Hapuna Prince Hotel - stuffy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found a great deal on Hotwire for the Hapuna Prince Hotel. Frommer's (dare I mention that name on this board? ) mentions that it is a bit "formal" meaning hotel guests tend to dress up in the while in public areas. Is this true?

While my wife and I don't mind dressing up for nice dinners, on our vacations the last thing we want to do is dress up like we're going to work every day. Flip flops and t-shirt/shorts are definitely the planned daytime attire for the extent of our trip. Your experiences would be most helpful in making our decision. thx.
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 05:49 PM

The hotel was designed for and still caters primarily to Asian guests. The architecture has a Japanese flavor to it--clean, simple lines and uncluttered open interior spaces. Lots of rectangular design elements.
And, yes, les of a Hawaiian flavor than you might expect.
BUT: no one will sneer at you for being casual, wearing flip flops, walking through the lobby in swimwear etc. It's still Hawaii and laid back is still the overriding attitude.
Even at the Four Seasons and Ritz no one will frown on casual attire and casual attitude (during daylight hours). Of course at night you'd be better off not standing outside the upscale restaurant dripping ocean water from your swim suit wearing swim fins and a snorkel mask.
But you get the idea.
During normal hours of daytime activity there is no snobby attitude at the hotels mentioned above.
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 06:05 PM

I concur with the poster above. We were very casual the whole time and not the only ones. We really enjoyed our stay would like to go back. I'm curious, what was the rate you found?
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 03:54 AM

We spent 5 nights at the Hapuna in February while my husband attended a conference. I would never say that the hotel was stuffy or formal in the least! Yes, the staff was very attentive and professional but they were all very friendly and helpful. Yes, the hotel has a very modern kind of massive but open look to the architecture but it is not reflected in the attitude of the staff or guests. The comment about catering to asian clientele is surprising to me, that was not something I noticed at all. Clients seemed to be the usual mix of multi-racial, families and business types, honeymooners, etc... and everybody seemed to be having a fabulous time. The concierge was recommending fancy restaurants to couples without kids and then showing a family with young kids maps of beaches.

The only time my husband and I felt improperly dressed walking through the lobby was when we returned from a hike literally covered in mud and soaking wet holding our shoes and just trying to get to our room as quickly as possible!

Maria

Have a great trip!

Maria

Old Apr 25th, 2003, 04:06 AM

Hi Tucker74,

Being that you found the deal on Hotwire, I was curious how you were able to know for sure it was the Hapuna Prince? Is it the only 4-star hotel in the area or something?

Curious as to the price also, as I am exploring Big Island hotels for a September vacation.

Thanks for your info!
reemoe