HARD-CORE ROAD TRIP

Old May 6th, 1999, 06:56 AM
Daniel Lee

HARD-CORE ROAD TRIP

hey everybody,

ok, my bad-ass road trip has now become a hard-core road trip. we have 2 weeks and my friend and i are going to drive from chicago to yosemite, spend 3 nights there, do the half dome trek, and explore it to death. then we are going to make our way over to the grand canyon for 3 days and explore that.

however, i had some questions about the canyon.

how close is the mather campground in the south rim to rugged hiking trails? is it within walking distance?

also, what is the weather going to be like in early june? will it be warm in the day and cold at night?

daniel

Old May 6th, 1999, 08:42 AM
Ruth

Grand Canyon weather:

HOT in day. Chilly at night. Especially hot down IN the canyon. Expect 100 degrees. Count on one gallon of water per person per day. Bring purifying tabs or 2 drops of Clorox per gallon to purify. Don't drink from streams. Wild burros contaminate them. Count on only hiking about 7-8 miles per day. Very unstable shale is some places.

Hope this helps. Have fun. Grand Canyon is a special place. You might consider the north rim instead of south. Cooler and less crowded.

Old May 6th, 1999, 09:26 AM
Daniel Lee

so is it reasonable to walk from mather campground to the hiking trails?

dan

ps more info! must have more info!!!!!

Old May 6th, 1999, 11:09 AM
Paul Rabe

Want ALL AVAILABLE info on the Grand Canyon? Go to www.kaibab.org and/or www.nps.gov/grca For a map showing location of Mather Campground relative to trails, go to www.kaibab.org/maps/gc_west.htm

Old May 6th, 1999, 11:26 AM
hottubjohnny

For a REAL hardcore trip there is an outfit about two miles from the grand-canyon gateway that specializes in super endurance gigs. The name is shady micks tours. For only two hundred bucks they will strip you down, and leave you in an enclosed 800 acre ranch to see if you can survive.

Old May 6th, 1999, 12:47 PM
daniel

hey hottubjohnny,

exactly how much do they strip you down? are you running around on this ranch naked?

and do you have to hunt for your food?

and find your own water source?

daniel

Old May 7th, 1999, 08:16 AM
Daniel Lee

hey guys:

OK, i wanna hike the bright angel trail, or the south kaibab trail. we will be walking from the mather campground.

is it possible to make it to the colorado river and back in one day, or is that absolute murder? is it safer on the bright angel trail because it has shade and water? can anyone back this?

danny boy

Old May 7th, 1999, 03:48 PM
Ruth (again)

Danny,

It will take you a whole day to get down to the river.
A whole day back up.

Old May 7th, 1999, 03:51 PM
Ruth

Shade on Bright Angel?

Old May 8th, 1999, 03:34 AM
jr

yes, you can hike from the campground to the trailheads. or if you get a later start, you can even ride a tram/bus from the c.g.

a round trip would be killer..it could be done, but why ?? IF you decide to do it, go down the s kaibab, then up the bright angel. DO NOT go up the s kai in the heat of the day (it's shorter, but steeper, and as you said, NO WATER !!)

a good walk is down the bright a, out to plateau point (you can see the inner canyon) then back up.

Old May 13th, 1999, 05:55 PM
daniel

i want to do the round trip because it's possible. i prefer to do endurance-type stuff and not juts touristy stuff.

anyway, i want to do it. hike down to the river and back. so, down the kaibab and up the bright angel?

daniel