Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Has anyone done the Las Vegas helicopter tour to the Grand Canyon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, guys! Has anyone done one of the Las Vegas helicopter tours to the Grand Canyon? Any particularly good or bad experiences? Companies you would recommend? Thanks for any guidance you can give me. We don't have much time to drive, but we would love to see the GC.
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 11:32 AM

Those tours do not go over the Grand Canyon National Park. They go over an area to the west, outside the park boundary.
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 11:48 AM

yes, the rangers told us no helicopters (or hot air baloons) are allowed to fly over the grand canyon and the dam areas.
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

I was looking at Maverick Helicopters and Sundance Helicopters. They say they fly right over the dam and land in the Grand Canyon - they seem to get good reviews.
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 12:33 PM

The land in the west part of the canyon, but not in the Grand Canyon National Park.
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 12:36 PM

This may be the tour you are talking about ... http://www.maverickhelicopter.com/to...er-sunset.aspx ... it says they land on the Hualapai Indian Reservation, bordering the west end of the Grand Canyon ("Maverick Helicopters will descend and land 3,500 feet into the Grand Canyon in Hualapai Indian Territory for an extended landing time."

Should be OK, but the tours that fly out of Tusayan, just south of the main visitor center, cost about half as much and will fly over a more scenic part of the canyon (in case you are going to that area), though they don't land.

the rangers told us no helicopters (or hot air baloons) are allowed to fly over the grand canyon

Actually there are a small number of corridors set aside for flights into and over various parts of the Grand Canyon, some for choppers and some for small planes. But none for hot air balloons.
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

That's okay by me. We had friends that did it and loved it.
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 02:34 PM

I actually would like to do the Hualapai Indian reservation area. Let us know how it turns out.
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Bill, thanks for the great info.!
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 03:35 PM

Bill, thanks for the great info

Thanks volcanogirl!

Just to clear it up a bit, the Hualapai reservation borders the south side of the river from about river mile 164 to mile 272, roughly a million acres. They are trying to generate tourist revenue with things like the Skywalk, short river trips beginning at Diamond Creek (river mile 225), etc, and they have a spot on the river where they can land choppers to pick up rafters, which I assume is where volcanogirl's tour would land.

So technically you would be *in* the Grand Canyon but not in Grand Canyon National Park, which would be right there on the other side of the river.

Sounds like a nice day trip from Vegas.

I actually would like to do the Hualapai Indian reservation area.

Maria, I'm guessing you mean the Havasupai reservation, which is just to the east of the Hualapai reservation. The Havasupai have the famous beautiful waterfalls and terraced pools of blue-green waters, and a campground you can hike in to.

The Hualapai were not as blessed by nature, lacking something comparable to Havasu Creek. This Hualapai rez chopper trip sounds OK and the short river trips from Diamond Creek are OK, but the Skywalk and its complex are generally considered the biggest tourist trap in Arizona.
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 04:17 PM

Oh, yep, that's the one I meant with the waterfalls. I guess to go to that won't be as easy as the helicopter ride. Thanks Bill!
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Maverick - if we go in the a.m., is breakfast served, or would you recommend we eat beforehand? I read something about snacks and champagne being served but don't know the details.