Reload this Page >

Haleakala Bike Company - Comments?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 1999, 06:04 AM
mark

My wife and I are planning on doing the Haleakala Bike thing when we visit Maui in May. The Haleakala Bike Company sounds like a good alternative to the rigid, "follow the leader" type rides offered. My question is, has anyone else used them? Is it safe? Any other comments would be appreciated...

Old Apr 27th, 1999, 07:19 AM
Leslie

Mark, I can't comment on the Haleakala Bike Company, but I would highly recommend Aloha Bike Company. We just got back from a trip to Maui last week. The bike trip was one of the highlights of our vacation. It was a small group (7), they take a max of 12 people. The bikes were fabulous: 24 gears and very easy to handle (prior to this trip I hadn't ridden a bike in about 20 years). It was go at your own pace and the group made several stops including a protea flower farm, and we finished up at the winery with a really nice picnic lunch. It was great fun. Marc Frazier, the owner/operator was a wonderful source of info about the island and he's a genuinely nice guy, too. I wouldn't hesitate taking this bike ride again. In fact, we met some people who were doing it fot the 4th time.

Have fun on your vacation. leslie

Old Apr 28th, 1999, 06:47 PM
Tom

Just did the trip with this company on April 13th with my 12 year old daughter. We liked the freedom to be on our own and to go at own pace. No one to follow! We took the $49 tour which doesn't start from the top and we also didn't have to get up as early. It starts from just outside the entrance to the Park. We were resp. for our own transportation to their office and had to be in Haiku for 8:30 a.m. but since we had own car - no problem. Then van drove us up with instructions and tidbits about the area. Got gear, helmets and a map. Off we went! Only thing, check about gloves. We had to buy them $20-25/pr. They had some but a little used. I really didn't want to use gloves with someone else's sweat on them. The ride was a real rush! Took my video along and got some great action shots of curves and cars! I'm not sure if they allow this with the guided tours. Stopped in Makawao for lunch and then continued to Haiku. You'll have a great time in Maui!

Old Apr 28th, 1999, 06:50 PM
Tom

Also, call Activity Owners Association (800)398-9698 or (808)871-7947, ask for Jen. We got 1/2 price vouchers for this trip so it only cost $24.50. They have limited numbers of vouchers each month. Check out their website:
www.maui.org.

Old May 3rd, 1999, 12:01 PM
Steph

We went on the sunrise trip with Haleakala Bike Company and it was the highlight of our trip. We went on a Thursday morning and Bob Zimmerman was our driver. He was absolutely wonderful! He talked the whole way up the mountain, pointing out landmarks, giving us background, and keeping us awake and excited. We didn't go to the top for the sunrise, he took us to a better lower lookout -- we were right at the side of the crater -- and, we were the only people there! We got on the bikes outside of the park entrance, and were on our own. We had the bikes until 4pm that day (we were back around 10am and were ready to go back to bed after getting up at 2:30 to drive from Kaanapali) didn't have to stay with the group or stop when they did. We were completely on our own. It seems like it was more fun than having to stay in a line and stop when they did and not stop when they didn't. We stopped for picutres and breaks and breakfast and even took a couple of detours. I'd say go for it with this company. They were great! We thouroughly enjoyed the trip!