First-Timer

Feb 19th, 2002, 05:30 AM
Dan

First-Timer

Hello Everyone!

My wife and I will be in Frisco CO March 1st thru the 4th. We both love to ski, but we ski at very different levels.

I'm an advanced skier (I've been skiing snce I was 10--25yrs) and I would classify my wife and a "Mid-level" intermediate skier, although she would tend to rate herself lower that that. It's a self confidence issue with her. It's been 2 years since we've skied together (our first child seriously cut into our free time. She has skied in the "mountains" before while this will be my first trip. I was thinking of trying to get her a 1/2lesson while we are there. I would appreciate any referrals or advice you may have. I aslo wanted to know about getting a 1/2 day "back country" tour. I've always wanted to try skiing in knee-deep powder somewhere. It looks like so much fun!!!!!!

Feb 19th, 2002, 06:00 AM
Alisa

Sounds like fun. I would re-write your message using a specific heading so people can see what you are asking. It will get you more responses from the fine folks around here.

Feb 19th, 2002, 09:20 AM
coskier

Hi dan. You might get more info at epicski.com. lots of good info on instructors, back country and such

Feb 19th, 2002, 09:25 AM
Lexma90

From your base in Frisco, I would recommend ski lessons for your wife at Breckenridge. While Breck has plenty of difficult blue & black (& double-black) runs, there are quite a few blue runs (particularly at Peak 9) that are very gradual. Private lessons are VERY expensive; she might want to consider a whole-day group lesson. She might also find a group lesson less intense and more fun!

Powder skiing can be fabulous, but if you've never done it, or haven't done much (which is most of us, to be honest), keep in mind that it can be quite tiring and it's a bit different from skiing on groomed slopes or even on terrain. You might save a back country trip for another time, especially if it's your first time skiing in Colorado's high country.

Here's a hint, though. The upper-level group lessons (for levels 7, 8 & 9) tend to not have very many students; you might consider an all-day group lesson at your level while your wife takes one at her skiing level. At the upper levels, the classes are more like skiing with tips thrown in, rather than drills all day long, and the instructors tend to teach what the class wants to work on (i.e., bumps or steeps or terrain). And the instructors know lots of good runs that you might not find for yourself. The advice about lessons would be true for any of the resorts in Summit or Eagle Counties. Have a great time - you'll love skiing in Colorado! Feel free to e-mail me with other questions - I'm a Summit County skiier most weekends during ski season.

Feb 19th, 2002, 09:55 AM
Breckboy

I live in Breckenridge and agree that you should try skiing here first before you attempt a backcountry ski trip. You should hopefully get in a couple of days with fresh snow. Try to ski in the ungroomed snow and see how you like it. It will give you a feel for what backcountry is like. Your equipment will play a large part in whether or not you can even ski the natural snow.

It usually takes about 6-12 times of skiing ungroomed snow before you feel comfortable in it. But once you learn how to do it, you never go back to groomed. That's why the lines at the t-bar and 6 chair are so long on powder days. And remember, there are no friends on a powder day-just get out and ski!

Search this Thread