Search

Halloween in Washington DC

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Halloween in Washington DC

Hi all,

Me, my husband and 18mo old will be in Washington DC for Halloween weekend.
We wanted to do something Halloween-ish on Saturday during the day where we could all wear our costumes. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 01:25 PM

What kind of costumes? And are you wearing them any other time during the weekend, or are you going to be dragging them just to be worn during the day?
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

We are pirates, arrrrgh. and the baby is a parrot. We're dragging them just to be worn during the day! And maybe that night --- we'll see how it goes.
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 04:23 PM

I can't think of anywhere that you could take your 18 month old and also wear your costume. It sounds kinda bizarre, actually.
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 05:11 PM

Here's a link that will help you find something! Enjoy your day, wish I was you!

http://dc.about.com/b/2009/10/23/was...nd-picks-3.htm
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 07:06 PM

That sounds like so much fun, and I love the baby as a parrot!

"Boo at the Zoo" sounds perfect, but tickets are sold out. If you are interested in the zoo, you could go anyway during the day, because it will probably still be quite festive.

http://nationalzoo.si.edu/Activities...ebrations/Boo/

Be sure to get your picture taken in front of the White House in costume.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 02:52 AM
Original Poster

Excuse me, but what is bizarre about wearing a costume on Halloween?

We had to go to DC for a family event on Sunday. I wish we could stay home and do our trickortreating here. But we can't. So have to find something festive - I love Halloween!
Thanks to all the helpful people.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 03:55 AM
Original Poster

Our family is in Springfield, and we're staying in Alexandria, so any suggestions for those areas are good too. Thanks!
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 04:58 AM

check out Eastern Market
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

Ok, I just found Burke Lake Park. They have a Halloween parade around the lake and haunted train rides. Anyone been there?
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 05:33 AM

Nevah hoid of it.

I imagine Old Town Alexandria would have something also.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 05:48 AM

I was over at Springfield Mall last week and saw signs around the mall advertising trick-or-treating and kids' activities for the afternoon and early evening of Halloween. You can check their website for details.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 06:19 AM

There used be a huge Halloween presence in Georgetown. People out on the streets in costume. Some rowdiness? I haven't followed it recently. Look online for restaurants and get a reservation. Other posters can let you know about fun places in that area.

Sorry MikeT, I don't know why you think it's bizarre either.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 08:34 AM

Halloween in Gtown is essentially a place for drunk college students/early 20s. Not a place I'd want to be with an 18 month old, which is why I didn't suggest it.

I think it's bizarre that you'd pack up costumes to take on a trip, since the child isn't going to have a single memory of the experience. I think it's odd that adults like dressing up in costume, especially if it requires packing it in your bags to go visit one of the most interesting cities in the U.S.

She says she's going to be spending time in the 'burbs, so I'm sure there is some Halloween event like the one mentioned at Springfield Mall. I just wouldn't want to spend time on a weekend getaway tramping around a suburban mall in costumes. To each his own, obviously.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 09:22 AM

Georgetown Halloween is just for drunks and rowdies, the last place on earth you'd take a family, or a young child. There are always arrests and assaults, I believe.

I think Halloween is fun for kids trick or treating in their neighborhoods, but that's about it, unless you are invited to a private party. I live near Silver Spring, MD, and they have some things going on there (this is a good bet as it's sort of an outdoor mall in a way now -- on Ellsworth east of the metro and just east of Georgia Ave). Their family events are Saturday afternoon, so that should work. Silver Spring is very easy to get to, it's right on the red line metro

http://www.silverspringdowntown.com/...-silver-spring
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

FYI - We have been to Washington DC MANY times before. This is not sight-seeing trip to appreciate one of "the most interesting cities in the world". We are going for a family event. Since it is also Halloween weekend, we are going to take that opportunity to celebrate with our extended family (which includes older kids too). We plan on having a great time in costume -- BECAUSE ITS HALLOWEEN!!!

I don't really understand the need to judge WHAT we're doing, when all I asked was for information about what there is to do in DC, since Im not from the area.
MikeT I hope you don't have kids, because you're a serious grouch.

To all the helpful people, thank you.
Especially to Christina. Our family lives in the Silver Spring area, so that information was EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thanks!!
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 04:42 PM

I live in Springfield, VA., a few miles from Burke Lake park. Burke Lake park is part of the Fairfax Co. Park Authority parks, and it is wonderful. We took our kids to a few of the Fairfax county park Halloween train rides (at Lee District, another park fairly close to us) and we have been on the train at Burke Lake park (but not at Halloween). It is great fun. At the park we went to for the train ride, they did have semi-spooky characters dressed up along the train route, but it was in good fun, not really scary, as they obviously know little kids are going on the ride. I see there is also a fun run and costume contest, face painting, arts and crafts, other family activities at Burke Lake park that day. My experiences w/many Fairfax County park family holiday celebrations is that they really know how to do "fun family events" in a very good way.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 04:45 PM

BTW, there is also a nice boat ride around Burke Lake at that park that you might want to do that day.

And there is a really nice carousel also.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/burkelake/rides.htm
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

thanks so much emd3!
I thought their halloween events sounded fun -- glad to hear its such a nice park!
Old Oct 27th, 2009, 03:52 AM

The Halloween train at Burke Lake Park is fun, but it's a ways from your family in Silver Spring. Much closer would be either of these:

http://www.montgomeryparks.org/enter...abin_john.shtm

http://www.montgomeryparks.org/enter...s/wheaton.shtm

Note the Wheaton ride is the scarier one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -