Search

grocery stores

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2004, 08:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grocery stores

I will be visiting Alaska in August. On day 1, we land in Anchorage at 2.30 pm, rent a car, and drive to the McKinley Princess for a 2-night stay.

Is there a convenient grocery store I can stop at on the drive to McKinley Princess ? I am looking for someplace right off the road where I can stock up with snacks, sandwiches, drinks, etc. Any suggestions would be useful. I will of course have a car - and a cooler !!

Also, for those of you who have stayed at the McKinley Princess : do they pack box lunches for day trips ? On day 2, I am taking a Denali Sightseeing Safari (7 hours in Denali State Park from milepost 184). They require that we bring our own food & drink, plus on their web site it says there is no grocery store within 50 miles, so I will have to make sure I am prepared on day 1 itself...

Sunil
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 03:52 AM

There are plenty of grocery stores in Anchorage- Carr's , Fred Meyer, Walmart. But right off the Parks and your LAST opportunity will be the Fred Meyer and/or Carr's in Wasilla. There is food at the McKinly Princess - so they probably have take out options. You are about at milepost 133 there- so you have 50 miles until your tour. There are some gas stations that also have limited "snack" food options as well.
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 05:43 AM

I'd highly recommend Fred Meyer. I lived in an Anchorage hotel for a month on business, and we made a Fred Meyer trip once a week. They have everything you are looking for there, and the selection is a lot better than Carr's.

Have a great trip!
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 05:10 AM

Where is the next grocery store on the road between Fairbanks and Denali Park Entrance.

I would like to buy food for a three day backcountry tour to the Wonder Lake.

Regards Tom
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 04:16 AM

There is NO grocery store between Denali Park and Fairbanks, except if you count some of the gas stations? 20 miles South- Cantwell has one. But the only grocery stores with a good stock is Wasilla and then Fairbanks.
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 08:30 PM

I disagree on Carr's vs. Fred Meyer. While the Carr's near Christine's hotel might have been one of the smaller, older ones, the ones in outer edges of Anchorage are much nicer stores than Fred Meyer's (although they were a lot better before Safeway came into the picture).

But all the nice stores are a long ways from the Denali area with the final Carr's in Wasilla. It's right on the Parks Hwy. The Eagle River store is also a nice place to stop.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 12:23 PM

If you have a Safeway card it can be used at Carrs to obtain the discounts.