Gulf beach after Disney stay?

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 08:12 AM
Sandy

Gulf beach after Disney stay?

After a Disney stay - what is a family area for 3 days on gulf coast? Looking for nice quiet beach area.

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 09:01 AM
HarryR

Check out either Clearwater Beach or Sand Key which is right next to it. Great beaches and good dining. Pretty direct drive over from Orlando.

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 09:18 AM
J T Kirk

Treasure Island, which isn't really an island, is south of Clearwater and has a beautiful beach. Sarasota, which would be a longer drive and a bit more expensive, offers a nice little town with some good shopping and restaurants. There's also Longboat Key and Anna Marie, around Bradenton. Some of these beaches make it into the Top Ten Beaches list (I can never remember which ones, though, or who it is that votes).

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 09:19 AM
Bob

Try Sanibel Island or Captiva Island.
Was very nice last time I was there. Lots o stuff to do..Plus you can turn the kids loose on the bike paths all over the island.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 07:38 PM
Dale

Went to WDW and Orlando for 5 nights and Sanibel for 4 nights. Afterwhich I should have made it 1 or 2 nights in WDW and at least a week in Sanibel. Loved the beaches, shelling, etc..

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 04:45 AM
joan

Sandy, have you looked into Vero Beach, on the west coast? Very beautiful, a nice rustic change from the mouse. Disney even has a resort over there, or you could just drive over, head north, and find a little oceanfront mom-and-pop place in Vero or Floridana beach. From May through October you will almost certainly see turtles nesting on the beach there at night.

Side note to Captain Kirk:
Treasure Island most definitely IS an island...I have the bridge pass to prove it! (Bridge to the north to Madeira Beach, bridge to the east to St. Pete, bridge to the south to St. Pete Beach!)

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 05:38 AM
ron

sandy - here's a link to the clearwater beaches with some hotel offers http://www.clearwaterbeach.com; sand key is "next door". sanibel is great, but quite a long drive. enjoy

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 05:53 AM
xxxx

FYI - Vero Beach is on the East Coast, not West Coast.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 12:42 PM
joan

Oops - meant to say West Coast!