Search

Hapuna Heartbreak

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2004, 11:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hapuna Heartbreak

Last night while making plans for an upcoming trip, I came across this article on Hapuna Beach -- which readers of the Hawaii Island Journal voted as the "Best Example of a Mismanaged/Neglected Park".

Some of Mr. McNarie's observations are a genuine indictment of Hawaii's state government, private industry and, unfortunately, of some Hawaiian locals who feel it necessary to perpetually vandalize this area.

I mean, how much money and effort would it take to restore and maintain these few A-frames, and give people who don't have hundreds of dollars a night to spend on accomodations a decent place to share in Hapuna's beauty? How many millions of dollars does the Mauna Kea/Hapuna Beach Prince make every year -- apparently not enough to help pick up the garbage and find homes for the area's ferrel cats.

It's just plain sad.
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 12:01 AM
Original Poster

http://www.hawaiiislandjournal.com/stories/7a03a.html
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 07:04 AM

Just about every resort I've visited in Hawaii (including Molokai) has been plagued by feral cats. It's really heartbreaking. I agree, I wish there was some type of government run program to take care of the animals. Many of them are tame. Perhaps there is one and I just don't know about it? But there are just so many.....
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 11:13 AM

We're staying at the Hapuna Prince next Sept and are sad to read that article. What can ya do?! Thanks for sharing it, though.

STeve
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 09:58 PM

It takes people like YOU to make a difference! Hawaii is basically a 3rd world state in many ways, sad to say. Outside the frou frou resorts on all the islands and sometimes in them, you will see feral cats, starving, rats, mongoose and all kinds of "introduced" pesky insects. After over 20 years of writing to their local newspapers and animal causes on my part, it seems little has been done to resolve these issues. My suggestion is to observe closely what is going on at your hotel and report any concerns to the general manager, but follow up with letters to the local animal shelter and newspapers like the HONOLULU ADVERTISER. This is the only way to solve these problems that are running amuck! Pets with proper documentation and medical requirements can easily be moved to Hawaii with the new agriculture laws, but spay and neuter requirements are not included. Rabies vaccinations are priority but birth control is not a priority in spite of feral animal issues.Hawaii needs everyone's advice and help on this issue. Mahalo!
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 12:47 AM
Original Poster

Deloris: As you pointed out, Hapuna is by no means the only area in Hawaii with these same problems. E.g. I was close to tears several years ago when I first saw South Point, and encountered the tons upon tons of garbage simply dumped in an area of pristine and almost prehistoric beauty. What made it especially hard to take was the nature of this garbage: old tires, rusted appliances, bleach bottles etc. It was obviously dumped there by locals, not tourists. How on Earth will the problem ever improve, as long as Hawaii's own residents don't care about it? Are tourists and others from outside the state supposed to impose their will upon Hawaii's locals?

I think Alan McNarie put his finger on the exact solution -- it's simply a matter of priority and will:

"But to keep those repairs from falling to pieces again, to restore the fish and keep the park clean, would require something more profound: a shifting of priorities, a recognition of something valuable that needs to be kept and cherished. Despite the neglect and decay, Hapuna is still a magical place. It would be worth the effort to keep it."

Hawaii's state tax is only 4% -- would it kill anyone to raise it a percent or two and address these shameful environmental issues?
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 10:00 PM

As I just said..WRITE..WRITE.. WRITE!!!
Hit all the newspapers Hawaii side and mainland side and the travel magazines as well!! Couldn't believe calling to some Molokai locals who left a couple disposable diapers on the beach a few years ago while they strolled off! "This is YOUR BEACH!" They gave us a CENSORED reply and since they were big kahunas, my husband told me to "cool it" as we picked up their trash and put it in the "proper recepticals." Hawaii is very 3rd world and it is important to remember that when you leave the manicured resorts.
Sorry..truth!
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 01:12 AM

Please support the no kill shelters.
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 02:20 PM

I have read more than one article about Hapuna Beach Park, as well as other "poorly maintained" parks in Hawaii. However, after 2 trips there, I have to say I saw more evidence of well maintained, extremely clean public restrooms in the middle of no where parks than in any other state I have ever been in.

Feral animals are, unfortunately due to human neglect, every where. The absolutely worst place I ever saw for neglected dogs was in Italy at Pompei.

I think we need to be very careful to look at home before we cast stones in Hawaii.

And kudos to islandmom for No Kill Shelters.

I will be at Hapuna Beach Prince in Jan for the 3rd time and this time I will suggest a "donation box" at their desk for the local shelter and see how they react.