Search

Greyhound

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2000, 01:22 PM
Roby

Greyhound

Do you know greyhound bus? Are greyhound confortable? we would like to do coast to coast by greyhound - la vegas to miami -.
I have different information, same people tell me that greyhound is very confortable,
punctual,with television and big bathroom inside and (very important for me): there is much much space between the seats.
What do you know about this? This is true?
Thanks for your help.
Roby

Old Apr 25th, 2000, 01:25 PM
John

Roby, I would not suggest Greyhound. Generally, the bus depots are not very nice, the buses marginally clean and undependable, etc. Check instead to see if Amtrak, the U.S. national rail system, has a Miami-Vegas routing. If not, you can fly fairly cheap from Vegas to Ft Lauderdale (near Miami) on Southwest Airlines.

Old Apr 25th, 2000, 01:56 PM
maryellen

Roby

I agree with John. There used to be a song "Take the Greyhound -- it's a DOG of a way to get around."

I'm not convinced that Amtak will be that much better. I have found that their schedules are often not what they say, but in terms of comfort -- it would be much better than the bus.

Southwest would be my choice!

Good luck.

Old Apr 25th, 2000, 02:02 PM
John

I ride a Greyhound Bus now and then--just to remind myself how good life is without Greyhound. Besides, it makes it seem like I'm traveling in a Third World country without having left the U.S.
Try it, it's an interesting--and eye-opening experience.
Amtrak is, unfortunately, not much better.

Old Apr 25th, 2000, 02:10 PM
Roby

Thanks for your immediatly reponse.
I'll change my next travel.
Bye.

Old Apr 25th, 2000, 04:00 PM
Owen O'Neill

I once took Greyhound from NYC to Phoenix and it was the worst trip of my life. The bathrooms are tiny and after a day on the road not always clean, the movement on and off expressways to pick up and drop off passengers is intrusive and the seats, although larger than typical airline seats, are not comfortable for long road trips. Amtrak has some great deals on passes and most major city train stations (e.g. NY, Boston, Chicago etc.) are conveniently located in the city centers.

Old Apr 26th, 2000, 06:38 AM
helen

Roby,

From your address, it looks like you are from Italy. What are the major stops on your planned itinerary? If you just want the two stops (LV and Miami), you are definitely better off flying. If this is travel over a month or two, I would investigate Amtrak: they have some multiple stop fares that I believe are similar to Eurail, etc, and may be worthwhile if you have many stops in mind. If you're thinking about something like LV, Chicago, NYC, Boston, Washington, Miami, you may want to mix up air travel (for instance, LV to Chicago, and Chicago to Boston) and train OR bus travel (for instance, Boston to NYC, NYC to Washington). In general, the trains are nicer than buses, but the bus can be a LOT cheaper. For instance, Boston-NYC one way is about $90 on Amtrak, maybe $40 on the bus. Also, Greyhound (in my opinion) tends to be more run down than some of the smaller carriers that are more local in scope. Post the stops you're interested in, and what your budget for city to city travel is, and we'll see if we can offer specific suggestions.

Old Apr 26th, 2000, 06:47 AM
helen

Roby,

I just read over the other posters comments again. Although I, too, can say that Greyhound was responsible for my most miserable travel experience ever, I will just comment that I have also taken buses on many other occasions and it has worked out fine. (I do try to stay away from Greyhound, though.) The bus lines are responsible for getting a great number of people around the US, usually at a lower cost than other modes of transportation. Often, the buses serve areas that aren't terribly accessible by rail travel, and can be prohibitively expensive for some people to visit by airline travel. So, I would just take the position that the real state of US bus travel is somewhere in between the image you proposed (which it definitely isn't) and everyone's worst travel experience on Greyhound (and there are some doozies).

Old Apr 26th, 2000, 09:38 AM
Joe

Have you considered renting a car?
That way you can stop when and where you want. Roadside motels are not that expensive, and much more comfortable than sleeping on the bus.