Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Has anyone eaten at Churrascaria Plataforma?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The address is 316 W 49th St 10019
Between 8th & 9th Ave

We are thinking of eating there when we go to NYC. I hope we are alowed to ask these questions... we are fairly new to Fodor's.

It got good reviews on www.menupages.com but I just thought I would ask.

Thanks!
Jen
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

It was supposed to do the New York: thing but left it off

This is a restaurant in NYC.

Sorry for any confusion.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 11:43 AM

You would enjoy this review

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic..._New_York.html
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 11:45 AM

No personal experience, but I have a friend who recently ate there and loved it.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 11:51 AM

I ate there last year, and it's pretty good for such a high-volume restaurant. If you are really hungry, like a lot of red meat, and are with a group it could be idea. However, it's kind of loud and crazy, and I find it a bit expensive. If you just want a decent steak, for example, you can do better.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 12:01 PM

Hey Doug,

Pencil in October 22nd on your calendar for the NJ/NY Fodors GTG, and bring some of the other Fodor folks with you.

And some Fodor Pins -- Don't forget the Fodor Pins.

Sorry, didn't mean to hi-jack your thread.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 12:13 PM

We went there over the last Christmas holiday -- that was a mistake. We felt very rushed. And our conversation was constantly interrupted, not by the servers (expected them to come around with the food), but by the host, who wanted to know if we needed anything else after about 45 minutes. That was just plain rude.

If you go, wait for the better cuts of meat, which are served later in the rotation. I waited forever for the salmon, and when if finally came, it was dry and looked like it had been sitting around for a while.

As I said, it was during the holiday -- but I wouldn't go back.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 12:13 PM

I have eaten there a number of times. It is especially fun with a group, and if you go with a healthy appetite. If you've done a bit of reading you probably know the basic program: they put a disk at each place setting, red side down. You can visit an expansive buffet table/salad bar, which has quite an extraordinary array of both hot and cold items. One could legitimately make a meal from one finds here. When done at the "salad" bar, you can return to your table, flip your disk to the green side, and a parade of meats comes your way. Side dishes and condiments are provided, but the meat is quite the main event. You may wish to enjoy a "capirinha" or two, a sweet/sour, fairly potent cocktail made with Brazilian sugar cane liquor, cachaca. The cost of the drinks can add up, but the meats keep coming until you flip your disk back over to red. Desserts are also extra and may well be superfluous. While not inexpensive, it is by no means a bad deal and is a festive, enjoyable dinner destination.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 12:54 PM

The best way to describe it is a massive food orgy. You receive a coaster with a green side and a red side -- green side up means keep the food coming.

It is best with a group, in my opinion.

Enjoy!
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 01:05 PM

As always I agree with Gekko.
Budman,How do we find out about the GTG.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 01:37 PM

I ate at one of these in Dallas with my two girlfriends. We had a blast only because we ordered everything thinking it was all inclusive and built up quite a tab. We were asked if we wanted a dessert licor and of course we did. Thinking it was included in the price, we did not inquire as to the price. It ended up costing $20. a swallow. My friend told me I had better drink it all and if I spilt any to lick the tablecloth. Indeed we had a great laugh. Same story with the desserts; we thought it was included and ordered some of each. Now we understand the looks on the waiters faces. I did not like how the waiters hovered over us. And another thing: they start with their cheapest cuts of meat and we were full and did not get to enjoy the top of the line fillet. Strategy I think. If you go, ask for certain meats up front. You have that priviledge. But know that the drinks and desserts are not included in the price. Have fun!
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 02:40 PM

I ate there about 2 weeks ago and daughter and I absolutely loved it. It's about $50 per person. Well worth it, IMHO. The food amazing, the service just right. We did not feel rushed at all. The salad bar had so much variety - from sushi, to tomatoes/mozzarella, cold salads, warm cod salad...I could go on and on. The meat was made to perfection. I'd go back again in a heartbeat.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 05:44 PM

cindymal, it will be announced sometime around mid-september on this board and the Europe board.

For more info, e-mail Trish at:

tpatricco at cfioffice dot com
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 07:05 PM

Do they have a menu for kids? We want to go with a group but we have an 8 yr old boy and he cannot eat $50 worth of food. Does anyone know what they have for little kids?
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 09:50 PM

Perhaps call or check the website?

www.churrascariaplataforma.com
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 12:04 PM

You should call them and ask; the web site does not discuss this issue. Although this is a fun place if you are a huge eater, the food is not first-rate in my opinion, just pretty good.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 12:38 PM

I recommend eating there at lunch, which is much cheaper. The food is the same, they just leave a few things which I didn't care about off the salad bar. It is a lot of fun and the food is pretty good. I was just a little disappointed in the salmon as it was too dry.