Search

Hawaii Five O

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 06:25 AM
jennifer

Hawaii Five O

I live in Manhattan and don't really drive. Silly I know but I guess some persons aren't just meant to sit behind the wheel.

I am planning to go to Honolulu/Oahu sometime in September and I am just wondering how much of the island I won't be able to see because I don't drive. I know they have a good public transport system (and I loooove to walk) but I am sure buses don't go to all the nice spots. Should I just wait for a friend who can drive but will only be available the latter part of November or can I do it alone? I am very adventurous and am not afraid to ask for directions. Suggestyions would be really appreciated. Thnks guys!!

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 07:18 AM
Carol

I also from NYC and know your driving dilema (she bows here head, also without a license)went last year to Oahu and Kauai. Oahu is the best island without a car. I would go around the island first day to get my barrings and see what I wanted to go back to. The bus does a loop of the island for about a buck. You simply must make it to byodo temple on the windward side. It is a huge temple with a 15 foot budha inside. Go to www.hawaiiweb.com here you can see photo's of everything on the island.

...back to driving I would take day tour to hanama bay (cheap) 15 bucks I think with your gear. I got these rates picking up the tour through the Royal Hawaiian.

I would do a tour of Pearl Harbor. The Park Rangers are excellent story tellers. I am not a military history buff in the least and really enjoyed my visit.

I would also hop a cab to Iolani Palace. You can also tour the nearby missionary settlement house. I have not done the later put plan to on this trip. A great book on Hawaiian history " A concise history of the Hawaiian Island" by Dr. Phil Barnes. I bought it on Amazon it will make any historical site visits very meaningful, only 86 pages long. I think it should be required reading if you are coming from mainland U.S.

OOOHHH you are there in November same time as Hawaii international film festival. Look it up on the internet. You watch a film an then the director and sometimes lead Actors come out and speak about the work. I would go to the old hawaii theatre built 1912 and gorgeous. You can combine this theatre visit with dinner in nearby china town.Tickets are free if memory serves not like $25 pop you pay at the NY film festival.

You also at some point might want to hop a cab to Ono's in Kapaholu (if memory serves). Incredible local food on the cheap Wednesday night my fav chicken lau lau.

Main thing is get out of Waikiki. Coming from the east coast you will even appreciate waikiki but I would still hussle to see other parts of the island.

I would also hop a cab to Roy's in Hawaii kai. There is a sister Roy's different chef of course, in the wall street area. Amazing EuroAsian cuisine, the restaurant on Oahu was his first and you might get lucky and have Roy Yamaguchi as your chef. Roberts Hawaii for tours, maybe they have something going out to byodo temple. I would highly recommend a hike. My fav is Makapu lighthouse. But if that is to far for you make your way to diamond head crater just south of waikiki, early morning.

So look into day tours but don't fill your time these are boing and rushed often.

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 07:41 AM
jennifer

you are just a wealth of information carol!! thank u so much!!! we should do lunch soon and talk about this in more detail. been to bar pitti on 6th av?

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 09:39 AM
xxx

I am a bit hawaii obsessed if case you did not notice. I hope some of this does helps. Don't know that bar.

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 01:09 PM
Nikki

I just saw an episode of "Girl Meets Hawaii" on the travel channel and the host toured budget ways to do Hawaii. In a great segment she took the bus around the ENTIRE island of Oahu. The bus stops at a what seemed like a ton of great places and runs every haour hour...according to the report. They also mentioned that the transit system is ranked at the top nationally. Seemed like a good way to see the sights if you want to travel without driving. Cabs are also a good way to get around.

p.s. I can't drive either!

p.s.s. Thanks to Carol for the great info!