Handicap Equipped Hotels - DC

Dec 27th, 2002, 12:09 PM
Kristen

Handicap Equipped Hotels - DC

My father in-law will be here in May and is in an electric wheelchair. Our doorways are too narrow to accomodate him, so we're on the lookout for a hotel.

Can anyone recommend a handicap equipped (not accessible - we need the fully eqiupped rooms) hotel in the NW area?

Dec 27th, 2002, 12:21 PM
x

Go to Google and do a search for Handicap Accessable Hotel Rooms or ADA Hotel Rooms in Washington DC. Most of the major chains will be in compliance.

Dec 27th, 2002, 01:13 PM
ADA

If you know of a hotel which does not comply to the Americans with Disablities Act (ADA) you have an obligation to to report it to the hotel and to local legislators. They must comply or they are brecking the law.

Dec 27th, 2002, 01:20 PM
help

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/washingtondc/0035030006.html

lists resources for travelers with diabilities in DC. There is a phone number given, 202/789-7093 ,
for the Washington, D.C. Convention and Tourism Corporation list of accessible hotels, etc. Gives other contact info for information about sights in the area

Dec 27th, 2002, 03:18 PM
Woeisme

When I look for help I look for HELP not a means of reporting any hotel for not being in total compliance with the brecking laws.

Some people ought to stay off these sites....

Dec 27th, 2002, 06:23 PM
lisa

Kristen
It's good you are asking now, as you have time to find out what you need to know.
In spite of any recommendations you get, go check out the hotel and room yourself. My father was in a wheelchair 25 years, and there were often surprises traveling, from the airlines breaking his wheelchair to "accessible" rooms not being so accessible. My father used to joke that he had passed through some of the finest hotel kitchens in America to access his room, as lobbies were full of stairs. I'm sure things have improved a lot in the last several years.
Talk to your father-in-law about his specific requirements. (Or have your husband do that) Check to be sure the accessible door to the room and bathroom can be opened completely, eg. Noone has permanetly fixed a tv set blocking the openning. Be sure the space around the toilet works for him to transfer.
Check out what sort of hold you have on a specific or identical room, or what you need to do to guarantee it.
Other things to think about, be sure your car works for your father-in-law and his wheelchair- that he can transfer in safely. Lots of details to line up for a smooth visit, but your father-in-law should be able to help you with them, and I'm sure you will have a wonderful time.

Dec 28th, 2002, 03:13 AM
Andy

Kristen- Here are some websites that should be able to help you====

travel for the disabled

www.fhwa.dot.gov

www.access-able.com

www.jsrd.or.jp/dinf_us/disability_resources/travel.htm

www.disabilitytravel.com

www.flyingwheelstravel.com

Dec 28th, 2002, 09:47 AM
Emily

Last year, I was given a handicap equipped room at the Residence Inn in Dupont Circle. It was their last available room and I really wanted this location. The room had an extra large entrance, a huge bathroom with plenty of room for transferring and the closets had low racks that would be accessible to those confined to a chair.Hope this helps!

Dec 28th, 2002, 11:58 AM
gail

Look towards newer hotels, rather than older renovated ones - more likely to find doorway widths which will accomodate. Also, since you live in the area, if you can, take the time to visit it beforehand. While room may be accessible, there may be other problems such as restaurant/bar not accessible, limited parking if he has w/c van. Check curb cuts/ramps in entrance.

If his disability is such that he is in electric w/c, make sure bedding is something he can be assisted into as well - some hotel beds are incredibly high.

If you have difficulty finding such hotel, call Physical Therapy dept of large DC hospital and I would guess they would know exactly what type of accomodations you would need and where to find them.

Jan 4th, 2003, 06:31 PM
Kristen

Mental note...next time don't post something the day you leave for vacation!

Didn't want any of you to think I am rude - I greatly appreciate all of your suggestions. We are hoping to make this trip as easy for him as possible, and your advice really helps!

Jan 6th, 2003, 01:32 PM
Kristin

I just had a staff member in town, and she uses an electric wheelchair as well. I reserved an accessible room with roll-in shower at the Jurys Doyle Hotel on Dupont Circle (New Hampshire Ave) and she had no problems. It's also a great location, and thay had really low internet rates at the time ($69 a night).