Ground Zero tickets

Feb 13th, 2002, 04:55 AM
mary

Ground Zero tickets

Does anyone have information on tickets for the Ground Zero viewing platform? When should we show up at S.Seaport to wait for tickets? We will be in town Friday thru Sunday. Thank you. Mary

Feb 13th, 2002, 05:06 AM
lisa

Here is a link to an article about how to get tickets. Essentially, you line up at South Street Seaport, beginning at 11 am (I think). They hand out timed tickets for that day in order, when they run out, they start handing out tickets for the next morning. I think the platform opens earlier than the ticket booth does.

http://www.ny1.com/ny/Search/SubTopic/index.html?&contentintid=18375&search_result=1

Feb 13th, 2002, 07:25 AM
rqf

They start handing out tickets at the South St. Seaport at about 10:30 am. The first tickets will be stamped with a viewing time of 11 to 11:30 am.The ticket (free) will be stamped with a half hour viewing time. I believe 250 tickets are distributed for each half hour viewing slot.. When all tickets for that day are handed out tickets for the next day will be distributed each showing a half hour viewing time from 9 to 11 am.
The viewing platform opens at 9 am. My son, who works a block from the viewing platform, told me he has seen the police allow people, without tickets, to enter the viewing platform before 9am. He doesn't know if this is a regular practice. 40 people are allowed on the viewing platform at a time and are allowed to remain on the platform for 4 or 5 minutes.

Feb 13th, 2002, 08:26 AM
shaggy

I can't imagine anyone wanting to see Ground Zero- Unless of course you know someone who passed away there and need some closure. It doesn't seem right to turn it into a tourist attraction.

Feb 13th, 2002, 08:33 AM
xx

The Pearl Harbor memorial is a tourist attraction - thousands died there.
The battlefield at Gettysburg is a tourist attraction and many thousands died there.Why is the WTC any different?

Feb 13th, 2002, 08:54 AM
shaggy

They're still removing remains (human and otherwise) from the site. The most recent being this past weekend. It's just too soon!

Feb 13th, 2002, 09:52 AM
mary

Thank you for all the information. I can understand the mixed feelings about Ground Zero, but we do see it as a Memorial. The last time we were in NYC we were at the WTC, and our son (14) ask ed to go there. We all lost something that day, and it still stirs strong emotions in all of us. We have the greatest respect for NY and its citizens. Thank you for your help. Mary and family

Feb 13th, 2002, 11:13 AM
ttt

tttvtt

Feb 13th, 2002, 02:33 PM
????

tickets? why would anyone want to see such a depressing sad thing? NYC is filled with so much culture which would be better and upbeat.

Feb 13th, 2002, 02:46 PM
Roz

Yes, there are many "upbeat" things to do in NYC, but, people who go to Ground Zero aren't going for entertainment, and it is hardly seen as a "tourist attraction". People from all over the world have gone to the site to pay their respects, and the sacred area is seen as a memorial to the horrific tragedy. The "tickets" are free, and just a way to organize the large crowds.

Feb 13th, 2002, 03:07 PM
x

My brother goes at least once a week. "Attraction" is not the word he uses while searching for the 193 fellow FDNY members who are still missing or when he breaks into tears when he looks into the eye's of a retired firemen who wonders if the body that was just found is his son.

It is ongoing human tragedy - not a tourist attraction. Eventually, like Pearl Harbor and Gettysburg, the attraction part becomes more appropriate. Go if you must.

Feb 13th, 2002, 03:39 PM
mjh

Please see my reply to this issue under the NYC topic. I meant to reply to this message but mistakenly started a new topic.

I know what I did wrong. Sorry

Feb 15th, 2002, 08:03 AM
Lupe

Please forgive me for asking, but I was having a discussion with some friends about this. Is it wrong to take pictures from the Ground Zero viewing platform? Let me here your comments. I personally feel as though it is the same as taking pictures at a cemetary, which is just wrong!

Feb 15th, 2002, 08:55 AM
apple

The differences between Grond Zero and Gettysburg or Pearl Harbor are many, but the most obvious is TIMING.

People today tell jokes on TV about Lincoln being shot? Think anyone was telling those jokes in 1866?

Feb 19th, 2002, 09:26 AM
Bill

I went to ground zero only once because I lost a friend who worked for the Windows on the World restaurant. I beg all tourists to please give us some time before turning the site into a memorial like Pearl Harbor or Gettysburg. It is too soon turn the site into a tourist attraction.

Feb 19th, 2002, 09:43 AM
Ken

Bill, Thanks for your input. I don't believe the intent is to turn it into a "tourist attraction". People (NYers and tourists alike) simply want/need to pay their respects. When we were there the atmosphere was as it should be; somber and respectful to victims and their friends and family. This was a horrible loss to all.

Search this Thread