Search

Hamptons Help?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2004, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hamptons Help?

Hello-

My husband and I and 3 mos. old baby are going to NYC in mid Sept for a work meeting and want to take a side trip to the Hamptons for a week and stay in a rental on the water. Any suggestions oh what hampton village and a 1-2 bedroom weekly rental?
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 10:06 AM

I almost feel embarrassed at answering you again quot;> but as far as I can tell, I'm one of the few regular posters with intimate knowledge of the area. So here goes.

As I mentioned before, probably the easiest and best bet is one of the motel type condos on the ocean beach in East Hampton, Amagansett or Montauk. These would include the Panoramic View and Lenhardt's in Montauk. Here is the website for the East Hampton Chamber of Commerce that lists most if not all the places from East Hampton to Montauk

http://www.easthamptonchamber.com/li...%20Inns&id=172

The Southampton Chamber of Commerce website seems to list limited b & bs and guest houses but you can have a look

http://www.southamptonchamber.com/li...t%20Rooms&id=3

The Bath and Tennis Club in Westhampton is on the beach and may have condo apts to rent. There are some motels on or across from the beach in Southampton with kitchenettes.

Finding an actual house to rent "on the water" for just a week with only one or two bedrooms will be difficult. There would be few if any of these on the ocean (most are huge mansions). There are some cottages like this in Sag Harbor (on the bay) and Noyack (part of Sag Harbor). There are also parts of East Hampton that have bay beaches.

There are many "ponds" in the area (would be considered lakes elsewhere) but they're not necessarily swimmable.

Places to look include
hreo.com (hamptons real estate online)
which will also lead you to individual brokers. You can also look at classified ads in the local papers including

danspapers.com
easthamptonstar.com
southamptonpress.com

As I said, I'm not so familiar with the Westhampton, Quogue end of things which may have more options.

Be aware that the Jewish New Year starts on Sept 16 which may mean the area will be unusually busy at that time (still not as bad as the summer). Many people with weekend homes in the area come out to celebrate the holidays.

I hope I've been somewhat helpful and have not discouraged you too much. If you post back with a budget and exactly what you mean by "on the water" I might be able to offer more ideas. The water may or may not be swimmable at that time.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 04:28 AM

I forgot to mention checking vrbo.com where you might have luck finding a privately owned house.

http://vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/reg...-york/hamptons

If you really want to do this, it never hurts to question the possibility of a weekly rental even though the website might indicate only summer months or longer minimums. You might also consider running your own ad in one of the local papers under wanted to rent.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 07:02 AM

mclaurie:

I was wondering if you were familiar with the restaurants in the Hamptons - particularly the new ones in East Hampton - Cittanuova and Tombi? I will be going there at the end of the month and wondering if anything new and worthwhile has opened. Any feedback you can give me will be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 07:37 AM

i just rented a condo last weekend on the beach in Montauk through Royal Atlantic Beach Resort. It was wonderful. The same cannot be said for their motel rooms. There is a four night minimum.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 08:02 AM

SusieQQ, so glad to hear about a good place. It's been too long since I stayed in a hotel/motel. Please tell us about your accomodation. When you say "the same is not true of their motel rooms," can you explain the difference?

SueDoc I have only read about Cittanuova. Here's a glowing review and mention that Tombi (which I hadn't heard of til your post) is also good

http://www.easthamptonstar.com/20040624/food2.htm
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 08:04 AM

Forgot to mention, SueDoc, JL (of Jean Luc in NYC and JL in EH) opened a new place in Sag Harbor called JLX.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 09:46 AM

The condos SusieQQ mentioned look wonderful but I have never been able to reserve one-I've called at the start of the season twice and they say they are booked a year in advance. SusieQQ, when did you make you reservation?

juliekenney, to stay on the water you might have to look to Montauk. The other Hampton towns do not have waterfront lodgings (Amagansett has the Ocean Dunes but they don't allow children) I love the Wavecrest-a basic motel complex-not fancy, right on the beach and you can walk up the beach to Gurney's Inn & Spa for a treatment or two.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 02:31 PM

web site royalatlantic.com

We were 17 people (including 8 kids). Some stayed in the motel which was just plain, ordinary motel rooms with kichenettes. I was with the group that stayed in the condo. It is two floors with two bedrooms and two baths on first. Second floor is spacious kitchen/living room and half bath. Balconies on each floor although first floor balcony has no view because of sand dune. Condo was lovely. It was a short walk to the village.
We booked all these a number of months ago. But certainly not a year in advance. We went out on Thursday. Most NY schools weren't out until Friday, so maybe that's why we were able to get the reservation.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 07:31 PM

a great place to stay in Montauk is the Panoramic.all the rooms face the ocean and some rooms have a full living room,deck or backyard with efficiency.