Search

Haleakala Tour Co?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 01:46 PM
Lara

Haleakala Tour Co?

Has anyone used maui bike downhill (or any other tour co) for the sunrise tour... I heard that it is crowded at the top and kind of annoying to stay in the group while coming down through the national park. We are considering another tour company that meets after sunrise and starts lower down on the volcano to avoid the crowds...Any suggestions?

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 04:36 AM
Anna

Lara, we decided not to do the bike tours for the reasons you mentioned. Instead we took the Pony Express tour down into the crater. We loved it.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 06:09 AM
kcd

I can't imaging going up Haleakala, and not going to the summit for sunrise! It's one of the most amazing sites you'll ever see! Yes, it's crowded and COLD, but the sunrise and the pictures you'll take are unbeliveable. We did the bike ride down with Maui downhill, and thought they were great! Yes, it does take a while for all of the bike groups to get going, but once you're on the road, the crowd has dissapated and you'll see more amazing scenery, while you ride through the clouds. I would vote for the complete experience, or don't bother.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 07:40 AM
Lara

Thanks Anna and kcd
We were kind of feeling the same way as kcd mentioned...if we are going all the way to the Volcano, we might as well have the entire experience. Who knows if we will ever return there.
Anna...what is the Pony Express?

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 08:46 AM
Alissa

I think we used Maui Mountain Riders. The guides were excellent, and the ride was one of the most incredible things I've ever experienced!!

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 11:23 AM
Bill

Hi Lara, I've posted before on this subject, and a lot of people don't agree with me, but I'm a big fan of the self-guided (no group) downhill. My wife and I are the types that just don't care for organized tours - we want to do our own thing! Anyway, some comments will be that it's too dangerous, but we saw no problems at all and are going again in June. We used the Haleakala Bike Co., and thought they were great, but there may be others also.
Now, another point, whether you do the sunrise, or go self-guided are two different questions. Both types have sunrise starts, and also later in the day. We did a 9AM start, which included a van ride to the top and park tour, so we saw everything except the sunrise, then the van takes you back to the park entrance for the biking - we found it to be plenty long, and had all day to get down, you can stop as you wish at wineries etc. Hope this helps.