I think an assortment of bath items from this store would be a very welcome gift by any host or hostess.

Oct 10th, 2001, 05:55 PM
KT

Depends upon the recipients and your price range of course, but I've had good reactions to bringing back Bendicks chocolates, the nicer variety of linen tea towels, and preserves.

Oct 10th, 2001, 07:05 PM
Monique

If you were coming to visit me I know I would like some nice english handsoaps.
Would you like to see California?

Oct 10th, 2001, 07:44 PM
Calif Girl

Hey, the Bithells are going to visit me in Calif. and bring me some nice bitter lemon, aren't you?

Oct 11th, 2001, 02:22 PM
Frank Bithell

Many thanks for all the suggestions. Please keep them coming - we haven't yet seen one that is just right for us, although the old egg cups are quite appealing.
Now, about this bitter lemon squeeze. Fear not Calif girl, we would love to visit both you and Monique. And we'll bring the desired gifts! Unfortunately, the visit cannot be this trip, but how about next year?

Oct 11th, 2001, 02:28 PM
Calif. Girl

You're on Frank. Keep us posted. Really we could meet up in a restaurant here in LA.
But for this trip, how about bone china tea cups? Or a genuine Brown Betty tea pot? Or egg cup or tea cozies?

Oct 11th, 2001, 02:55 PM
Monique

Plenty of room at my house!!! I have loved all the Brits I met on my travels!!!

Oct 11th, 2001, 02:56 PM
mimi taylor

well Frank if you were visiting me, I would like a nice item, bag or scarf from Liberty's. If you were rich you would buy me a barbour jacket, but as a reader, I'd make due with some of the wonderful books that are not here yet.

Oct 11th, 2001, 10:57 PM
Cali

My brother-in-law is British and when he and my sister come to visit they often bring Thornton's Chocolates and we all look forward to them. YUM!!