Search

Half Moon Bay

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 11:43 AM
melinda

Half Moon Bay

Going to Half Moon Bay, CA on August 8th for 5 nights as my husband is in a golf tournament. Can someone suggest some good restaurants as I know the area is limited. Thank you.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 01:00 PM
Jeannie

I was in Half Moon Bay just this past Friday, and ate a late lunch at a casual spot on the Harbour. I cannot think of the name. The food was good, but the flies were terrible. There are about 7 restaurants, according to a local we talked to.
The weather was so gray and dreary that it seemed like the middle of winter. (I'm from sunny Florida). When we drove inland a few miles, the sun was shining.
The drive up the coast to San Francisco was very picturesque.
Though we only spent a few hours in Half Moon Bay, I could not imagine spending five days there. I hope you have a car and can drive to other locations. There just doesn't seem to be that much to do in Half Moon Bay.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 06:10 PM
kam

Pasta Moon and the Moss Beach Distillery are both fairly good choices. There's a new Ritz Carlton in HMB which has been getting good reviews. Haven't been to see it yet. Over east on 92 and you can be on the Peninsula. Stanford Univ. and Palo Alto is a good destination, Woodside is quiet and picturesque. A couple good restaurants there--Alice's and Bella Vista at the top of the hill on Skyline Blvd. South of HMB is Santa Cruz for some fun on the boardwalk and Bonny Doon has a winery. At the top of the "hill" from Santa Cruz is Big Basins Redwood Park--beautiful, dark and worth seeing. Either drive up or take the train from Santa Cruz. You could go all the way to Monterey, easily, for a day at the Aquarium and browsing along Cannery Row and of course, lots of restaurant selections there.

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 08:46 AM
gail

Wow! 5 nights is a long time. I would certainly take some side trips.For a casual dinner we like the HMB Brewery. Pasta Moon is great, but we really like to be on the water. It seems it is hard to get good food and a view in this area. We like the Moss Beach distillery for drinks, not really for meals. We have stayed at the Harbor House which was right at water's edge. It was very relaxing and private. There was a little place to eat one block away. I think the name may have changed, but it was very good. HMB is small. You will get to know it well. Make sure to do a Text Search as there has been discussion about it this year. You might try http://restauranteur.com/ca/halfmoonbay/index.htm for ideas too. Have a great trip!

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 01:11 PM
JJ

My freind visits her brother who lives in HMB - she always RAVES about the 'Pasta Moon'. I've also heard other people tell me how good it is...hope this helps.

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 02:51 PM
melinda

Thank you so much for all the information. I appreciate you taking the time and will take advantage of it. This forum is always so full of usefull information.

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 06:07 PM
Emily

I hate to brag, but several years ago my mother-in-law bought my husband and myself a funeral plot at the Skylawn Cemetery in Half Moon Bay. So if anybody has the right to say, "I wouldn't be caught DEAD in that place -- it might be me!"

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 12:26 PM
Shel

I agree with all posters above--you will probably want to take short day trips if the weather isn't sunny (it probably won't be--sorry). It's very easy to drive up to San Francisco for an afternoon of sightseeing, museums, or shopping. I also always find it interesting to drive around the peninsula and visit Stanford U. Palo Alto has a great downtown for wandering and good restaurants.

In HMB, we ate at a thai food restaurant that was wonderful. My guess is there's only one, so it should be easy to find.

Have a great trip!!
Shelly