Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Gruene Hall/New Braunfels--Please help me plan!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2010, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love live music and have decided that the next concert venue on my "bucket list" should be Gruene Hall in New Braunfels, but I have never been to that part of Texas and have some questions:

--Which is the best place to fly into? San Antonio or Austin?

--How long is the drive from either?

--Where is the best place to stay in New Braunfels? Is there someplace within walking distance?

--Any other tips about seeing a show there?

--What else is there to do in town or in the area?

Thanks!
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 06:12 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Here's the link to the dance hall - check their calendar for events
http://www.gruenehall.com/

Either airport will work. Use Google maps to check it out yourself. Austin to Gruene is 45.9 miles and San Antonio is 37.1 miles. I'd fly into Austin because I love that airport AND the live music in the airport.

If you like B&Bs, you can stay in Gruene -
http://www.gruenemansioninn.com/

LOTS to see and do in the area. Do a search on this site and read some suggestions. Tubing, shopping, wildflowers, etc.
Enjoy planning your trip!
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 07:14 AM

Gruene is not walking distance to New Braunfels so I would definitely stay in Gruene. You can see the whole town and catch a show at Gruene Hall in one day. You'll probably be bored after that. Keep in mind that Gruene Hall is very, very rustic, so leave your fancy clothes at home.

Some of the best shows we've seen at the Hall have been the free shows during daytime hours. The only one we've paid for was Robert Earl Keene. He's worth paying for!!

And I agree with starrs, fly into Austin and spend the rest of your time there. If you are into music, you can't miss Austin.

What time of the year are you planning on going?
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Rustic is fine by me!

I have paid to see Robert Earl Keen and yes, he was worth it!

One of my favorite artists is playing there on October 8th which is also (I just learned) the weekend of their "Wine and Music Festival" so I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing! Thoughts?
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 08:07 AM

Gruene Mansion Inn is an excellent lodging choice. My mom and I stayed in the Carriage Haus which is a free standing old building and would stay there again. Our private, covered patio opened on to the green space between Grist Mill Restaurant and could see the outdoor area of Gruene Hall.

If there is a festival of any kind the lodging fills up quickly so don't hesitate or you'll have to stay outside of Gruene in New Braunfels and that fills up, too, if it's a popular festival. The two towns are very close but you can't beat the convenience and charm of Gruene Mansion for concert night at Gruene Hall.

We flew through Austin our first trip and it was very convenient as we were able to visit Lady Bird Johnson's Wildflower Center and the Salt Lick BBQ on the way back to Austin airport.
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 11:55 AM

The Wine and Music Festival is great. I would definitely reserve a room NOW so you can just walk "home" after the concert and festival.
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 12:01 PM

I just went to update my calendar with the date of the wine festival and realized it's the same dates as ACL (Austin City Limits Music Festival), so I guess I'll be skipping Gruene's festival this year.

Visiting Austin over that three-day weekend will be very difficult as it's probable that most hotel rooms are already booked.
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Wow--I wonder why they are having both on the same weekend?

Thanks for the info!
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 12:40 PM

I don't think ACL bothers to coordinate with little rinky dinky Gruene! ACL is HUGE and sells out every year.
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

LOL--oh, I see!
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 06:09 AM

I didn't see where you live, but remember that New Braunfels/Gruene has been over 90 degrees for several weeks. The humidity is very high. Anywhere from 70% to 90% on some days. Gruene Hall is NOT air conditioned (at least last time I heard.) So be prepared.
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 06:20 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I think she's looking at an October show.
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 07:15 AM

musicfan: My husband and I had a fantastic time listening to a live band in Gruene Hall...I think you'd call the music western country swing...there were some great dancers on the floor...my husband and I jumped in and had a great time trying to figure out how to 2-step without getting run over by the experts!

We actually stayed in Austin. Austin is a great town! I'm going to post a short trip report on Austin as soon as I finish the long trip report I'm working on for Switzerland. There is another old dance hall in Austin area as well which also has fun dancing. As soon as I get hold of my notes I'll post it for you.

We loved staying at the Carriage House Inn, a b&b in Austin, in case you decide its convenient to spend some time in Austin. From there we drove to San Antonio, to Gruene Hall, and enjoyed lots of music in Austin.

In San Antonio we saw the Alamo but otherwise I liked Austin lots better than San Antonio.

Gruene is very tiny...I would only stay there long enough for your concert if you really want to walk back to your hotel. It's cute, and atmospheric, but tiny.

Find out if the bats are flying in Austin. We enjoyed that from the bridge and its an unusual site.

Enjoy!
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Melissa! Sounds like FUN!

IF I end up going to the show I'm considering, Austin is probably not a possibility because it is the same weekend as the Austin City Limits Festival which sold out months ago and is apparently massive in scope.

If I don't go to the October show, there will be others. I am determined to get to Gruene Hall for a show sometime soon and your tips will come in handy. Will look forward to your trip report.
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 07:23 AM

We went to Gruene Hall last night for "Two Ton Tuesdays" and it was AWESOME! Apparently, every Tuesday evening this particular band called "Two Tons of Steel" plays there, and they were terrific. I had heard about them before but never seen them perform. We happened to be in New Braunfels and I stumbled upon this website: http://www.swingingruene.com which shows the Gruene Hall musical line-up, and I was like "WOW! Two Tons is playing here TONITE!" Some people took swing dance lessons on the dancefloor right before the show - that looked like a lot of fun too! We're definitely "going gruene" again! Also, we didn't float the river, but everyone we talked to said that it's all up and running fine post-flood.